• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kabul Suite - Pt 6 - The Grey Wall

Share/Bookmark

Kabul Suite - Pt 6 - The Grey Wall

Here is "The Grey Wall", Pt 6 from the Kabul Suite.

Link: http://www.box.net/shared/nxbglo1ucm

Re: Kabul Suite - Pt 6 - The Grey Wall

It is way passed midnight overhere... so may I continue listening to this tomorrow morning. The beginning is great......

Why this Title: Kabul - Grey Wall? Why Kabul?

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    It is way passed midnight overhere... so may I continue listening to this tomorrow morning. The beginning is great......

Why this Title: Kabul - Grey Wall? Why Kabul?

Raymond
    Raymond;
    That is a good question. After I got going with the GPO, maybe 3 weeks after I bought it, I began learning about how to achieve a crescendo. First I would stack up notes played with the Violins 1 Lush, basically adding the notes in a particular chord, one by one, but quickly, and then using the automated mixing in Cubase, I would move the slider up at the same time, when I did that etc, I came up with the first part of the piece, "Call to Arms", also part of the Kabul Suite. It just sounded like a battle about to begin, so then, thru the rest of the KS, I have fleshed out as best I can, the various emotions one may feel when considering all the different angles of events like foriegn wars, so I made a CD and called it Kabul Suite, and that's what it's about.
    Thank you!
    S.

Hey cisco, Welcome to the forum!

I really enjoyed your descending chordal theme. My only concern is with it's repetition. Maybe work on a bit more variety with each repetition. Other than small "nitpicking", you have a true talent and I enjoyed the listen.

Thanks for sharing your music.

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

I second what Michael already told you. It took it a bit more time to get to your piece, but "heavens, I liked that opening statement". You must have a great story in mind, filled with pictures of disaster and disappointment. I like that solo part where you contemplate over the past themes.

Only four months GPO! Unbelievable.

With admiration,

Raymond

Hello again, sd cisco

This has a very dramatically effective feel to it. As I was when I heard another part of the Kabul Suite recently, I'm impressed with how quickly you've gotten the swing of using GPO, and with the musical imagination you bring to your work.

Why are we hearing part 6 when before this we've only heard part 1? - I guess you're not wanting to post all the parts?

Michael's
    note about how it would be worthwhile to experiment with more variety I think should be well taken. The element that made this repeating theme more redundant than it needs to be is that the repeats didn't build the piece, but basically just repeated the theme in the same we'd already heard it.

I can't know for sure the way you're working, but you're doing something that causes unnatural cut offs in several places. It sounds like editing you may have done with the audio, where everything suddenly cuts off then a new chord comes in - ?

I need to point out a guideline we have here in The Listening Room. There's a "sticky" post at the top of the page that outlines these simple rules - We wait until a piece of ours has moved off the front page before posting another one. That way, everyone has more of a chance for their work to be heard.

Very good to see you back again - Thanks for the music!

Randy

[QUOTE=Michael A. Wiktor;624071]Hey cisco, Welcome to the forum!

I really enjoyed your descending chordal theme. My only concern is with it's repetition. Maybe work on a bit more variety with each repetition. Other than small "nitpicking", you have a true talent and I enjoyed the listen.

Thanks for sharing your music.

M[/QUOTE

M - thanks for the constructive criticism - I appreciate it and thank you for listening in the first place! I am still relatively new to GPO and have been rushing myself from the get-go, staying up late at night to re-craft, tweak and try yet another revision and pay attention to many minor details. I listened to your Marionette and was suitably impressed. The most difficult instruments to deal with, for me at least, are the woodwinds. The GPO woodwinds are exceptional and beautiful, but because of their very precise nature, creating passages, where they carry the tune, supporting each other through phrasing roles, is a challenge. There must be real substance in the music you give them to play, because they are, in a way, very transparent; basically will only work together properly if you know what you're doing.
    I will listen to more of your music, but, if Marionette is any indication, you
    do know what you are doing and your arrangements are lively and animated, really percolate! So rest assured, I will study what you have done and try to assimilate some of your methods. As with most of the music I have heard from forum members, yours is very original and of considerable quality, which means I will be drawn back, to be able to take in more!
    Regards,
    S.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hello again, sd cisco

This has a very dramatically effective feel to it. As I was when I heard another part of the Kabul Suite recently, I'm impressed with how quickly you've gotten the swing of using GPO, and with the musical imagination you bring to your work.

Why are we hearing part 6 when before this we've only heard part 1? - I guess you're not wanting to post all the parts?

Michael's
    note about how it would be worthwhile to experiment with more variety I think should be well taken. The element that made this repeating theme more redundant than it needs to be is that the repeats didn't build the piece, but basically just repeated the theme in the same we'd already heard it.

I can't know for sure the way you're working, but you're doing something that causes unnatural cut offs in several places. It sounds like editing you may have done with the audio, where everything suddenly cuts off then a new chord comes in - ?

I need to point out a guideline we have here in The Listening Room. There's a "sticky" post at the top of the page that outlines these simple rules - We wait until a piece of ours has moved off the front page before posting another one. That way, everyone has more of a chance for their work to be heard.

Very good to see you back again - Thanks for the music!

Randy
    Randy, thanks again tor taking the time to listen and then write! Your remarks are well taken. Sorry about adding a second thread here. Perhaps I should slow down and check out the Rules of Engagement
    before I get in trouble!!
    So, what I have done, it to edit my original first thread to the extent I added a link to another piece from the Kabul Suite, called StrangeLand.
    Perhaps this is how I should work it?

Thanks,
    S.

Hi, sd cisco - Please don't worry about posting again so soon. Now you know the guidelines. I just needed to point them out.

I see, you added part 2 to your first thread -But no, that isn't a very good way to do it. See how I missed it? People don't always go back to a thread where they've already listened and commented.

So when we have a new piece, or another part to a piece, we make that a new thread so everyone has a chance to notice it.

Now you have parts 1 and 2 on the first thread, and part 6 here. Do we get to hear the other parts also? Just make new threads with just one part on it, waiting until your posts are off the front page, and then everyone will have the chance to hear all of your music at a pace where they can keep up.

Thanks again.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    I second what Michael already told you. It took it a bit more time to get to your piece, but "heavens, I liked that opening statement". You must have a great story in mind, filled with pictures of disaster and disappointment. I like that solo part where you contemplate over the past themes.

Only four months GPO! Unbelievable.

With admiration,

Raymond
    Raymond;
    Thanks for listening and positive feedback, I continue to develop my tool set and I am sure I can improve over time. I am astounded by the potential of GPO and consider myself as hardly scratching the surface, and thus, all is a work in progress. I have added a link to my original first thread, to; Pt 2 of Kabul Suite, StrangeLand. http://www.box.net/shared/4ifduvjm63
    Also, listening to much more of your music is on my do list for today, last night I downloaded your Symphony #1, and will comment afterwords.

Cheers!
    S.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast