• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS4 CC# 32 and GSI files

Share/Bookmark

GS4 CC# 32 and GSI files

Hi,
    In a nutshell, I use a very old sequencer called "Texture" run from "Dosbox" in Win XP and the CC controller will only allow 0-127 as a value.
    i want to re map the CC#32 to a value of say 130, or above which will then hopefully call up stacked instruments "GSI" files in "Gigastudio 4".
    Interface is RME Fireface 800, and all midi is internal (no midi leads)
    I may need a small software conversion application to do this, ....so are there any suggestions?

Or, how do you load GSI files with a sequencer?

Thanks in advance
    Bryan H
    Australia
    Equipment Hardware:
    Sager laptop (Clevo)
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1
    Intel Core Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHZ 8.00 GB Ram
    2 x SSD drives 120 & 128 GB
    ST9160823AS 150GB 7200 rpm
    RME Fireface 800
    Software:
    Gigastudio 4
    Native Instruments B4 VSTi Bridged "Jbridge"
    Dosbox 0.74 running "Texture" sequencer.

Re: GS4 CC# 32 and GSI files

Hi Bryan,

It's not possible to load stacks via a CC in Giga - I tried everything, and discussed it with the developers many months back. their response was basically that stacked instruments were designed to bypass the need for program changes (their conception of the potential uses for stacks did not have within it's scope thoughts like you and I have had), and that switching stacks with different embedded gigapulse IR's would present problems in realtime convolution loading.

I did share with them some Ideas of why it would be very useful, but alas....

Best,
    Belbin

Hi Belbin,
    Thanks for the reply, I suspected that there was no way to load stacks from the sequencer, but so glad to finally put that to bed. I sincerely hope Garriton fix this stuff in their new creation. While you are here, I am about to up my ram from 2 gig to 3 gig, is there anything you know of that could effect GS4 by doing this?
    cheers
    Bryan
    Equipment Hardware:
    Sager laptop (Clevo)
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1
    Intel Core Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHZ 8.00 GB Ram
    2 x SSD drives 120 & 128 GB
    ST9160823AS 150GB 7200 rpm
    RME Fireface 800
    Software:
    Gigastudio 4
    Native Instruments B4 VSTi Bridged "Jbridge"
    Dosbox 0.74 running "Texture" sequencer.

Sorry, Bryan, cant say; As someone who's spend the last couple years + making samples instead of using them in large templates, I haven't dealt with more than 2 Gb of RAM. I've also been away from Giga since Tascam pulled the plug, save for using the editor to prep my .gig files for Kontakt's import function.

It is designed as a 64-bit sampler, however. Unlike GS3, I wouldn't suspect any kind of negative effect from increasing your RAM.

Best of Luck,

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan H View Post
    Hi Belbin,
    ... 2 gig to 3 gig, is there anything you know of that could effect GS4 by doing this?
    cheers
    Bryan
    Generally, for the PC ( not gs4 ) ... ideally you want to work in pairs to maintain DDR mode as opposed to dropping to single mode, so if you have 4 slots and want to use 3GB you'd want 2 sticks of 1GB each, and then 2 sticks of 512mb to fill 4 slots.
    You might be better going with 4 1gb sticks depending on the mother board.

All of this is going to be relative to your motherboard and how it deals with ram so it would be good to check the manufacturers web site for info.

I'm also going to assume that gs4 has a memory config. utility the same as gs3 so you would probably want to run that util. and do a load test for each of the 4 settings to see how high you can push your load in gs. and then select the best one, ... the one that gives you the most load.

Go Back to forum