• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - Program that can change sample pitch? Carillon bells...

Share/Bookmark

OT - Program that can change sample pitch? Carillon bells...

Hey everyone,

Is there a program out there than can change the pitch of samples? I don't have full Kontakt Player, and my other sampler won't do this. I'll be composing a piece for carillon bells and I was fortunate enough to run across a free sample library. However, the bells ring at about a minor sixth above their written pitch (many carillon bells are transposing instruments). I'd like them to ring tuned to A=440 so I can write choir parts with them.

Are there any programs that will retune the original sample files for me?

Re: OT - Program that can change sample pitch? Carillon bells...

Quote Originally Posted by Sonare Coeli View Post
    Hey everyone,

Is there a program out there than can change the pitch of samples? I don't have full Kontakt Player, and my other sampler won't do this. I'll be composing a piece for carillon bells and I was fortunate enough to run across a free sample library. However, the bells ring at about a minor sixth above their written pitch (many carillon bells are transposing instruments). I'd like them to ring tuned to A=440 so I can write choir parts with them.

Are there any programs that will retune the original sample files for me?
    All I could recommend is to record them and then alter their pitch in an audio program like SONAR - I have had mixed results with the "pitch shift" plug-ins but some times they're passable.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Ah yes,

I forgot about something like that! I have a Pro Tools rig downstairs so I'll do some work on the samples tonight.

Thanks, reberclark

Tyler

It's also pretty easy to make this happen with sfz. You can specify the root pitch of the sample and what keys will play the sample back (all transposed automatically). Then you don't even have to mess with the samples at all if you don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by raweber View Post
    It's also pretty easy to make this happen with sfz. You can specify the root pitch of the sample and what keys will play the sample back (all transposed automatically). Then you don't even have to mess with the samples at all if you don't want.
    Can SFZ specify fine tuning as well? The samples are approximately a minor sixth above the written pitch, but not exactly. Transposition alone would get me close, but not quite close enough.

Sonare, SFZ+, available from Cakewalk is pretty neat. It's like the well known SFZ Sound Font player from RGC which is free, but it supports 16 different fonts with one instance! And it's full of controls and effects, including a fine tuning knob for each loaded instrument. For me it's the ultimate Sound Font player.

Randy

Just slightly OT, how did you manage to unpack those free samples? I'm assuming we're talking about the same ones - after all there can't be many free Carillon out there. I managed to unzip the download, but the sfark file that it contained gave me an error message, saying that a more recent version of sfark might be needed. I checked, but couldn't find a more recent version than 2.15, so I just assumed that the sfark file was corrupt, and gave up.
    David

Go Back to forum