• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Voyage of the Dream Maker

Share/Bookmark

Voyage of the Dream Maker

I haven't posted here in the listening room for a long while. I've been working on a "fantasy music" album, and this is one of the pieces I hope to include on it. It's about 6.5 minutes, all GPO, created with Overture 4. Hope you enjoy!

(It's my opus 50... yay! )
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Voyage of the Dream Maker

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin View Post
    I haven't posted here in the listening room for a long while. I've been working on a "fantasy music" album, and this is one of the pieces I hope to include on it. It's about 6.5 minutes, all GPO, created with Overture 4. Hope you enjoy!

(It's my opus 50... yay! )
    Hey Sean - great dynamics and variety of voices and general orchestration - a lovely, friendly and gentle piece. You sure know how to put the GPO through its paces!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

"...I haven't posted here in the listening room for a long while..."

Now There's a major under-statement! It's been Waaaaay too long, Sean.

So this is the first piece of yours I've heard in ages, and that alone made it a special treat. I remember you liking to compose melodic, diatonic, very pleasing things - THIS one seems like it's like The Ultimate Sean Hannifin piece.

Many folk characteristics, definitely with a healthy dose of the modern cinematic style, very open and fresh sounding - I love this.

Thanks much, Sean - And I wish you the best on the fantasy music album you're assembling!

Randy

This has a GREAT sound and feel to it, well done!
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Nice one, Mister Sean Patrick! Very smooth and melodic. Good mixing job. I like it.

Keep up the good work.

My Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Sean

This is a very nice little piece that has some very nice moods in it.

I am curious about your opus statement. I know of a few guys that are anal about the word, claiming that in order for this to be an Opus 50, all 50 works would have had to be published. I of course disagree and think that it means just the order of works done, whether published or not.

So I guess my question is, which one does opus mean to you?

Either way it is still a nice work.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Many thanks sd, Randy, Hippie, Larry and Ron for your encouraging words!!

Yeah, folk music and film music are definite inspirations for me... I love the grand orchestration of film music with the simple catchy-ness of folk tunes...

About opus numbers... I've never had any sheet music published (maybe someday?). I know professional publishers use opus numbers to keep track of their publications, but I don't see anything wrong with composers using them for unpublished work as well to personally keep track of their own works. In fact, I'd argue that it's good practice for composers to keep their own work cataloged with opus numbers for posterity at least. I would think composers themselves would be much better at organizing their work than publishers; I wish more classical composers had...

Thank you guys again for listening, I really appreciate it.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Sean,

so many feelings in this piece, I like it very much!

And I like the way you arranged your composition.

Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Very aptly named - this is very relaxing (even when the background is more urgent) and, at times, dream like. Very pretty and often cinematic.

some thoughts on opus numbers - I think most composer's used their own methods. Beethoven had a lot of things published before he called something Opus 1. Even after Opus 1, not all published works were given Opus numbers. There are composers who have hundreds of opus numbers - prolific and numbering everything, and some who have very few

I've written music most of my life, though mostly simple songs, so I can't number what I've written. I'll most likely start number when (if) I get published or when (if) something is performed by more than a small, local group.
    Trent P. McDonald

Sean! Great to see you on here again!

A beautiful piece you have here. Your woodwind writing is particularly well done and I like your orchestration technique in general.

I was just writing about how I would liked to have heard more dynamic contrast, then I reached the change!

Nice percussive work and harp runs in there too!

Your instrumentation works well, and the counter melodies certainly compliment one another.

Wonderful build to the final section. Some elements of "Dance with Wolves" and "Out of Africa" style themes in there in the second half (that's a huge compliment by the way, as I love John Williams).

The key changes also came across unexpectedly and unpredictable for the most part which is always nice when you first hear a piece.

Well done, young man!

Thanks for posting this... any more coming?

Best wishes,
    Paul
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast