• Register
  • Help

Topic: Randy's on a roll!

Share/Bookmark

Randy's on a roll!

Check this out! Randy and I had a brief discussion over in the Listening Room about tymp rolls - and he kindly posted a demo of what can be achieved using, in this case, Sonar. Here it is:

http://www.box.net/shared/004p1qkpll

I would say that's a convincing result Randy, especially the initial louder hit and the 'humanisation' you've crafted into this. Thanks for sharing this as an example of 'good practice'.

Regards,

Graham

Re: Randy's on a roll!

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch View Post
    Check this out! Randy and I had a brief discussion over in the Listening Room about tymp rolls - and he kindly posted a demo of what can be achieved using, in this case, Sonar. Here it is:

http://www.box.net/shared/004p1qkpll

I would say that's a convincing result Randy, especially the initial louder hit and the 'humanisation' you've crafted into this. Thanks for sharing this as an example of 'good practice'.

Regards,

Graham
    Forgive my expression here but, thats damed good.

Lib

Re: Randy's on a roll!

Hey--well thank you Libitina and Graham both!

Nice surprise to see you post this, Graham. It was a spur of the moment inspiration for the Listening Room thread where tympani rolls came up.

Glad you like that initial louder hit, and then the "humanized" finish.

As I said in the LR, I "roll my own" as needed for projects that need tymp rolls, instead of inserting the same file over and over in various pieces. And also as I said there, this was literally a 2 minute project.

For those interested - here's a more full description of my approach to this:

Playing the two different samples (right and left hand hits) with my two forefingers on the keyboard, I listen to a metronome count in of one measure and then do the best I can to play the notes, alternating as fast as I can, with no concerns about the velocity levels. I do no quantizing, and do No editing to make the Note On events more perfect--the whole point is to capture all the natural timing errors.

Working in Sonar, I use the "Length" tool under Process to change the start times to 50% of the original, but leave the lengths the same. Now the MIDI file is exactly half the length of the original, and the roll is sounding better already.

I copy and paste it right after the original clip. I erase or add as needed to fill the time I need to span - in this demo it was 2 measures.

In the Piano Roll View, with the grid off, holding the Ctrl key down, I sweep through the velocities with the pencil tool to shape the volume the way I want. In this case, leaving the high velocity for the first several hits, then suddenly swooping down. From there it's a slow climb up, leaving just the last few hits at full value of 127.

I make a quick check to make sure none of the velocity values of two consecutive notes are exactly the same, making changes as needed. I also look at the notes to make sure there aren't any gaps that sound clunky. If there are, I hand insert a note or two to fix that.

It's pretty much a done deal then. In this little demo, I rendered it to Audio, applied an S.I.R impulse response of an 1800 seat theatre. I also applied a volume envelope to the .wav file, recording the automation in real time, so that I could broaden the dynamic range even more--boosting the volume at the start, swooping down a bit, then swooping back up again for the final swell. This lets the volume go beyond the full MIDI volume value of 127.

Ta Da. Sounds like a lot, but when that sort of thing is second nature, it clicks right along. I think speed is good when doing something like this, forcing yourself to not become too tight and fussy about it--the whole point is to retain as much natural variation as possible.

Thanks again, Graham for the post. And libitina, since I know you'll be getting GPO soon, there's another little preview for you.

Randy

Go Back to forum