• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - Westminster Chimes "melody" under copyright?

Share/Bookmark

OT - Westminster Chimes "melody" under copyright?

Hello everyone,

This is a very odd question, but I was wondering if the common tune that Big Ben in London plays in different forms at different parts of the hour is under copyright. I suppose that because of the way in which I'd be using it, it wouldn't really matter - but I just thought I'd make sure.

Thanks,
    Tyler

Re: OT - Westminster Chimes "melody" under copyright?

Hi, Tyler - I'm pretty sure the melodies ringing out of Westminster Abbey have been the same ones for centuries, which would make them having been created before there was a copyright law.

You should feel free to incorporate the progressions in your piece--I am certain.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Tyler - I'm pretty sure the melodies ringing out of Westminster Abbey have been the same ones for centuries, which would make them having been created before there was a copyright law.

You should feel free to incorporate the progressions in your piece--I am certain.

Randy
    Thanks Randy!

I assumed as much, but I do have to say - there are some very unlikely things under copyright!

Tyler

What a surprising co-incidence! I am about half done with a free fantasy for piano based very loosely on the Westminster Chimes! I saw your header, and wondered if I had posted something about it and forgot it!

Richard

Go Back to forum