• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Topic: Microsoft playing hardball?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Microsoft playing hardball?

    Well since updating to IE8 I can't get google to stick in my pop-down list of recently used sites. If I go to google, then want it again 3 or 4 minutes later it'll be there. But once I've closed IE and open a new session it vanishes - almost as though Microsoft have a list of sites that they purge from the cache on starting. Is this how they hope to make us use Bing?
    David

  2. #2

    Re: Microsoft playing hardball?

    Is "Delete History On Exit" checked in your Internet Options?
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

    http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

  3. #3

    Re: Microsoft playing hardball?

    How about adding the google search bar to the top of your browser instead?

    Or switch to firefox. It is much better.

    Also worth noting is that apparently Windows 7 will not be shipping with a browser! Its as if Microsoft are finally admitting that firefox is way better and more widely used. Question is, how do you download firefox to use if you dont have a browser to get online with?!

    Maybe microsoft will charge extra for a browser, or perhaps there will be a dialogue box during installation asking what browser you would like to use, then it downloads and installs it for you......

  4. #4

    Re: Microsoft playing hardball?

    Time to switch to Google Chrome! I'm using it and liking it so far.
    - Jamie Kowalski

    All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

  5. #5

    Re: Microsoft playing hardball?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw View Post
    Time to switch to Google Chrome! I'm using it and liking it so far.
    +1 for Chrome

  6. #6

    Re: Microsoft playing hardball?

    Speaking is silver, silence is gold and searching is CHROME (LOL).

    Who else?
    Raymond

  7. #7

    Re: Microsoft playing hardball?

    Easy to lock Google into place.

    In IE8, go to the Tools menu, and select "Internet Options", and on the default "General" tab, click "Search Options", and you'll have a chance to select "Google" as your default search engine. If Google is not listed in the options, look to the lower left of the window, and click "find more search providers...."

    Steve

    BTW, I use Firefox 3.5 - it's much more extensible, and also features AdBlock.

  8. #8

    Re: Microsoft playing hardball?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenNichols View Post
    How about adding the google search bar to the top of your browser instead?

    Or switch to firefox. It is much better.

    Also worth noting is that apparently Windows 7 will not be shipping with a browser! Its as if Microsoft are finally admitting that firefox is way better and more widely used. Question is, how do you download firefox to use if you dont have a browser to get online with?!

    Maybe microsoft will charge extra for a browser, or perhaps there will be a dialogue box during installation asking what browser you would like to use, then it downloads and installs it for you......
    The reason Microsoft is not including IE in Windows 7 (at least by default) is due to legal reasons. There have been questions around IE being a monopoly or Windows being a monopoly because IE is integrated with it, depending on where you look.

    There will be no extra charge for IE. Unfortunately, the IE market share is still larger than Firefox and it will still take a year or two of growth for Firefox to catch up to IE.

    I use Firefox 98% of the time. If I run into an issue with a site that requires IE is use a Firefox extension called IE tab. It basically loads IE in a Firefox tab and works like a charm.

    -Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

  9. #9

    Re: Microsoft playing hardball?

    The biggest problem with IE 8 is that it is s-l-o-w. I installed it on one of my machines to check it out. But I'm not installing it on the others.

  10. #10

    Re: Microsoft playing hardball?

    Quote Originally Posted by LFO View Post
    . Unfortunately, the IE market share is still larger than Firefox and it will still take a year or two of growth for Firefox to catch up to IE.

    I use Firefox 98% of the time. If I run into an issue with a site that requires IE is use a Firefox extension called IE tab. It basically loads IE in a Firefox tab and works like a charm.

    -Kevin
    In what ways is firefox 'behind' IE? Whenever i use IE i always feel that firefox is way ahead. Much more user-friendly and quicker, and as Steve said "adblock" is brilliant.

    I cant find that extension called IE tab. Could you post a link to it Kevin? Thanks!

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •