• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: A Life Changing Experience

Share/Bookmark

OT: A Life Changing Experience

Last Sunday while sitting around the dinner table with my family I had a stroke. Fortunately, it was a minor stroke with no permanent brain damage. I spent 2 days in the hospital and am to stay down for the next 2 weeks.

Needless to say, this was a shot across the bow and wake up call for me to take better care of myself. The reason for my posting this is that I know that there are lots of guys in Garritanville who are in my age bracket (I'm 60).

I hope all can benefit from my experience by checking out your risk factors for stroke and making the changes you need to make. Like many others, I live in a high stress environment with career, raising 2 teens, financial challenges, marriage, etc. I will have to learn to relax and adopt a new lifestyle - drop weight, lower blood pressure, no drinking, among others.

Please take a few minutes to check out how you stack up against the stroke risk factors at:

http://www.americanheart.org/present...dentifier=4716

DO THIS FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR LOVED ONES!!

Tom

Re: OT: A Life Changing Experience

Oh boy, what a nasty experience that must have been. Since you are now recovering, keep up the laughs, humor, music and start enjoying those small things. Please, stay with us a little longer...... 60 is too young.

Raymond

Very thoughtful post.

Good luck with implementing the changes in your life!

Glad to hear you are doing well. Take good care of yourself. Asprin, fish oil, garlic, and doctors orders.

Tom - Wow! That's scary! I am glad it was mild and that you are doing better.
    Trent P. McDonald

Good luck Tom! Hope you're able to change some of the things that may have led to this event.

Fortunately, there are many good medications on the market today that can compensate for some of our bad habits. So, please don't further stress yourself out by trying to change too many habits at the same time! I resisted taking meds myself, until around 60, but now feel more confident in maintaining my health.
    Wider is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas J View Post
    Last Sunday while sitting around the dinner table with my family I had a stroke. Fortunately, it was a minor stroke with no permanent brain damage. I spent 2 days in the hospital and am to stay down for the next 2 weeks.

Needless to say, this was a shot across the bow and wake up call for me to take better care of myself. The reason for my posting this is that I know that there are lots of guys in Garritanville who are in my age bracket (I'm 60).

I hope all can benefit from my experience by checking out your risk factors for stroke and making the changes you need to make. Like many others, I live in a high stress environment with career, raising 2 teens, financial challenges, marriage, etc. I will have to learn to relax and adopt a new lifestyle - drop weight, lower blood pressure, no drinking, among others.

Please take a few minutes to check out how you stack up against the stroke risk factors at:

http://www.americanheart.org/present...dentifier=4716

DO THIS FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR LOVED ONES!!

Tom
    You are indeed fortunate to have got a warning with a minor attack! You are to be commended for reminding others to wake up and take care!

I am about old enough to be your father, and so far no problems of that sort, probably in large part because I chose my ancestors carefully, and in part because I have sufficient vanity to keep myself fit with diet and exercise (very mild!) being another part. No alcohol or tobacco probably helps quite a bit, also.

Richard

Go Back to forum