• Register
  • Help

Topic: International Film Music Awards

Share/Bookmark

International Film Music Awards

I did realize increasing number of new film festival and competition worldwide. All of them bring to the industry new film awards. So, what is - in your opinion - the most important international film music award of today? Is it still "good old" Oscar? Or, French Ceasar? Or any new developed awards, like IFMCA?
    Petr Pololanik, M.A.
    Conductor, Orchestrator, Music Producer
    Capellen Music Production

Re: International Film Music Awards

I'd say in terms of visibility and getting more work for a composer, hands down the Oscar. Even winning a Grammy wouldn't give you the opportunities an Oscar would.

The Oscars and Grammy's.
    However, this does not give one any long term guarantees and as far as I'm concerned it means nothing.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

I agree, it's the Oscar. But lately I've disagreed BIG TIME about the Academy's choices for best score... It's 230 AM and I feel a rant coming on...

-Alexandre Desplat's Benjamin Button score was my favorite, I was really rooting for it this year. I also thought Thomas Newman's Wall-E score was visionary and inspiring. What the hell!?!? Maybe it's just that the score for Slumdog wasn't really my thing. Maybe it was just the "trendy" choice. But it didn't feel right to me.

-Dario Marionelli's score for atonement last year wasn't as good as Giacchino's Ratatouille... Mr. Giacchino really knocked my socks off with that score.

- It almost makes me cry to think that Gustavo Santoalla won TWO OSCARS IN A ROW in 2005 and 2006. IMO, he did not deserve them! So many other talented composers competing, with better chops, more musicality, more skill. I'm not saying Mr. Santoalla didn't get those score for Babel and Brokeback right. But best score of the year? nah, I didn't feel that was even close.

Just pains me that "best score of the year" seems, at least lately, to be less about the actual score.. and more about whats in style and cool... or something... I almost cried when Thomas Newman, Alex Desplat, Danny Elfman, AND James Newton Howard (all film composer GODS in my book) lost to A.R. Rahman, a composer who seemed to be riding the Slumdog train more than anything else. In fact, I actually didn't even care for the score very much.

Bah! am I the only one who feels this way? Enough ranting, time to sleep, g'night.

-Alex

I agree with you Alex. I also very often can't believe what the choices for Oscar winners are. I could now post so many examples but I don't want to start a discussion about every one of them
    I guess there is just much politics onboard here, or at least the infamous academic approach. I mean come on, there are so many great composers and their respective OSTs that not only didn't win but weren't even nominated, ever!!
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View my profile at NorthernSounds.net
    and visit my homesite: www.henrykiwan.com

Oscars mean nothing to me since that 1999 year when they gave oscar for "La vita e bella" soundtrack instead of Saving Private Ryan ( John Williams ) / Thin Red Line ( Hans Zimmer)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCarter View Post
    Oscars mean nothing to me since that 1999 year when they gave oscar for "La vita e bella" soundtrack instead of Saving Private Ryan ( John Williams ) / Thin Red Line ( Hans Zimmer)
    I think that's the main difference - do we mean the most important prize for "us" or "others"? For us the most valuable thing about oscars would probably be the fact it is prestigious - in general - and thus it would surely help in getting big gigs
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View my profile at NorthernSounds.net
    and visit my homesite: www.henrykiwan.com

Thanks to all opinions. I just wanted to know what is the most respected award today, considering the quality and objectivity. It seems that Oscar keeps the priority. Thanks!
    Petr Pololanik, M.A.
    Conductor, Orchestrator, Music Producer
    Capellen Music Production

as far as film music awards goes, there is an international film music festival taking place for the past 4 years, with awards for both novel composers and veteran ones.

People like Christopher Young, David Arnold, Michael Giacchino, John Ottman, Basil Poledouris, Patrick Doyle, John Debney, etc. have gone there to impart conferences and to perform concerts + give the winners their awards.

It is placed in Spain and it's called "international film music festival Ciudad de Ubeda".

The awards are called "Jerry Goldsmith Award for new composers" and "Goldspirit Award" for veterans.

a few links:
    http://www.soundtrack.net/news/article/?id=949
    http://congreso.bsospirit.com/

I am not affiliated to them other than the fact that I just won one of the awards

It's a great festival, I highly recommend it...top hollywood composers keep coming back every year, so I guess they're having a great time there

Best,

Ivan Palomares

as far as film music awards goes, there is an international film music festival taking place for the past 4 years, with awards for both novel composers and veteran ones.

People like Christopher Young, David Arnold, Michael Giacchino, John Ottman, Basil Poledouris, Patrick Doyle, John Debney, etc. have gone there to impart conferences and to perform concerts + give the winners their awards.

It is placed in Spain and it's called "international film music festival Ciudad de Ubeda".

The awards are called "Jerry Goldsmith Award for new composers" and "Goldspirit Award" for veterans.
    That's really cool! Thanks for sharing

-Alex

Go Back to forum