• Register
  • Help

Topic: Freezing 2 instances of Omnisphere => Crash

Share/Bookmark

Freezing 2 instances of Omnisphere => Crash

Hi,
    I'm using Cubase STudio 4.1.2.
    I have 2 instances of Omnisphere. One has 8 patches and the other has 3.
    I froze one of the instances and then tried to freeze the other resulting in Cubase Crash (Error message saying that a serious error has occured).
    The same happens if I try to freeze the less busy Omnisphere instance and then trying to freeze the other instance.
    Anyone have a clue on this?

Thanks.

Re: Freezing 2 instances of Omnisphere => Crash

Hi Yairhol this is probably not the 'fault' of either Cubase or Omni, its probably related to the spec of the machine your running. Not knowing what that spec is its hard to say. Omnisphere is pretty CPU/RAM intensive sometimes especially if you layer sounds. Get out your VST perfomance applet (if its in your version of Cubase) you will find this under the device menu

Also try changing the buffer setting in the sound card driver. There is a trade of between latency and the buffer though
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

What does RAM have to do with freezing a VSTi?
    The freezing generates wav files of the VSTi channels and streams them from the HD, not from RAM.
    I'm pretty (yes I am ) sure Freezing is a feature for freeing up CPU and RAM no?

Yes Yairhol your right it is for this, however the wav file is the end result, after processing. I admit I am hitting in the dark here, but during the construction of the wav file the VST track has to be played (silently) in the background and then the resulting output recorded into a wav file.

Yes it could be something else of course - see what is hapenning in the VST performance window if there is any spiking.
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Re: "What does RAM have to do with freezing a VSTi?"
    ---RAM does indeed 'have to do' with the freezing process. Like all plug-ins, VST Instruments like Omnisphere may require a lot of processor power. If you are using a moderately powerful computer or if you are using a large number of VST Instruments, you may come to a point where your computer cannot handle all VST Instruments playing back in realtime (the CPU overload indicator in the VST Performance window lights up, you get crackling sounds, etc.). Enter the Instrument Freeze function! This is how it works:
    • "When you freeze a VST Instrument, the program renders
    an audio file of the instrument output"
    ---It's during the rendering process that RAM and streaming are utilized. So once the track is frozen, yes, you are then just working basically from an audio file, but you have to get to that point first and that's where RAM, CPU and disk can all enter the picture.
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Yairhol why not post spec in your signature it helps get the best answers

Zero

I'll tell you why it doesn't make sense to me that it's a RAM issue.
    I'm able to freeze one instance of Omnisphere. It completes the freezing. I turn the project off and on again. I try to freeze the second instance of Omni and then Cubase crashes. By this stage of freezing the RAM is even more freed up than when I froze the first instance.
    Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, E-MU 1616m audio interface, Cubase Studio 4.1.2, Windows XP Pro sp.3, Omnisphere, Atmosphere, Addictive Drums, Amplitube 2 + Jimi Hendrix, Monstrous

Your system spec should run this no problem.

I would think so too and still...
    Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, E-MU 1616m audio interface, Cubase Studio 4.1.2, Windows XP Pro sp.3, Omnisphere, Atmosphere, Addictive Drums, Amplitube 2 + Jimi Hendrix, Monstrous

Go Back to forum