• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about overlapping samples when mapping

Share/Bookmark

Question about overlapping samples when mapping

When mapping a region, how do you get samples to \"overlap\" using the editor?

I\'m trying to map a hi-hat note so that the low level hits are tighter hits with the tip and the heavy hits are hit with the shaft of the stick. The problem is that if I\'m playing a quick pattern that goes from heavy accents to lighter eighth notes, the shaft samples get cut off immediately to the point of sounding unnatural.

Is there a setting in the editor which will allow these samples to play out their full value?

Thanks.

Re: Question about overlapping samples when mapping

It\'s actually pretty easy to get around this.

The hihats are probably set up in \'exclusive keygroup\' mode - which forces new notes to cut off old notes if they\'re in the same key group.

Just pull up the hat sounds you want to hear overlap in the editor.

Identify the target regions one at a time.

Right click on the first region and you should see a box including a dialog something like \'key group\' with a number. If this is set to \'0\', that note will play for as long as the envelope settings allow. If it\'s set to any other number, chances are it\'s been designed to be cut off by other regions with the same key group number.

Do this for all the hihat regions.

Don\'t forget to save.

[This message has been edited by Chadwick (edited 10-26-2001).]

Thanks for the reply, Chadwick.

I\'ll try it tomorrow. One thing that\'s slightly different is that I\'m dealing with just one region (one note) and it\'s the different velocity samples that are cutting each other off.

Hopefully the keygroup switch will work as you described within one single region. That certainly would be a sensible approach.

Thanks again.

YouHey Kobb,

You have \"self Mask\" checked in the region. So the sample is cutting itself off when you retrigger.

For the \"overlap\" you are ooking for its jsut done wwith different velocity layers, you create a velocity splits in a region and thenassign different samples (or the same sample with different settings) to each velocity split.

ANOTHER way around the problem you are having is to pull off the self masking and assign EG MOD control to the hi hat for release (or decay its a user preference in a case like this) control, you can then effectively control the length of the hi hat sample in real time with a CC controller like the Mod wheel or better yet a Gen Prupose controller.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Kobb,

I think that the way Gst is setup, velocity switching from a hard sample to a soft sample is going to kill the hard sample with or without self mask on.

Self mask is designed to save polyphony. Say you play a single layer crash at a velocity of 64, and then play another at 127. Without self masking checked in the mix/layer case properties box, you would theoretically hear the soft (64)crash sustain underneath the loud (127)one. In reality, most people accept that your ear won\'t really hear the two, just the beginning of the first and then the when the loud crash comes in it basically drowns out the sustain of the soft one. So WITH self masking checked the soft crash is cutoff by the loud one, but you don\'t usually notice it because the loud one has all of what you\'re hearing in the soft one and more in terms of audio energy.

Self masking isn\'t a good idea for all sounds, just certain types of more percussive sounds. Mind you, some people also like building up the energy in a ride by letting successive hits roll over eachother, so it\'s definitely a feature to be used judiciously.

Kobb, if you want to hear the soft and loud versions of your hi hat hits decay across each other, I think you\'re going to have to assign them to seperate regions and trigger from different notes. Just use EG1 release to decide how much decay of each you want to hear.

Chadwick and Kobb,

If you are using different samples with velocity and want them to ring over each other\'s decay, I believe the unchecking the box for \"Sustain Defeat\" and will allow this. I forget tho....

BTW, KOBB, the Self Mask and Sustain efeat boxes are in the Mix/Layer tab of the editor, when ou select a region

Thanks for all the great input, guys.

I\'m hoping to fire up the GS system later tonight. I\'ll try out your suggestions and let you know how it went.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    If you are using different samples with velocity and want them to ring over each other\'s decay, I believe the unchecking the box for \"Sustain Defeat\" and will allow this. I forget tho....

BTW, KOBB, the Self Mask and Sustain efeat boxes are in the Mix/Layer tab of the editor, when ou select a region
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried it out, but unfortunately it didn\'t seem to help my specific problem. I\'m on to other things tonight, but I\'ll revisit this problem later and let you know what I discover.

Thanks again for the tips.

Go Back to forum