• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mixed Media Double Header

Share/Bookmark

Mixed Media Double Header

Hello Friends;
    On YouTube - Iranian Blog June 21 09
    or just the mp3 Iranian Blog - June 21 09.mp3 and also, the GPO Guarneri Solo Violin, performing Song for End of Day
    Thank you.
    sd cisco
    Last edited by sd cisco; 07-19-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Internal Reorganization

Re: Mixed Media Double Header

I did this in reverse order - I watched the video first and then listened to "Song for End of Day". This gave the "Song" a very different meaning - it became a remembrance or threnody to the people killed in the protests in Iran instead of a Nocturne for solo violin. In places it seems to have a slight mid-east flare (not as much as "Iranian Blog").

The "Iranian Blog" was a very powerful mix of image and music. Very well done.

These are both very moving pieces, though in very different ways. taken together they make a powerful and sad statement.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    I did this in reverse order - I watched the video first and then listened to "Song for End of Day". This gave the "Song" a very different meaning - it became a remembrance or threnody to the people killed in the protests in Iran instead of a Nocturne for solo violin. In places it seems to have a slight mid-east flare (not as much as "Iranian Blog").

The "Iranian Blog" was a very powerful mix of image and music. Very well done.

These are both very moving pieces, though in very different ways. taken together they make a powerful and sad statement.
    Trent;
    Thank you for your positive remarks! The listener/viewer needs to understand, that I could have lived quite happily without witnessing the subject matter events, but it happened, and I did. Each protester running down those streets, made a decision to join in, even though they might be killed while doing so.
    And I also take note of your comments on the order of appearance of the links, and have now reversed them, I think I may have been a bit too close to both pieces to see the obvious! Thank you for that!
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

Outstanding, both pieces.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    Outstanding, both pieces.
    Hi there Aram;
    Thanks for taking the time to check 'em out! On the You Tube video, my brother makes videos and posts them on You Tube under the name VideoManJohn, (his first name isn't John) and wanted to do one with this music and chose a relevant series of images and put them into the order they are in, I think he pretty well understood what the music was saying.
    Thanks again and I look forward to more of your work as well!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

These were both very good.

The Waterphone you were wondering about is one of the gong patches from EWQLSO Gold. I think EWQLSO Gold runs about $500 right now, so it would be an expensive purchase just to get the one instrument. EW products have their ups and downs just like any other library, but on the whole I have been happy with it. But I use GPO just as much if not more, so looking at it pricewise, I get alot more bang for my buck with GPO.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Hi Ron;
    Thanks for your kind words! I have found the Cymbal resources in the GPO come up a bit short, it could be entirely my fault, I may not know every trick to getting what you want out of them. Do you know of other libraries containing percussion voices, in particular cymbal voices, which would be reasonable to consider?
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

I am pretty happy with the cymbals in GPO and have found that I can get a lot of different sounds out of them using different techniques. If you mess around with some EQ on them, some good sounds occur. I don't think you have said what program you use to work with GPO. I use Sonar 8 PE and it has a number of audio tricks that can also be used.

All the libraries I know of that have any better sounds are much too expensive for my budget.

But if you find that $50 library that sounds like it should cost 20 times more, let me know.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Ron
    I am using Cubase Essential4 as the host and recording app., I use the Tascam US-122L Audio/MIDI interface, with an M-Audio 88es keyboard.
    The Tascam and the M-Audio both use USB2 to the computer. I will say, on a more general note, there is 0% latency with this setup, and besides the GPO library I also have many KORE and Proteus samples and a few freebies from the Miroslav Philharmonik.
    I will try fiddling with the EQ to see what I can do but think what I'm really looking for is a longer decay.
    Thanks,
    sd cisco

Good morning, Sd Cisco

We are so fortunate to have you as a member here. You've jumped right in, writing interesting, enthusiastic posts, and you've quickly demonstrated how dedicated you are to your music.

You've created things of striking, somber beauty in these two pieces you've posted here.

The sparking chaos in the first part of "Iranian Blog" is appropriately tense, and then you've masterfully segued into the dramatically tragic themes of the second half. Coupled with your brother's facile use of the stark images, this has really grabbed my heart in the way you clearly intended.

The accompanying "Song" featuring the GPO solo strings is full of its own special poignance.

Quite a concert. Very impressive, very effective.

--You were talking about wanting more from cymbal samples. "...what I'm really looking for is a longer decay..."

Try this and it may get an effect more like you want: Automate a reverb send on your cymbal track, and following the strike of the cymbals, boost the amount of signal going to the reverb. When you have the fading trail you want, then automate the send level back to where it was. This mixing trick can smooth out the ending of any sample which you otherwise can't control the length of.

Thanks again for the music.

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast