• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My first co-created Piano-Library: Kalamkarian Bechstein

Share/Bookmark

My first co-created Piano-Library: Kalamkarian Bechstein

Hey guys,

haven't been around quite a while. Busy planet. Hope you are well.

As I have been stupid and curious enough to encounter one of the last real adventures on earth - to sample a grand piano - together with Stefan Kortner from Pianowave.de, I would like to invite you all to check out our free demo for Kontakt 2/3, which is fully functional except that everything has been POW-r-dithered down to 16 Bit and all notes except all C's and the middle octave die out after 1 second (.zip, 313 MB):

http://s3.amazonaws.com/Pianowave/Pi...hsteinDemo.zip

It's a multi-sample of my 1892 Bechstein Grand Piano (2,20 m concert grand, belonged to and played by Armenian Talent Maria Kalamkarian until her death) which has this very special, colorful sound. Rich, when you play it softly, punchy but still transparent, when you dig into it. We created 6 velocity layers with Stefan's selfmade, noiseless "hit-the-key-with-precise-value-machine", but decided to drop the softest and kept 5 dynamic layers plus sustains, dynamic releases, hammer and pedal noises. To me Stefan's scripting logic is one of the most efficient and sophisticated (sustain pedal "re-catches" recent chords etc.). The pedal noise is using alternating samples to overcome static sounding pedalling with usual controllers. And, and, and...

As we are still tweaking the final version, I would appreciate your expert feedback very much.

All my best

Roman

Re: My first co-created Piano-Library: Kalamkarian Bechstein

Hi Roman,
    Long time no see - best wishes with the new library! Do you have an mp3 demo I could hear?

Hi Jeff,
    yes there are mp3 demos. Just look at www.pianowave.de, choose the Bechstein and there are four demo songs.
    Since I recorded them, Roman and I have changed the EQ a little bit. I will upload the demo songs with the new EQ as soon as possible.
    It is incredible how you can change the character of a grandpiano by slight changes in the EQ (which is easy in the Kontakt Instrument)
    I am new in this forum, and I am curious for your comments!
    Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post
    Hi Roman,
    Long time no see - best wishes with the new library! Do you have an mp3 demo I could hear?

Roman & Stefan,
    I downloaded the demo - very nice indeed. Such a warm sonorous sound. Great fidelity too. I'd like some softer layers though, if the piano is capable of it.

EDIT: I had forgotten that you had dropped the softest layer - I think I want it. ;^)

Greg.

Hi Jeff, Hi Greg,

great to see you guys are still around . I mean, yeah, Jeff I saw you are still/again involved in Gary's projects and all, so it's no real wonder, but... to be here again somehow feels like entering a time loop. Back to the future.

The problem with the softest layer was that due to the pretty worn out mechanics of this old lady, the timbre was quite inconsistent. But Stefan, with all experiences we made recently, we maybe should give it another whirl and re-animate the VelA-layer?

And I think we urgently need more advanced demos; the sample has much more to give than the current demos are showing. So...

Anyone here to share some great MIDI performances for a free full version?

All my best

Roman

Hi together,
    thanks for your comments, I have already started to re-animate the softest layer.
    Though we recorded the keys with an electromagnet that presses each key with a precisely determined velocity, the softest layer was very close to the mechanical limit of the grandpiano. Therefore the notes of the softest layer had slightly uneven volumes.
    But meanwhile I have programmed a little Kontakt script that alternates the velocity of played notes for example between vel38 (loudest velocity of the softest layer) and vel39 (softest velocity of the next layer). By playing the same key a couple of times I can check if the two samples have exactly the same volume and the same timbre.
    Then, changing the volume of one sample until it matches the volume of the other sample is quite easy.
    Stefan

This Bechstein really does have a lot of character - I really love it!

Any old people here? Remember the album "Drops", featuring "Mr Pepper's Jet Piano"? This is THAT sound! (just add the funky tremelo) I listened to this when I was a really young kid, and it's still one of the best piano sounds I've ever heard.
    I nabbed the album off my parents too - still got it. ;^)

Greg.

This isn't important, but I don't think this Bechstein is *exactly* the same sound as "Drops", but I do think it could do a very good rendition of that sound. In the middle registers it has a similar twangy "punch", without a lot of sustain, which is what I also hear in "Drops". Some upright pianos probably sound very similar.

Greg.

I would be glad to share some of my midi performances for a full version. They are very much slow, love song types or good old favorites which should definitely test your pianos softness. Also I can whip up a little honky tonk/rag type piece to test some of the dynamics in an interesting way.

I know lots of ragtime pianists who perform on Grand Pianos now a days.

You still interested?

Hi everyone,

I have just returned from my summer holiday, so please excuse the delay.

@maestro2be: Thank you very much for your offer! Be so nice to mail me one or two examples of your performances (info AT uvasonar DOTCOM), so that I could judge their quality and we will be glad to get you a freebie in case we like what you have. Does that work for you?

All my best

Roman

Go Back to forum