• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: music in progress

Share/Bookmark

music in progress

Andante
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vHokLiW0ww

Beautiful melodies from an unfinished composition. Thought I would share them here. The flowers are from the Atlanta Botanical Garden. I photographed them with a Sony A350 14 Megapixel Camera.
    www.williamwest.org

We are the makers of music and the dreamers of dreams.

Re: music in progress

Yep, you have to finish this work William.
    Very classical, beautiful, and serene with a few punctuation marks here and there. Definitely an original feel to the work within it's classical frame.
    The pictures more than adequately accompany beautifully.

Great work on both!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Also checked out Do Not Worry. A message I unfortunately forget from time to time.

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hello, William

It's a beautiful presentation at You Tube of your scrumptious music. Delicate, with stirring passages - I was going to ask what's unfinished about it, because what you have is certainly completely orchestrated and marvelously recorded. I see though, it's not completed, but you've gone ahead and made a full recording of what you have so far.

I think you've used a number of different libraries in this. It would be interesting and educational if you could list what else you used besides GPO - could you please?

It's unusual to see someone describing their own work as "beautiful"--That's a word I'd use though, so I offer back to you.

Randy

Actually everything is GPO with the exception of one hit of a Taiko Drum which came from EastWest and that was only because I was having a hard time with the bass drum in gpo.

I recorded this entirely in Finale 09. One thing I did differently for the first time was using the Short String KeySwitch instruments. Till now I have only used the String ks samples.

So all of my short notes, detache, and grace notes utilized the short bow samples. All arco, trem, and pizz were the basic KS string instruments.

All woodwinds and brass are solo instruments (not player 1, 2, etc). That's it.

...and no, I will never finish it. Much to lazy.

PS I wasn't trying to be vain about the "beautiful melody" thing. But there are a few measures that really speak to me and I do feel are beautiful and sad that they won't see the light of day since I have shelved the piece.

Thank you both so much for listening!!!!!
    www.williamwest.org

Hello again, William - Thanks so much for your reply to my reply. It's always helpful when listeners here know for sure what people use in their recordings, it avoids confusion, and like I said earlier, can be instructional.

This makes your piece another sterling example of what can be done with GPO when instruments are chosen carefully and much attention is spent on the orchestration. I guessed it was Finale or another notation program you used only because of the way the tympani behaved a few times, not as natural as when its played.

I hesitated to say anything about your "beautiful" description - I was just so surprised. I didn't think it was "vain" of you to use the word - Speaking as someone who likes to pass on suggestions in case they're found to be helpful, I'm just gently suggesting that it usually reflects best on us and our work if we are neutral in our presentations, and let others come to their own conclusions. I feel that is to our advantage more than editorializing about our own work. That's all.

Thanks again for a - BEautiful post!

Randy

OK Randy, I am most embarrassed at my f aux pas.
    I will add this to my list of things to never do again! I actually thought better of it but was too lazy to change it. The original posting verbiage was directed at my facebook crowd, who are not easily swayed to listen to Classical pieces. I really should have omitted that part of the posting for this audience. I am in full agreement on being neutral and letting the music speak or sing for itself. Thank you for reminding me!
    www.williamwest.org

Some very nice ideas here - it works well with your photos. You need to find the time to finish this!
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by William West View Post
    Andante
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vHokLiW0ww

Beautiful melodies from an unfinished composition. Thought I would share them here. The flowers are from the Atlanta Botanical Garden. I photographed them with a Sony A350 14 Megapixel Camera.
    William, this is first class on every level - composition, rendition and photography. Infact, this is one of the best and most realistic pieces I've had the pleasure to listen to. That's a credit to yourself, GPO and Finale.

There's a clarity in this that I think results from both your orchestration skills and the wise choice of GPO solo instruments for wind and brass. The timps that Randy refers to is an issue that can neither be solved by a DAW nor Finale. A timp roll or cresc has to be sampled, full stop (sorry, period!) Otherwise, the expression and realism in this shows that good writing, GPO and Finale can sometimes yield results that far exceed those produced with more complicated and expensive set ups.

The marriage between your music and photography is also well executed.

Many thanks for sharing this. If you can't complete this, call it finished as it is!

Regards,

Graham

Thank you Graham and Trent!

I had posted that this was done in Finale 2009 - I was wrong. I did this in Finale 2010 - which I am enjoying more than any earlier version.

I am still learning (after all these years) what works and what doesn't work when using GPO. Every time I think I have learned all there is to express myself with the library I find something new that then makes all of my earlier 'sketches' obsolete.

The Short bow KS and the Aggressive Short Bows have sit idly by, surely laughing at me, as I try to get my short runs and detaches crisp and clean.

I learn something new with each pass.

Thank you for listening!
    www.williamwest.org

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast