• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: You Tube - GPO solo string with ribbon controller

Share/Bookmark

You Tube - GPO solo string with ribbon controller

I think Bosone who posted this video at You Tube is a Forum member -?

I just now stumbled on this video he posted quite awhile back. He's demonstrating a home-made ribbon controller he added to his keyboard. In the vid he's playing a solo string from GPO and it sounds very good.

It sounds like the ribbon is controlling CC1, so these kind of results would be possible with the standard mod wheel.

I think it's a good demonstration that with a LOT of expressive playing, a solo string in GPO can sound better than some people may have thought.

RIBBON CONTROLLER DEMO OF GPO STRING

Randy

Re: You Tube - GPO solo string with ribbon controller

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I think Bosone who posted this video at You Tube is a Forum member -?

I just now stumbled on this video he posted quite awhile back. He's demonstrating a home-made ribbon controller he added to his keyboard. In the vid he's playing a solo string from GPO and it sounds very good.

It sounds like the ribbon is controlling CC1, so these kind of results would be possible with the standard mod wheel.

I think it's a good demonstration that with a LOT of expressive playing, a solo string in GPO can sound better than some people may have thought.

RIBBON CONTROLLER DEMO OF GPO STRING

Randy

Thanks for the post, Randy. I'd like to find some instructions on how to put something like this together!

Here's his website as well. I couldn't find any explanation of how he put that together, but there's some great *free* samples for royalty free use .

http://www.alchemystudio.it/Index.htm

Tyler

What strikes me a little is that I have mentioned about a thousand times that I am using a graphical tablet to do the same (but with less investment) but hardly anybody seemed to take notice.

Probably it is one of those things that are too simple to believe
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F View Post
    What strikes me a little is that I have mentioned about a thousand times that I am using a graphical tablet to do the same (but with less investment) but hardly anybody seemed to take notice.

This is the first I heard of it - I probably wasn't listening the first 999 times. Can you describe how you set something like that up? Sounds interesting (for a future investment)!

EDIT: found this link http://createdigitalmusic.com/2006/0...blet-theremin/

Looks interesting!

Rob

lol! Hi, Hannes - I do recall you saying that. I'd love to get a graphical tablet and emulate how you work with it. - Make yourself a Video and put it up on You Tube! That's what made that post interesting, the visuals of seeing him work with his controller of choice--No implication that his was the best way.

Randy

Doepfer specializes in DIY MIDI products.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F View Post

Hannes, I am thinking of trying this. I have a Wacom tablet and WMIDI by Nicholas Fournel looks good. How do you route your MIDI from tablet to sequencer? MIDI-Ox? Something similar? Thank you for your help.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Quote Originally Posted by Sonare Coeli View Post
    Thanks for the post, Randy. I'd like to find some instructions on how to put something like this together!
    Opting for today's linear potentiometers I think would yield a much more senstive and higher resolution ribbon style controller for a fraction of the cost from just five years ago. One could build a USB device with more than one "ribbon" controlling different cc's for under $100 in parts!

I added a smaller type of this ribbon to one of my wind controllers to allow me additional cc access! With curve compensation, the results are quite linear. I think for most that the high learning curve would be in creating the USB driver but I could definitely assist those interested.

Novelty things I've also used before to control GPO/Strad with varying levels of success:
    • PC games joystick
    • PC games steering wheel/pedals
    • Wii Controller (via PC)
    What I'd really like to do though is use my midi-keyboard and midi-controllers to control a game - I can't help feeling it would give a big advantage in games like Battlefield 2 but I've never succeeded in doing it that way round.

Quote Originally Posted by L0W View Post
    What I'd really like to do though is use my midi-keyboard and midi-controllers to control a game - I can't help feeling it would give a big advantage in games like Battlefield 2 but I've never succeeded in doing it that way round.
    This would be funny to see. How would a midi keyboard give one an advantage in gaming? I think it would slow a player down as it takes longer to press the keys down to the contacts.

I like the idea of using the Wiimote with MIDI, especially now that the MotionPlus is available. It could be fun to use for adding expression as well as tempo control (conducting).

Go Back to forum