• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Orchestrational Challenge No. 22

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Orchestration Challenge No. 22

My idea for Orchestration Challenge No. 22 explores the meter and key aspects of a composition/arrangement.

The inspiration for this perspective comes from the 50’s-60’s film score whereupon a theme (and very often, an original pop song) reappears in another location(s) within the film, but in a different meter and usually a different key than the original instance. Although not unique to that era, this technique seems to have really flourished at that time.

Two classic examples are from the Oscar-winning film scores of Michael Todd’s 1956 epic production “Around The World In 80 Days”, and Blake Edwards’ 1961 whimsical production of “Breakfast at Tiffany’s”.

In “80 Days”, the composer, the incomparable Victor Young, wrote a simple, charming waltz for the main theme (which ultimately had tremendous success outside the movie as a pop song). But for the main title music, the very first music a filmgoer hears, Young arranged the theme/song in 4/4, giving it an entirely different vibe.

For “Tiffany”, mega-composer Henry Mancini wrote the plaintive waltz “Moon River” (also an amazingly popular song outside the movie), but also scored the theme in 4/4 as underscoring. He also took his main title theme (which is in 4/4), and arranged it as a jazz waltz in other underscoring.

This technique, of course, provides thematic unity to a score. But I also thought forum members could have some fun composing and developing a theme malleable enough to satisfy both duple and triple meters. The key change is to add just a bit more texture to your mini-opus

Here’s the proposed specification for Orchestration Challenge No. 22

1.- Entrant would compose and state in 4/4 time a two-to-four-bar maximum length theme using a single voice (monophonic, I.E., you can use a cello section playing the single-voiced line/theme in unison). IOW, the theme is short and lay bare (NO background please). This initial statement is for easy comparison with the development sections that are to follow (which are fully orchestrated).

2.- Based on the theme stated in “1”, compose and orchestrate an "A"-section in 4/4 time in any key;

3.- Based on that same theme originally stated in “1”, compose and orchestrate a "B"-section in 3/4 time in a different key than the "A" section.

4.- OPTIONALLY , time and length permitting, entrants may add a “C”-section or coda in any way they wish. I.E., a recapitulation of the “A”-section, new material, different meter, different key, … OR … simply end the piece at the end of the “B”-section. This is entirely optional and YOUR choice!

5.- As usual, the entire piece should be about 2-3 minutes in length; maximum of 4 minutes long.

Proposed deadline is Monday, August 24, 2009 (any time zone).

General guidelines for this challenge can be found at Sean's site:
    http://www.wizardwalk.com/OrchestrationChallenges/

Entries should be sent to Sean Hannifin at seanthebest@gmail.com

As always, many thanks to Sean for administering the Challenge!

Comments, my friends and fellow forum members?

Best regards,

Frank

(Please note: Thanks for your patience! Medical issues with my mom have prevented me from getting this posted sooner … my sincere apologies to all of you for the delay).

Re: Garritan Orchestrational Challenge No. 22

This sounds interesting...

You also forgot to mention "The Music Man" with "76 Trombones" and Marion's song "Good Night My Someone".
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    This sounds interesting...

You also forgot to mention "The Music Man" with "76 Trombones" and Marion's song "Good Night My Someone".
    Ahhh ... one of my favorites Rich! Of course I'm partial; I married a gal who grew up an hour West of River ... ahh ... I mean Mason City, Iowa .

Willson was too much with that 6/8 vs 3/4 treatment!! Wow! And at the end when they exchange the two themes ... tre wonderful!

The technique I'm alluding to is quite common in musical theater ... cocktail source music, underscoring, you name it ... is almost always themes from the show. Obviously, I luv the technique .

Regards,

Frank

Awesome! Sounds like fun to me, thanks for posting!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Smile Re: Garritan Orchestrational Challenge No. 22

You've come up with a very novel and interesting challenge, Frank.

I'm inspired!

Thanks
    Ian

I only wish Garritan himself would get inspired by this thread as well and finish GPO4 already.

Frank, it's great to see you here again!

This is a great concept for the new Challenge you've outlined. I like the way the Challenges have expanded so that it's not always the straight-forward "Arrange this theme" idea. There's nothing wrong with that original format, but I'm enjoying the different approaches being taken, like Ken's purely rhythmic motive, and now this compositional outline from you, Frank. Love it - Hope lots of folks take up the Challenge.

Yairhol, endearing as ever I see.

Randy

Great idea! I have one question though. The "Statement" portion. Would this be considered detached from the song? Would it be like on previous orchestrations when a simple melody was given, but we're just introducing it prior to actually using it in a song? From what I gathered, it's meant just so the listeners know what to look (or rather, listen) for in the actual composition, is this correct?
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Hi Sean and Ian,

I'm glad the proposed challenge is something you both find interesting and inspiring! It will be a lot of fun for me too to hear what everyone comes up with ... good luck and, most importantly, HAVE FUN with it!

Regards,

Frank

And note to Yairhol:

Hey Randy,

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Frank, it's great to see you here again!
    I know ... it's been a while. Thanks for your kind greeting . It's been way too long and I truly miss my daily dose of everyone's musical efforts and thoughts. I hope to be able to get back a bit more again in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    This is a great concept for the new Challenge you've outlined ... and now this compositional outline from you, Frank. Love it - Hope lots of folks take up the Challenge.
    I'm glad you find the challenge worthy ... It's a high standard the creators of No. 1 through 21 have set forth . And, Hey ... I second that Randy!! ... I DO hope we get a bunch participating this round. Hope you have fun with it!

Regards,

Frank

Go Back to forum