• Register
  • Help

Topic: Last.fm with fellow forum composers!

Share/Bookmark

Last.fm with fellow forum composers!

Hey everybody, I thought I'd point this out. For those of you who do not know what last.fm is, it is a site that plays music similar to artists that you like to listen to. (Pandora is another site very similar to it). Well, I was absolutely amazed at the variety of artists they had, and decided to test it out by searching my own name (Michael Obermeyer). Well, it popped up! Actually, it ended up being the name of a German Podcaster, but still surprised me for a few minutes

Surprised me enough in fact to go a bit further. I decided to do a search of a fellow forum member (Randy Bowser, in fact), and lo and behold, not only did you show up randy, but 9 other forum-member's music was acreditted for sounding similar to your music!

Curiosity has gotten the better of me, and I really want to know, were you guys aware you were on this site?
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: Last.fm with fellow forum composers!

Several of my compositions are on this website. Do you know who is responsible for this and how I may be able to contact him or her? I haven't given permission to anyone to use my music in this manner.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Just for the record, Last.fm doesn't necessarily play all the music they list (and therefore don't have to pay broadcasting rights or anything for the most part, as I think Pandora has to...) but they do list users' playlists, so if you're on someone's playlist somewhere, your name will pop up. Doesn't mean they've broken any copyright laws and are giving out your music...

EDIT: Larry, I didn't see any of your music there... the titles are listed because they are on someone's playlist, but it doesn't look like your music is actually available. They would indeed need artist's permission for that.

I have seen some of our forum Christmas albums listed on the site, so forum members who contributed to those are all probably on somewhere with their Christmas tracks. A couple years ago I noticed some of my other non-Christmas music was listed on the site as well. I even uploaded some tracks for users to listen to freely.

I seem to be on the site twice. As Sean Hannifin for my Christmas album tracks, and as Sean Patrick Hannifin for a bunch of my other work.

It's an interesting site, and I know some people who use it a lot. Don't worry, they're not up to anything fishy or illegal.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I just checked the site out and they have my CD listed from the year 2000. I still have hundreds of those CD's in boxes here at home. They have the CD listed as for sale. I wonder where they are getting those CD's from? Or maybe, no one has actually ever bought one for me to be contacted.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I just checked the site out and they have my CD listed from the year 2000. I still have hundreds of those CD's in boxes here at home. They have the CD listed as for sale. I wonder where they are getting those CD's from? Or maybe, no one has actually ever bought one for me to be contacted.
    I think they get album listings from iTunes and/or other CD selling places, so they just list it, they don't necessarily have a copy... and when you click on "buy" it just searches Amazon and assumes they might have it.

At least, from what I can tell...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Very interesting! Had never been there before - What they have listed for me are my songs from the 2008 and 2007 Garittan Christmas CD.

That's pretty random that they list a group of folks here who post a lot and call them "similar"--lol--um, well, we hang out at the same place at least!

So they don't have the MP3s, but you can click to add a song to your Playlist, and then that links you up to wherever that song was found online by the site in the first place - I guess?

Hmmmm. Well - it's promotion folks!

Randy

I searched my name and my work Canopy popped up. I clicked on the link and could not play it from Last.fm.

BUT they had download links from Amazon and iTunes where I have my CD.

I was hoping to see my name in lights!

... that was sarcasm ...

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

OK, I couldn't resist checking. Both my CDs are listed, and a lot of my GPO Christmas stuff.

Strangely, I'm also credited with "Bad Day," which I believe is by Daniel Powter. (This has happened before!)
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

I've seen similar web sites. Don't know what to think of them. Just for the heck of it, I "Googled" some of the titles of my compositions one day (MP3 files) and found them on some "never-seen-before" mp3 web site. They were just links to my music (from my own "Too Live Nurse" web site). Still, I felt a bit violated.

The internet is a crazy place. A lot of very cool things can be found on the internet. But I also find it quite scary sometimes.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Last.fm shouldn't have any MP3s or playable tracks on their site without artist permission, though I suppose, like any website allowing uploads, it's always possible for users to upload without permission, though that's definitely not what the website is intended for (illegal file sharing).

I know there are some websites, especially Chinese sites, that search the web for MP3 files and deep-link to them (that is, they link directly to your MP3 files instead of your site). Those annoy me, because they eat up some bandwidth while not necessarily leading to any new traffic for my site. Still, I'm not sure how to prevent it without complicating things too much; I do find it extremely convenient to just be able to upload an MP3 to my site and easily share a link with others. But that does mean anyone can get to it... I am giving a lot of MP3s away for free, so at least people are listening...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Go Back to forum