• Register
  • Help

Topic: What software do you use, creating film soundtracks?

Share/Bookmark

What software do you use, creating film soundtracks?

Hi, I'm new here and want to begin making film music after listening to all of Hans Zimmer's music. I'm not really good in any instruments (maybe drums) and I don't have access to a enormous orchestra like big Hollywood composers so the only option is music software, I guess.

So I wonder what software is recommended for film music (and if you also know, for making electronica/psycadelic/goa music aswell)

Re: What software do you use, creating film soundtracks?

Here's some questions for you before I write a long post to help you.
    (Oh BTW. There's lots of software synths that can provide you with the ability to produce ANY type of music).

What is your area of expertize in music apart from drums?
    Can you read and write music? Just curious.
    Do you have experience with music sequencers?
    Are you good with computers. Macs or PCs?
    Do you listen to classical and film music a lot? Other than Hans Zimmer?

Why do you want to do film composing?
    Has money got anything to do with it?

Film composing is a tough gig. It requires tremendous discipline and dedication, not to mention talent. Both technical and musical.

Tell me more about yourself and answer these questions then we can move forward, ok?

Chalfant
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Wow... all right.

1. None.
    2. No.
    3. No.
    4. PC.
    5. Yes.
    6. Just graduated from High School, applying for work and thought I should get a hobby.
    7. No.
    -----

I know, it's just that... I listen a lot to psy/goa music aswell and I am amazed by how much bad music is made. I know it's hard but my goal is to make at least one track that surpasses some artist's today. Since they can't give me some good music, I thought maybe I'll do it myself.

Damn, Chalfant are you some kind of psychologist? It started with film music and ended with another whole different genre, haha.

Anyways, it's both film music and psy/goa, I just want to see if I am any good at this.

So... did I past the test?

The Film Composer

The last thing I'd ever want to do is take away someone's dream.
    Even worse, someone's creativity.

Scoring in general is an art form that is most revealing, passionate and a complex mix of pursuits.
    It is far and away one of the most demanding music related professions.
    It also happens to be unique due to the variety of talents one must possess.

Some of the necessary skills-
    • A passion for Music
    • A passion for Film
    • Traditional music theory
    • Non traditional music theory
    • History of music and composers
    • The ability to write most types of music
    • A broad knowledge and appreciation of world music
    • An understanding of different cultures and their music
    • Basic film making techniques
    The ability to show you are unique in your musical style. Do NOT try and be like Hans Zimmer. Be different.
    • Proficiency with computers. Both Macs and PCs
    • Ability to use music sequencers at an advanced level
    • Be proficient in the art of mixing
    • Sound design (to some extent)
    • Setting up a home studio
    Be prepared to invest a lot of money on equipment in the long run
    • You must be likable and social when need be
    • Most composers are rather intelligent too
    • You must be a passionate and caring person
    • Stability in your personal life is critical
    • Good time management skills and self discipline
    You must be able to sell yourself apart from any specific related talents.

You have one thing going for you and that's your youth.
    There's time to set a path and test the waters.
    Here's what you need to plan on doing-
    Let's start with a tough one and see if you 'pass the test' as you say.

Study Music and Film.

I would suggest you enroll in 2 classes at a local college or if funds permit at a reputable art institute offering courses in film making and music theory.

Whilst doing this you need to start thinking about setting up an affordable home studio where you can begin to learn the art of music sequencing.
    You can further your interest in your style of music too.

If you need some guidance with this I would be pleased to help you.

Now. Go out or online and sign up for a subscription to a couple of Music technology magazines like Electronic Musician, Keyboard and Sound On Sound.

You can pursue your interest with drums but I highly suggest you focus your attention on keyboard skills.
    At least the basics to start because as a composer today this is where you will spend much of your time.

Food for thought as they say..........

Chalfant

All right... let's see if I can do a Paul-Potts-surprise in orchestral music... or psy/goa...

As I said, I'm just gonna give this a try, I guess I have to get the answer to my question "software for music making" from some where else...

Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Insatiable Desire View Post
    All right... let's see if I can do a Paul-Potts-surprise in orchestral music... or psy/goa...

As I said, I'm just gonna give this a try, I guess I have to get the answer to my question "software for music making" from some where else...

Thanks anyway.
    Sorry, forgot.

OK it depends on if you use a Mac or PC.

For the Mac most pros use Logic or Digital Performer.
    For the PC you would want Cubase or Sonar.

Chalfant has offered you some excellent advise! Although I've done some scoring for industrial video's I'm really more a hobbyist and not nearly good enough to do full blown film scores. I just love music and composing. not good enough at it to make a living but it's my absolute favorite hobby!

Many years ago I took a pile of courses at a local community college on computer based music production, recording engineering etc. You might look for similar classes at a comm college near you. If you go someplace that has a good program you'll meet a lot of other folks and get a pretty good exposure to many things without having to buy them yourself and then discover that you dont like them or they dont work for you.

I run a PC with Cubase 4 on it. Had Cubase SE a few years ago. I'd reccomend it to you as a starting point. You can pick up copies of Cubase SE and SX (a little older but entirely usable) for very little money and either one would give you more than enough software power to start with (be sure you have a powerful enough PC...DAW software, particularly if you intend to import video into it for scoring, eats processor cycles and RAM very quickly. An underpowered PC will be the source of lots of frustration.

Go to user forums for whatever software you think you'ld be interested in and ask around about hardware recommendations. Lot's of folks can advise you on mainboards, CPU's, ram etc as well as help you out with software problems.

Good luck.

If I could be a little "off the wall" with some different suggestions...

Hosts: Something simple and cheap, like Acid Studio, Reaper, Samplitude Music Studio, or the entry levels of Cubase or Sonar. Then visit the forum for you host.

Try loops out for a while. You can test your musical sense and develop some mixing skills.

If you want to investigate orchestral music get GPO 4.

The other suggestions were excellent, but I thought I'd give you a different approach.

Go Back to forum