• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga vs the "real" world

Share/Bookmark

Giga vs the \"real\" world

I had an argument with one of my friends who thinks that my efforts towards the Giga platform are not very useful, in terms of realism. The main point of the argument was that he thinks music produced Giga libraries sounds too fake. (We were talking about orchestral \"classical\" samples). This is clearly not the case in my mind, but I would still like to convince him.

I do not have any demos of my own ready yet, since I am new to this world, and I am not sure my first attempts will be that good. But I am sure someone out there has demos that compares the real thing to Giga. So I am looking for something recorded live to compare with something produced with Giga. It would be fun to fool him...

Anybody?

Re: Giga vs the \"real\" world

Go to mp3.com and type in Antonio Genovino. Click on his name next and when you get to his site, download a track called \"Music for Cartoons\" and Mozarts \"Overture\". It is frightening how real it sounds and how brilliant his orchestration is.

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 11-01-2001).]

I am probably going to get flamed for this but:

Wouldn\'t your conversation with your buddy be more relevant if it was about using GS to create good music as opposed to realistic music. I take it as fact \"real\" instruments have much more depth, control,etc. than a sampler - that is they are not snapshots of a performance being manipulated. However, the point is about making great music. And so, the question becomes can you make great music with a sampler.

Yes, many of the libraries are getting very sophisticated so they can go after that \"is it live or is it memorex\" nirvana. And I believe you will be able to fool some of the people all the time.

However, I have heard a lot of great examples of music exploration using samplers, synths, etc as imitative or unique performances. I enjoy using the technology to create music, that is what this is all about right?

Flame away :-)

Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sgarsson:
    I am probably going to get flamed for this but:

Wouldn\'t your conversation with your buddy be more relevant if it was about using GS to create good music as opposed to realistic music. I take it as fact \"real\" instruments have much more depth, control,etc. than a sampler - that is they are not snapshots of a performance being manipulated. However, the point is about making great music. And so, the question becomes can you make great music with a sampler.

Yes, many of the libraries are getting very sophisticated so they can go after that \"is it live or is it memorex\" nirvana. And I believe you will be able to fool some of the people all the time.

However, I have heard a lot of great examples of music exploration using samplers, synths, etc as imitative or unique performances. I enjoy using the technology to create music, that is what this is all about right?

Flame away :-)

Scott
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the reason for wanting realism is not to prove that we can replicate an orcestra, rather we all love the sounds that acoustic instruments give us, and unfortunatly most of us do not have the LSO in our garage

I treat the synth as a instrument itself, it can produce sounds that no accoustic can.

If i make it in this industry enough to afford an orchestra, then i\'ll go with one 10 times out of 10 even if my synth sounds completely real. (gotta keep those orchestra guys and gals an income)

You will simply have to show him some very good convincing demos. Many of the demos still sound a bit fake but there are some that are very good. I think there is a composer named Martin that has the best stuff so far. I\'ll get my latest stuff online somewhere soon also. Other than some mixing issues, I\'m getting very convincing orchestrations. The whole point of all this is to be able to produce a score without having landed a hollywood size gig. It\'s also very gratifying to have an orchestra at your finger tips and to be able to create in real time. I\'m a timpanist and always wished I could play violin. Well, I can now without the years of training and many other instruments. Also, many of us don\'t have composition degrees. (I flunked some college theory classes and got too buisy composing music for games to finish school) I can read music and scores and play everything in by keyboard just fine and have a very good ear for orchestrations but I don\'t have the chops to just spit out a paper score and conduct an orchestra. These tools allow me to get the job done right now. If there is budget for an orchestra, then there is a budget for a MIDI arranger copyist score person. That is a full time career for many people in LA, translating MIDI tracks to real paper scores. Some people bitch about many of us sounding like Zimmer or Williams or other composers in hollywood. They say if the films want that sound, they will just hire those guys. Scuse me but everyone can not afford JW or Zimmer. There are TV shows and Games and low budget films that cant get those guys but we can deliver that quality for much less. That is what many of us are here for. Of course we have the tools to develope our own style too.
    Happy composing.
    Dave

Go Back to forum