• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help!! Lost my original score during hard disk crash

Share/Bookmark

Help!! Lost my original score during hard disk crash

I lost my Finale original score caused by a hard disk crash right after I had to replace my motherboard. All I have left is this MP3 file of my song I wrote last year.
    http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...he%20Elves.mp3

I am now faced with the task of trying to rewrite the score from scratch and find out just how good my sense of hearing is in picking out the instruments. Anyone know of an easier way? Man, I really liked this song.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Re: Help!! Lost my original score during hard disk crash

Have you tried to read the hard drive as a slave instead of a boot drive? Sometimes you can pull files off a drive that itself cannot boot. If not then you will unfortunately have to reconstruct the piece again. I have done it and it is a pain in the "you know what"!

Lesson learned... backup, backup, backup!

And most of all Good Luck!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

First: don't discard or reformat the hard drive that your score was on.

Second: do a goole search for companies that recover hard drives

Third: keep in mind that it is not always possible to recover some or all of missing files and that hard drive recovery is expensive (even if nothing of use is recovered)

This is about all you can do after the crash has happened. The best way of recovering lost or deleted files is to backup. There is no good reason not to have a good backup these days. The best way is a portable USB or firewire hard drive. Maxtor makes some with a big button on the front that you push every time you want to backup. They used to come with a customized version of Retrospect, which was great. The newer ones are a bit of a pain to work with. If you have a Mac, use time machine. If you have a pc, consider purchasing Retrospect.

(These are not the only solutions, just the ones that I have found to be successful for most of my clients. I'm sure others may want to chime in with what works best for them.)

Thanks, I have tried using it as a non-boot drive. I even tried it on another computer but no luck. I haven't reformatted it but used the OEMs recovery utility and that can't read it either. Guess I'm going to have to rewrite it from scratch as it's cheaper to rewrite than to take it to a recovery shop. At least I have the MP3. As for backups. I had done a backup the month before writing the song and had not gotten it done again before the motherboard decided to divorce me and burn. Took me three months to find a replacement and install only to have the replacement fail two months later. By that time my hard disk started giving me problems and it was too late to backup. I do have a USB drive now for backup purposes and another computer that I backup to, also. So I should be doule covered. Just happened to hit that darn open window just right. Good thing it's the only song I lost.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

You could try with program Recover Files from
    www.UndeleteUnerase.com
    Windows XP-SP2, IE7, ARIA GPO4, GPO KP2, Kontakt 3, NOTION 3, Amplitube X-GEAR, Overture 4.1, Harmony Assistant 9.5.1e, Virtual Singer, Gold SoundBase 2, OMeR 2.2, PDF to Music 1.2.1d, Miroslav Philharmonik, Sample Tank 2SE, Audacity, MuseScore 0.9.6

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe View Post
    I lost my Finale original score caused by a hard disk crash right after I had to replace my motherboard. All I have left is this MP3 file of my song I wrote last year.
    http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...he%20Elves.mp3

I am now faced with the task of trying to rewrite the score from scratch and find out just how good my sense of hearing is in picking out the instruments. Anyone know of an easier way? Man, I really liked this song.
    There is another option here too. MP to score, dont smile yet, it's not that good. MP3 files being digital can be converted to a music score the down side to this is how was the mp3 made(mono/stero). If recorded in stero the score will come out on 2 staves and obviously if in mono , 1 stave.

Google, "mp3 to score", hopeing that what you get is something that may be more usefull and easier to hear and break down. you could even convert to a wav file as this will be easier to use because it will be more visual with an editor and time line and the ability to play the smallest part for you to re-write.

Food for thought.

Rachel

A few years back we used this service to recover a crucial disk that failed (also had a corrupted backup! ) at work:

http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/

They did an excellent job but were quite expensive. (Several thousand dollars, if memory serves) I think that the had to disassemble the drive in a clean room! tricky work!

Regards,
    Chris

There are many disk recovery tools available to end users. They range in price from less than $100 to quite a bit more (amount not displayed to protect the squeamish!)

In my former life as an IT person I spent far too much time recovering data from failed hard drives. I tried several programs before settling on R-Studio. It is not the fastest, nor the least expensive, but it provided the best results, for me. You can learn more about it here:

http://www.r-studio.com/

I have recovered data from well over 20 hard disks by now, and I used R-Studio for over half of them. Only twice was I unable to recover something identified by the user as critical. In both cases the physical drive was just too badly damaged - the magnetic material was scraped by the heads or possibly some large dust particle.

A couple of other tricks to consider:
    1) if the disk is not spinning when you apply power you can try freezing it - I'm not kidding, put it in the freezer for several hours. Then let it thaw, and dry out, for several more. The contraction and subsequent expansion can sometimes free up a bearing.
    2) if that does not work, and you can find an identical drive you can swap the electronics, in most cases it comes off as a monolithic piece. This trick can also be used if the disk spins but is not recognized by the computer hardware at the BIOS level.
    3) There are a bunch of 'universal' disk interface to USB adapters on the market, and I use them a lot, but some problems will cause this arrangement to fail, or worse, behave badly. If you don't get good results with one of those try plugging directly into the appropriate buss.
    4) The drop trick - this one can cause damage, so use it sparingly. If the drive won't spin, and the freeze and swap tricks did not work you can sometimes break it lose by dropping it about three feet. The downside is that if there is damage to the disc surface this will almost certainly make it worse. I don't recommend this except as a last resort. I have done it twice, and in both cases it did let me retrieve the data, but not without adding some gray hairs to my head!
    5) This will sound counter-intuitive, and I've never had to resort to it, but a number of data recovery experts that I respect tell me that if you can format the drive you can almost always recover the data afterward. Sounds unnecessarily risky, but as a last resort it might be worth trying.

Last thought, and this is critical!!! Do not do ANYTHING until you are prepared to actually retrieve the data. Make sure the recovery software is installed, licensed, whatever. Make sure you have sufficient drive space to recover the files - and be aware that most recovery software will recover considerably more than the drive's rated capacity because it is recovering some file fragments more than once. That's good, since it increases the chances that you'll get a readable copy, but it can chew up space quickly.

Short of physical damage to the magnetic surface of the disc there is very little that can happen that makes a drive unreadable, given the right tools and some patience.
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

If you're on Windows, try the GetDataBack utility http://www.runtime.org/ .
    I was able to recover a disk that was totally unbootable and it was much cheaper than a recovery service.

When I connect the disk (500 GB SATA) to any system I can't even get Windows to recognize it as chkdsk keeps trying to recover the disk which takes forever (and ever, and ever). I'm going to have to just write it again from scratch or hope that Rachel's idea works.

Go Back to forum