• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Shooting for a day job

Share/Bookmark

OT: Shooting for a day job

Hey everyone,

It's been a crazy year this year. I've been running my own HVAC business essentially since 2001. The economy has pretty much whooped me this year and at the same time, the ONE day job that I would ever consider taking in this field is coming open for the first time in almost 30 years. It's the job of mechanical inspector for the city I live in. Decent pay, benefits, a steady paycheck.......I think I'm ready. Now for the rush to get certified and put myself at the top of the heap for consideration. There are still scoring projects here and there but I should be able to keep up with all of that just fine and then the pay from those gigs is just icing on the cake. Wish me luck. Ironically, if I get the job, I'll probably have even more time to hang on the forums.

Re: OT: Shooting for a day job

Wish you luck Eric. There comes a time in everyone's life where you have to do something completely different just to keep that paycheck coming in. Survival is important and sometimes what we do for survivial does not coincide with what we like to do most, cause what we like to do most, doesn't pay much...

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins View Post
    Hey everyone,

It's been a crazy year this year. I've been running my own HVAC business essentially since 2001. The economy has pretty much whooped me this year and at the same time, the ONE day job that I would ever consider taking in this field is coming open for the first time in almost 30 years. It's the job of mechanical inspector for the city I live in. Decent pay, benefits, a steady paycheck.......I think I'm ready. Now for the rush to get certified and put myself at the top of the heap for consideration. There are still scoring projects here and there but I should be able to keep up with all of that just fine and then the pay from those gigs is just icing on the cake. Wish me luck. Ironically, if I get the job, I'll probably have even more time to hang on the forums.
    I'm sure you will be just fine! Running your own business really does not leave you with much free time as a rule. You will most likely find yourself in a more relaxed state of mind and with much more time to do your scoring projects. You deserve to leave the headaches to someone else. I did.
    Best of luck!
    Styxx

Best of luck, Eric!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Mister Eric,

I've already told everybody there in your town what a scoundrel you are so you won't get the job.

But serially, I hope that you are the next person to be picked as Mechanical Inspector.

Regards and good luck,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I have to say that I am seriously starting to fantasize about a 5 day work week and a steady paycheck. I cant remember the last time I sat down in the studio and didnt feel guilty because I wasnt doing something/anything for the business. There's always something else to be done. I am ready for a job that I can leave at the office at the end of the day. I remember how exciting it used to be on a Saturday morning to wake up, grab coffee, and head down to the studio. Saturday actually meant something then. Looking forward to that again. Cheers.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I have to say that I am seriously starting to fantasize about a 5 day work week and a steady paycheck. I cant remember the last time I sat down in the studio and didnt feel guilty because I wasnt doing something/anything for the business. There's always something else to be done. I am ready for a job that I can leave at the office at the end of the day. I remember how exciting it used to be on a Saturday morning to wake up, grab coffee, and head down to the studio. Saturday actually meant something then. Looking forward to that again. Cheers.

At least two years from now, you'll wonder why you didn't get/do this right away. Why two years? Time needed to get used to a regular life and be sure you won't get any more rest than before. A lot of things will come up, eventually to take over your whole life. The same with retired people, first they dream of doing less, then after a while they tell you how busy they are doing other things......

But, I don't completely know what this new job involves (different continents) all the success in the world.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    . The same with retired people, first they dream of doing less, then after a while they tell you how busy they are doing other things......

Raymond
    Well, it does seem that I had more free time before I retired!

Richard

Good luck in getting this day job.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum