• Register
  • Help

Topic: SMALL TOWN, USA (March)

Share/Bookmark

SMALL TOWN, USA (March)

A march designed for small bands with limited instrumentation.

I am still perplexed by the percussion meld between Finale & Garritan.
    I have placed dynamic marks of p, pp, pppp on the snare part & given the mixer level of 0, but it's still too loud. Suggestions needed!
    Gary

1st effort--ignore
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7839514&q=hi

2nd time
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7839813&q=hi

Re: SMALL TOWN, USA (March)

EDIT: This response from me was to the first version of "Small Town" posted, and no longer makes the sense it did, now that a better recording has been posted. Follow the thread--you'll see that the original had very loud percussion drowning the rest out, now it's barely audible. Had to add this edit or people would think I'm crazy--as Trent apparently did. lol. RB

Hiya, Gary

I shouldn't make promises that I probably can't keep. I recall saying I would avoid technical comments on your pieces, since it gets redundant.

BUT I can't help myself--My friend, you simply Must get your reverb under control. Your band in this is playing in the next county and all I'm getting are the ambient echoes of that distant concert.

I've said it before, but I distinctly recall a period when you had the reverb situation fixed and under control. You have to get into Finale and turn that Wet slider way down, the dry Up.

As for the percussion problem - There has to be a way in Finale to program your dynamic markings so that it effects the Velocities of those notes. For the rest of the instruments the markings are controlling MIDI CC1--But the percussion doesn't respond to CC1, but to Velocity instead. If you can't edit the velocities directly, I'm saying there has to be a way for those marks to effect them.

Seemed like a neat piece--what I could make out of it.

Randy

I guess I heard it through the fog of reverb better than Randy... A nice little march - reminds me of a carousel. I do not agree about the snare - it was, if anything, unrealistically soft - using Randy's analogy the drummer was in the room behind the rest of the band and the door between was closed.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse View Post
    A march designed for small bands with limited instrumentation.

I am still perplexed by the percussion meld between Finale & Garritan.
    I have placed dynamic marks of p, pp, pppp on the snare part & given the mixer level of 0, but it's still too loud. Suggestions needed!
    Gary

1st effort--ignore
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7839514&q=hi

2nd time
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7839813&q=hi
    First of all, when I tried to download the 1st effort, I got a, "No such song." pop-up.

The 2nd time went better. I would suggest a dryer rendering and really bring up the percussion, especially the snare. Having directed small town bands, I can say with authority that the snare and base drum are what keeps the organization moving and they much be much more substantial than what I can here in the 2nd rendition.

The music itself, however, is another matter - quite well crafted.

--after seeing the auto emails about this thread, I had to come see what you guys were talking about.

Ah--You posted a new dryer version, Gary, and it sounds much better. This is what Trent listened to because---

---now the percussion which was drowning everything out last time can hardly be heard. - ? And I agree with Tom that it's still too muddy with wet reverb.

Tom, his first link isn't meant to be active anymore, that's why he says "Ignore" above it.

Randy

Thanks for your hints, Randy. I adjusted the Finale winds & the auddio files & the mixer.. It's better, but hardly a good representation. I played each part alone & in combintion with other parts & it seemed to fit.
    The combination is still not clean & percussion is too sof† now.

Thanks for listening, Tom. I keep hearing about wet & dry and Randy helped me understand it, but I am once again lost in finding any wet or dry tool.

Thanks for listening, Trent. It may all be subliminal for me.
    I spent 36 years in Bands trying to close the door on loud drummers...lol

Gary

Go Back to forum