• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "The Sax Brothers", along with Kontakt Player 3.5, are available for downloading !

Share/Bookmark

"The Sax Brothers", along with Kontakt Player 3.5, are available for downloading !

WOW, it is true!

The new saxes are now buyable.

I have got them all and can say that these are the best realistic sounding saxes I have ever had under my fingers.

Congratulation, Samplemodeling!

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Re: "The Sax Brothers", along with Kontakt Player 3.5, are available for downloading

I agree, these probably are the best VSTi/samples available and I have Mr Sax T.
    BUT, and it is a big but for me, I'm not sure that the sax will ever be reproduced well enough in this format to use it on a recording. Bury it along with a load of other instruments in a section and it might just pass, but stuck out on its own, it will always sound like a keyboard.
    I won't be buying the alto or bari versions even though I think they have done a tremendous job at sample modeling getting this close.
    Fortunately, I have a lovely yanigasawa and selmer tenor and alto upstairs which I will always turn to first.

K

Re: "The Sax Brothers", along with Kontakt Player 3.5, are available for downloading

Kevin,

exactly this is what you can do with the saxes best. You know that you have to learn them to play via the controllers? The controllers only bring them the life. And this is the greatest thing, because you can define when the vibrato begins, how long a tone slides to the other and much much more! The Samplemodeling`s instruments are more real virtuel instruments.

How will it sound if you put your real saxes and blow only a little air into the mouthpiece and change between the notes?

Best,

Gunther

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wright View Post
    Fortunately, I have a lovely yanigasawa and selmer tenor and alto upstairs which I will always turn to first.

K
    Umm, no offence, but i really do think if you've got access to good instruments and can play+record, that kinda goes without saying...for any samples.

Quote Originally Posted by upsider View Post
    Umm, no offence, but i really do think if you've got access to good instruments and can play+record, that kinda goes without saying...for any samples.
    I know what you mean, but consider this...
    My first instrument is piano. I have a good piano but still use VST instruments when I record. Why? Because it sounds better that my piano does recorded.
    I have a drum kit and can play, but I always use VST drums because the samples sound better than my kit as I do not have an expensive studio with all the mics and outboard gear etc.
    The point I'm trying to make is that the best VST intruments will very often sound better than the real thing assuming that you haven't got access to world class players and a great studio. This is not the same for saxophone.
    Yes I have nice saxes and I can play them (of sorts) but I can't play the lines that say, Michael Brecker once played and certainly can't get the sound he had.
    In no way am I trying to diminish the efforts of sample modeling, whom i feel have done a fantastic job with their instruments ( and I own 2 of them) but I just wonder if this is the best it will ever get with saxes. In which case, while extremely good, it will never convince.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wright View Post
    In no way am I trying to diminish the efforts of sample modeling, whom i feel have done a fantastic job with their instruments ( and I own 2 of them) but I just wonder if this is the best it will ever get with saxes. In which case, while extremely good, it will never convince.
    So any suggestions? What should they do to make it better?
    I don`t know any other sax library that is so near to the real thing.

well, just think, a lot of people didn't see coming the kind of quality VST instruments that samplemodeling has now brought to the table. Even if you feel that it's not 100% there yet (it's close though), there is reason to believe now that as time goes on, even better instruments will exist.
    Sam

Is this the best it will ever be? Of course not. Technology will progress, CPU power will grow, and better options will come out.

But, and I have said this a million times, how "convincing" does convincing have to be? Who are we trying to fool? Fellow audio enthusiasts or the general public? Typically, it's the public. It's people who will NEVER know the difference between a well programmed VSTi Sax piece and a piece played by a real instrument.

For one thing, they aren't listening for that. They are listening to enjoy the music. We aren't trying to convince sax players with these instruments. We are trying to make better music with instruments we don't have access to in the real world, or don't have the money to pay for players and equipment.

NO virtual edition of a real instrument is ever going to sound exactly like the actual instrument. That's a given.

Sometimes, I think we get too hung up on realism of instruments that we forget what we're doing with them.

Brent

Quote Originally Posted by koolkeys View Post
    NO virtual edition of a real instrument is ever going to sound exactly like the actual instrument. That's a given.
    How true, for sure!

But I was talking about comparing sample libraries, how near they are to the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist View Post
    How true, for sure!

But I was talking about comparing sample libraries, how near they are to the real thing.
    Oh, I know. I wasn't addressing you. I agree with you! I was addressing what Kevin Wright was saying.

Brent

Go Back to forum