• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hanson's Symphony No 3 - Movement "2" for Wind Ensemble

Share/Bookmark

Hanson's Symphony No 3 - Movement "2" for Wind Ensemble

Here is the second movement of Howard Hanson's Symphony No. 3 for Wind Ensemble and one of the prettiest movements of any symphony I have ever heard. Again, as with the first movement I posted, this is a Finale 2009 audio file enhanced a bit using Sound Forge Audio Studio. I tried my best to get as good a recording as I could.

http://www.box.net/shared/nykxk0o7n0

I'd like to point out one observation about Hanson's third symphony. At the end of each of the first three movements, Hanson ends each one in, what I would call, a kind of a question mark. It's like he was saying, "I'm taking you on this musical journey, but we're not there yet. We need to go a little farther before we get to the end." Now, that's just my interpretation and I'm probably wrong, but it's how it comes across to me.
    I hope you all enjoy this and I would really appreciate as much feedback as possible.

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Re: Hanson's Symphony No 3 - Movement "2" for Wind Ensemble

Starting at rehearsal number 2, I'd have liked to hear what was originally 1st and 2nd violins more clearly, rather than the lower section of the cannon.

just before 7, I think the whole wind ensemble is overpowering that horn theme (the downward octave leap), which, in my opinion is important to be clearly heard.

the tutti just before 12 is REALLY nicely done!
    by the way, love the touch of glockenspiel at around rehearsal 14. very subtle, very nice.

I'm looking forward the the next movement, which I quite honestly think will work wonderfully well for wind ensemble.

This remains one of my favourite of Hanson's symphonies.
    I might have liked a tiny bit more dynamic contrast in the recording.

Wow Gary, I really like this. I think you did an impressive job in this transcription/arrangement.

Before I listened to the first movement you posted earlier I only had 1 Howard Hanson CD, which did not include this. Since then I downloaded a 4 CD set with Hanson conducting. I've enjoyed it but am still not familiar with everything enough to make specific comments on this except to say I really like what you've done.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    Starting at rehearsal number 2, I'd have liked to hear what was originally 1st and 2nd violins more clearly, rather than the lower section of the cannon.

just before 7, I think the whole wind ensemble is overpowering that horn theme (the downward octave leap), which, in my opinion is important to be clearly heard.

the tutti just before 12 is REALLY nicely done!
    by the way, love the touch of glockenspiel at around rehearsal 14. very subtle, very nice.

I'm looking forward the the next movement, which I quite honestly think will work wonderfully well for wind ensemble.

This remains one of my favourite of Hanson's symphonies.
    I might have liked a tiny bit more dynamic contrast in the recording.
    Hi Michel!

I really appreciate your input. I am looking at the score now and I don't know how I missed those two areas you mentioned, but I really appreciate you noticing them. I will see what I can do and repost it. I also wish I would have been able to bring out the timpani more. They're way too soft for me. I just don't have the time to put the whole project through Sonar as I would prefer. This was the only movement I did not shorten. There was just no place to cut anything without unraveling the entire movement, IMO. Thanks, too, about the compliment about the glockenspiel. I would hope if Hanson were alive today he would approve. I am finishing a few changes on next movement and should be done soon. It has taken the most amount of time because of how many measures it is, but it sure was a lot of fun! I think you'll be surprised what I used for the strings at 14 in the 3rd movement. Thanks again! You really know your Hanson!

Gary A.

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    Wow Gary, I really like this. I think you did an impressive job in this transcription/arrangement.

Before I listened to the first movement you posted earlier I only had 1 Howard Hanson CD, which did not include this. Since then I downloaded a 4 CD set with Hanson conducting. I've enjoyed it but am still not familiar with everything enough to make specific comments on this except to say I really like what you've done.
    Thanks a lot for the compliment, Trent! It really means a lot. I'm so glad you downloaded the 4 CD set with Hanson doing the conducting. I've heard one other recording of this symphony conducted by someone else and it just isn't the same. He knows what he wants. That was the thing I was trying to do in the transcription, match the feeling he puts into his music. I'm really glad you're enjoying this journey with me.

Gary A.

Hi, Gary A.

Sublime music very nicely rendered - You should be very happy with the sound of this. I thoroughly enjoyed the performance. You're fortunate to have Michel's expert notes on those passages which are not balanced in accordance with the score--Great that you found that feedback helpful.

Thanks much!

Randy

Go Back to forum