• Register
  • Help

Topic: Two String Quartet Samples (Too hard a song to emulate)

Share/Bookmark

Two String Quartet Samples (Too hard a song to emulate)

Getting the original sound of this clip with Garritans seems impossible. This is the best I could do.

http://www.takutogame.com/Images2/Or...l_Quartet4.mp3 - Same clip as the latter, but with a bit more layering of ensembles.
    http://www.takutogame.com/Images2/QuartetTest2.mp3 - There are 2 Violins, 2 Violas, 2 Celli, and 2 Basses in this clip. Violin #1, Viola #1, Cello #1 and Bass #1 have legato portamento set on them. Whenever there is a small interval I try to add in the portamento.

The Cello is doubled with an very round analog synth that bends.

The Original Clip:

http://www.takutogame.com/Images2/Quartet3.mp3

Garritan should release a String Quartet sample library. :-)

Re: Two String Quartet Samples (Too hard a song to emulate)

Hello,

I dont think you should be too upset about with the outcome of this project.

I thought the files sounded great! Probably as real a sound as you can get with Garritan software.

I do agree with the last comment though

Dan.
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

I think you came pretty close for using what is more or less a generic (and inexpensive) orchestra library. To my ears the GPO strings sound more like they are in a larger ensemble while the real ones are more intimate. Although the portamento helps, I think it is slightly over done in places.

I've read that GOS 2 is on the horizon. This is a string library that, I'm sure, will include instruments that could easily be used for a quartet.

All that being said, I think it is impossible to sound exactly like that string quartet unless you have samples of those instruments being played by those players - every instrument has a different sound and every instrumentalist sounds different.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hello Mark;
    I have listened to each clip several times, to try and note the differences. While there is a difference in the tonal quality, there is also some difference in the "room", perhaps not so much the reverb, but in the delay elements. You might fiddle around with that and see how it sounds. You have come pretty close anyway, but perhaps there will be a library which concentrates on replicating small string ensembles, as has been suggested - I would buy it!
    Regards,
    sd cisco

Hey, thanks for the replies everyone. :-)

I just found out today that the Garritan String Library v2 will be coming out...hopefully this year. Will be anticipating it and will try again when I've got it. =)

Hello, markhansavon - I admire what you've done here. The sound quality is perfectly acceptable, though I understand what your frustrations are.

The solo strings in GPO can sound fine in a large ensemble setting, but don't hold up with total success when so exposed. That's something generally true of GPO as a unit - Its strength is in producing full orchestral recordings. Some soloists sound fine by themselves, especially most of the woodwinds. But generally, all the samples have been tailored to sound best in large ensemble settings.

Very nice work - Thanks for posting.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hello, markhansavon - I admire what you've done here. The sound quality is perfectly acceptable, though I understand what your frustrations are.

The solo strings in GPO can sound fine in a large ensemble setting, but don't hold up with total success when so exposed. That's something generally true of GPO as a unit - Its strength is in producing full orchestral recordings. Some soloists sound fine by themselves, especially most of the woodwinds. But generally, all the samples have been tailored to sound best in large ensemble settings.

Very nice work - Thanks for posting.

Randy
    markhansavon,

All three sound good to these ears, not sure what you're aiming for that you find fault with these.

Randy, I disagree with your assessment of the Garritan solo instruments not holding up when exposed. I think my demos at Mike's K2 Scripts demonstrate this. They will never rival a live performance, I don't think any sample library can - remember the media is a recording. However with Garritan and other programmable libraries i think you can get very close to emulating recordings.

HI, Mike - Of course as always, I was offering my personal opinion, not suggesting that my opinion is somehow Fact or the only opinion possible.

I think the GPO solo strings sound fine, but it's the lack of vibrato control which tends to trip people up. I've fielded questions on the Forum from people who are disappointed in the strings, mostly because they wish they could control the heavy vibrato.

I'm sure your scripts help add more realism, but I've never tried them, so don't know from experience. And I was talking about the instruments straight out of the box without additional programming which isn't in the GPO/KP2 interface - just as Mark was working with.

Really, I'm not saying the strings are bad. I just feel that GPO's strength is in ensemble playing, rather than in having its instruments soloed.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    HI, Mike - Of course as always, I was offering my personal opinion, not suggesting that my opinion is somehow Fact or the only opinion possible.

I think the GPO solo strings sound fine, but it's the lack of vibrato control which tends to trip people up. I've fielded questions on the Forum from people who are disappointed in the strings, mostly because they wish they could control the heavy vibrato.

I'm sure your scripts help add more realism, but I've never tried them, so don't know from experience. And I was talking about the instruments straight out of the box without additional programming which isn't in the GPO/KP2 interface - just as Mark was working with.

Really, I'm not saying the strings are bad. I just feel that GPO's strength is in ensemble playing, rather than in having its instruments soloed.

Randy
    Hi Randy,

In light of some other threads - i apologize for my tone, I wasn't calling you out on your opinion, I just didn't understand what it is about the Solo strings for example that troubled you and many others (you're definitely not alone). Lack of vibrato control is an issue but one that virtually every string library has. The script demos were just a cheap plug for the PMPM, the important point is there is nothing the scripts do that cannot be done by hand, as markhansavon has done with his examples.

Go Back to forum