• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: We're all heroes

Share/Bookmark

We're all heroes

WE'RE ALL HEROES
    Lyrics by Tom Morrison Music by Randy Bowser

From the stage show Tom and I are working on, this is a dance number that comes after the song "Zero"
    which I posted recently. The main character wants to join the army to serve his country which is at war.
    But he's rejected as 4F, due to his near sightedness, flat feet, and age.

This is a demo of the accompaniment, featuring the Garritan Authorized Steinway and a brass ensemble
    from JABB. The other instruments are from Sonar.

I'm posting this as a video file so you can see what the lyrics and melody lines are.

You'll hear a brief reprise from "Zero" when our hero is rejected, then the examining officer repeats his verse,
    this time in reference to a recruit he highly approves of instead of totally rejects as during the first verse.

Picture the recruits, awkward in their underwear (as in the Elvis photo above) but with the scene turning into
    a synchronized, unlikely dance number--complete with heads turning in unison as the guys cough etc.

I had to keep the music mono in this video.

WE'RE ALL HEROES -vid demo

Here's a stereo MP3 of the same track.

WE'RE ALL HEROES - MP3 demo

And here's a different demo of the song, using just the Steinway and JABB instruments filling in for the singers,
    so you can hear what the melodies and counterparts are.

WE'RE ALL HEROES - piano "vocal" demo

Randy

Re: We're all heroes

Alright Randy

The music is as usual impeccable and the recording (notice I didn't say rendering?) is top drawer.

I wandered back in my mind to the day I was inducted and couldn't stop laughing. If my fellow recruits and I were standing around in our underwear waiting for orders and spontaneously broke out in a dance number, we would have been kicked so hard for so long, I'd still have unhealed bruises 33 years later.

I looked for the file with you singing but couldn't find it. Getting lazy?

Great stuff

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Alright Randy

The music is as usual impeccable and the recording (notice I didn't say rendering?) is top drawer.
    Why thanks much, Ronald, --yeeeeah, dis a RECording, no Renderings around here.
    I wandered back in my mind to the day I was inducted and couldn't stop laughing. If my fellow recruits and I were standing around in our underwear waiting for orders and spontaneously broke out in a dance number, we would have been kicked so hard for so long, I'd still have unhealed bruises 33 years later.
    HAhahahaha--YEEeah, I'm sure you're right. Glad I found the picture of Elvis and the recruits - fill in the blanks if he'd broken into "Jailhouse Rock" and the other underwear clad lads had joined in as if it was just the thing to do. And the officers too of course. Wacky musical comedy stuff, you gotta love it.
    I looked for the file with you singing but couldn't find it. Getting lazy?
    Right, no vocal warblings this time. I've been doing a number of piano/"vocal" demos with JABB brass doing the honors of filling in for vocals. More accurate, easier to put together, though it means making these vid files so the lyrics can be seen/heard. Saves us all from diving for the ear plugs.
    Great stuff

Ron
    Appreciate it, Ron!

Randy

Nice writing, Mister Randy. Your music sounds great, but...it always does.

Thanks for posting. I look forward to hearing more.

Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

We want vocals, we want vocals, we.... Oh, sorry Flash back to the Dorian demos....

I watched the video and listened to the "vocal demo" version and enjoyed both - when I was watching the video I was hearing your voice singing the parts, or at least the doctors part.

Looking forward to the next installment of this latest project of yours.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi, Larry - Thanks for the kind words about my song. Tom and I are having fun with this when we can carve out time to work on it!

NOTE to all: There's a definite limitation to the piano/"vocal" demo with the brass filling in for voices. That file really wasn't meant for anyone to hear besides my partner - it was my way of showing him how his lyrics fit my melody. I posted it here for people who might be interested in what the melody lines sound like, but it's a very simple un-produced thing not meant to be any kind of final product. - Just in case that wasn't understood.

Thanks again Mr. A!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    We want vocals, we want vocals, we.... Oh, sorry Flash back to the Dorian demos....

I watched the video and listened to the "vocal demo" version and enjoyed both - when I was watching the video I was hearing your voice singing the parts, or at least the doctors part.

Looking forward to the next installment of this latest project of yours.
    HA! Well, I'm glad you took a listen, Trent, and appreciate the bit of nostalgia about those "Dorian" vocal demos.

But really, it adds a minimum of two full days work to do those vocal tracks and ends up still so barely-adequate and actually distracting from the songs themselves. I do it for fun once in awhile, but this kind of demo with instruments standing in for voices is more helpful for at least this current project.

Appreciate you stopping by, Trent.

Randy

Very nice Randy.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Hi Randy,

I think the accompaniment is beautifully orchestrated - thoroughly professional. It sounds like a very effective scene, but I really miss hearing the voices. Good luck with the show !

Best Regards,

Jack

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast