• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Topic: Prelude # 18 in e minor

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Prelude # 18 in e minor

    Time for another new Prelude –

    Prelude #18 in e minor

    I worked on this around the same time as the last two, so it also shares a lot of ideas with them. Of course all of the preludes should fit together to some extent.

    In fact, when I finished this I thought I had already written it… I went back through to see which one it was. Of course there are similarities to others, but it is unique….

    Anyway, I hope you enjoy this latest addition.

    Here are the preludes to this point. (A little note – remember that I am doing a circle like this (cap=major, lower=minor) – C-a-D-b-E-c#-Gb-eb-Ab-f-Bb-g - Eb-c-F-d-G-e-A-f#-B-g#-Db-bb )

    1 – Prelude in C Major
    2 - Prelude in a minor
    3 – Prelude in D Major
    4 – Prelude in b minor
    5 – Prelude in E Major
    6 - Prelude in c# minor
    7 – Prelude in Gb Major
    8 – Prelude in eb minor
    9 - Prelude in Ab Major
    10 - Prelude in f minor
    11 - Prelude in Bb Major
    12 - Prelude in g minor
    13 – Prelude in Eb Major
    14 – Prelude in c minor
    15 – Prelude in F Major
    16 – Prelude in d minor
    17 – Prelude in G Major
    16 – Prelude in e minor



    Note - #s 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17 and 18 are rendered with the Authorized Steinway. All others are rendered with the GPO Steinway.
    Trent P. McDonald

  2. #2
    Senior Member sd cisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    832

    Re: Prelude # 18 in e minor

    Trent;
    Astonishing! I love every one of these and particularly liked this one, # 18 in e minor! You sound like a very accomplished player as well as composer.
    And the Steinway sounds absolutely fabulous!
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: Prelude # 18 in e minor

    Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Trent;
    Astonishing! I love every one of these and particularly liked this one, # 18 in e minor! You sound like a very accomplished player as well as composer.
    And the Steinway sounds absolutely fabulous!
    Best regards,
    sd cisco
    Hi sd. Thanks for your enthusiastic response!

    I hate to disappoint you, but my piano skills are not all that great - I can work my way through all of the notes of these preludes, but I can't "play" them, at least not they way they are here - I take the file I create in Sibelius and import it into Cubase to touch it up and create a "performance". So these are all "performed" by the computer.

    My favorite is always the one I just wrote, so this is my favorite for now - actually it has been running through my head almost constantly since I finished it a few days ago.

    I agree with you - the Authorized Steinway is a great instrument.

    Thanks again for listening through all of these and for your response.
    Trent P. McDonald

  4. #4
    Senior Member sd cisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    832

    Re: Prelude # 18 in e minor

    Trent;
    You are very welcome, re. my enthusiastic response! As I'm sure you are aware, composing and performing are two different things. I certainly believe it is possible to compose for an instrument, yet not be able to actually perform the piece live on that instrument. But you do need to know what is and isn't possible on the instrument voice you are using. Your writing for piano is completely doable, provided one has the chops. I think I may be guilty of using unrealistically fast arpeggios in some of the music I have made with the GPO; it can be hard to change ones ways after years and years of synth use (or abuse)!!! Is Cubase your primary VSTi hosting and recording application?
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: Prelude # 18 in e minor

    Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Trent;
    You are very welcome, re. my enthusiastic response! As I'm sure you are aware, composing and performing are two different things. I certainly believe it is possible to compose for an instrument, yet not be able to actually perform the piece live on that instrument. But you do need to know what is and isn't possible on the instrument voice you are using. Your writing for piano is completely doable, provided one has the chops. I think I may be guilty of using unrealistically fast arpeggios in some of the music I have made with the GPO; it can be hard to change ones ways after years and years of synth use (or abuse)!!! Is Cubase your primary VSTi hosting and recording application?
    Best regards,
    sd cisco
    Hi again sd. I know I am guilty of writing music that might not be realistic, but at least with piano music I stand a fighting chance - I can always sit down and fumble my way through it, if nothing else. I tend to worry a little more about my orchestral music...

    Yes, Cubase is my primary hosting application. I write most of the material in Sibelius, though I may do a lot sketching with paper and pencil, but I make the final recordings in Cubase. I'm not a person who spends a huge amount of time trying to make realist recordings, which is one reason I like the Steinway - it sounds great without doing any audio engineering.
    Trent P. McDonald

  6. #6

    Re: Prelude # 18 in e minor

    Trent

    From :46 to 1:13 or so was just some neat progressions but then I always like it fast.

    This is another fine addition to your evergrowing list of preludes.

    Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

    http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: Prelude # 18 in e minor

    Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Trent

    From :46 to 1:13 or so was just some neat progressions but then I always like it fast.

    This is another fine addition to your evergrowing list of preludes.

    Ron
    Hi Ron. I remember from your post on my last 2 preludes that you like some things in your life fast - I think Aram is still snickering over your line

    Thanks for listening and for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

  8. #8

    Re: Prelude # 18 in e minor

    Applause for you, Trent - In the short window of time I have for listening to music this morning, I've now heard your Prelude #18 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

    If contrast in texture were to be the most prized attribute of music, this piece would get an A+, because the great and dramatic contrasts in this were what made me like it so much. The dissonance alongside the disciplined, melancholic classical sections - just great.

    Thanks, my friend!

    Randy

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: Prelude # 18 in e minor

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Applause for you, Trent - In the short window of time I have for listening to music this morning, I've now heard your Prelude #18 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

    If contrast in texture were to be the most prized attribute of music, this piece would get an A+, because the great and dramatic contrasts in this were what made me like it so much. The dissonance alongside the disciplined, melancholic classical sections - just great.

    Thanks, my friend!

    Randy
    Hi Randy,

    Thinking back to our discussion on my last thread, this was one I wasn't even going to take a wild stab on whether you would like or not. But I'll pretend any way - I knew you'd love this one

    In some ways the last few have been studies in contrasts, particularly #17 in G major with its stormy beginning and more lyric "body". But you are right - I did spend more time trying to create some contrast with this one - I used ever dynamic from ppp to fff, sometimes juxtaposing load and quiet sections, as well as several types of texture.

    I'm glad liked this. And seems you liked it quite bit.

    Thanks for listening and for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •