• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: orchestral templates

Share/Bookmark

orchestral templates

does anyone here use a template in their sequencer that has instances of the kontakt player and gpo loaded? i'm a logic user and don't own gpo as of yet so i use the exs24 sampler and have a custom template set up that has over 70 instances of the exs24 loaded as it's not multi-timbral. this saves me time having to load instruments on the fly and it also keeps the arrange window nice and tidy. ironically, i've not seen a lot of composers use templates. does anyone here use a template for gpo or does the multi-timbral and default panning make composing from an empty template a lot easier? i could just keep my current template and use that for getting ideas down and then i can load an empty template and use gpo with a good idea as to what instruments i'll need to load up. any suggestions? thanks.

Re: orchestral templates

Hi, TheThomas - Could you help us out and get your font bigger please? I can't read what you wrote. Choose "edit," select all the text, then use size 3 or 4. Thanks.

Randy

sorry, i always thought verdana looked better in a smaller font. can i also add that the music i compose is very experimental. i mix elements of electronic ambient with orchestral, so i usually end up adding new tracks to my sequencer to load synthesizers and soundscape samples etc.

Hello again - I have my screen on a large resolution, so it exaggerates the size of type. I can just about read your original post now! No, I have to squint but I got it.

I don't quite understand though--You want a template with Kontakt and GPO, but you don't own GPO? You mean this is for future reference when you buy it--?

Randy

--and now in size three - Could you actually read that above? I put Verdana at size 1 - It's broken up teeeeeny ants on my screen.

Hello again - I have my screen on a large resolution, so it exaggerates the size of type. I can just about read your original post now! No, I have to squint but I got it.

I don't quite understand though--You want a template with Kontakt and GPO, but you don't own GPO? You mean this is for future reference when you buy it--?

Randy

actually, i have no problem reading the small font. and i'm just asking for future reference. i'm composing the music for a game and really need to start composing asap. so it's important that i know what i'm doing before i get gpo.

Hello again, The Thomas - My resolution is apparently too zoomed out for the size, it's just broken up specs.

OK, well it'd be difficult for you to have templates before you have the apps that display them - I guess you mean just the list of instruments?

GPO/KP2 comes with quite a few built-in templates which may work for you. Everything from a Woodwind Quintet to a Chamber Orchestra. All the appropriate instruments load instantly, with traditional pannings, and theoretical volume levels. You'll find those right away once you have GPO on your machine.

I'm one of those writers who doesn't use templates. Sometimes I'll open up an old project, erase all the data, just leaving the particular instrumental grouping. But usually each project is so unique, I'm building each group as I need. And it really only takes minutes.

Keeping your question at the top of the page with my replies will attract the attention of other people here. Maybe somebody has something more specific for your immediate needs.

Thanks for the post.
    Randy B.

Randy,

Thanks for your response. I'm just planning ahead that's all. I was planning on setting up a template as soon as I've got GPO installed. Since I've not yet used it, I had no idea there were templates already in place. However, it's also good to know that you don't use templates and that it doesn't take long to load the instruments, maybe this is the way to go due to the style I compose in.

Thanks,
    Thomas

H'lo again - Yes, you really may find it just as easy to load the instruments you particularly need for each project. It's pretty quick and painless.

But those built in "Multis" may help you get started. Also, if you're doing a lot of cues for the game which need the same instrumentation, you could try the trick I mentioned - Call up a project, erase the tracks and tempo etc--just leave the loaded Kontackts with GPO and the track headers with each instrument - you're ready to do another piece that uses the same band.

Hang around, lots of helpful folks here.

Randy

Smile Re: orchestral templates

Hello Thomas,
    Building templates depends on two major factors. The first is how the composer thinks. The second is what compositional needs the composer has.

With GPO the thinking is a bit different than it might be with other libraries for two reasons. The first is that GPO is very efficient and the second is that GPO does not have the dozens of articulation choices that other libraries have. If you want a ton of articulation choices then you need to use GOS (Garritan Orchestral Strings).

I've created templates based on what type of sound I am going for. In other words I have a small ensemble template and a large ensemble template. I load GPO into Kontakt and have found it is useful to separate stings, brass, woodwinds and percussion into different Kontakt instances. For instance, I have solo strings and short + sus strings combined to create 1st and 2nd violin, 1st and 2nd cello, etc. you get the idea I'm sure. I make sure to take advantage of Violin 1 versus Violin 2, etc. (these are instruments in the GPO library) as it helps keep the sections from sounding exactly the same. You should listen to the individual instruments and then start combining them to fit your taste and then use that as a template. As I mentioned before, GPO is not resource intensive so I have no problems loading the keyswitch versions of every instrument. This is very convenient.

In the 32 bit world I started to use Bidule to load my Kontakt instances outside of Logic. The reason being is that I can access templates I've created with Bidule from both Logic and Digital Performer. This has been a great setup. Another great stride forward is the 64 bit version of Kontakt has been released. I haven't gone down that path yet, but from what I understand if you have the RAM and CPU you can just keep loading instruments into a single instance of Kontakt. This opens up other avenues for creating templates that don't have to be organized in a fashion that caters to a 32 bit memory address scheme.

Just to reiterate, I create GPO templates based upon what instruments I want to use for a given type of ensemble. I have anywhere from 2 to 4 instruments that make up a section. I then have multiple sections. 1st violin, 2nd violin, 3rd violin, etc. I separate my Kontakt instances first by instrument type (strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion) and if need be by section.

Keep in mind that GPO was never intended to be a library that produces ultra real sounding mock-ups. Don't get me wrong, GPO can sound really good, but realistically speaking it can't do what other libraries do that require 4x the computer resources and 5x the cash to purchase them. Hence, creating templates is a bit less stressful than it is with, say, a VSL. If you want that kind of product than you need to go with Garritan Orchestral Strings. The original is now out of production, but GOS 2 is due out sometime this year. (I think it is this year.) Given how ground breaking GOS was and how well it stands up against other libraries despite being a bit long in the tooth, we can expect GOS 2 to knock our socks off. I know I'm saving for it!

Hopefully this is the kind of information you are looking for. If you have more questions I'm sure either myself or others on the forum will be glad to answer them.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    H'lo again - Yes, you really may find it just as easy to load the instruments you particularly need for each project. It's pretty quick and painless.

But those built in "Multis" may help you get started. Also, if you're doing a lot of cues for the game which need the same instrumentation, you could try the trick I mentioned - Call up a project, erase the tracks and tempo etc--just leave the loaded Kontackts with GPO and the track headers with each instrument - you're ready to do another piece that uses the same band.

Hang around, lots of helpful folks here.

Randy
    Hey Randy,
    If you have a hard time reading smaller fonts and you are using Firefox, use CNTRL + to zoom in and CNTRL - to zoom out. It has helped me out of the exact dilemma you had with this thread.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum