• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dual Monitors[Screens]

Share/Bookmark

Dual Monitors[Screens]

Hi folks,

I have a Videocard with two connectors: NVIDIA GeFroce 7300GT.
    I only have one monitor. I feel the need for a second one.

There is always a solution for everything, but will it possible to have the score on monitor two and SONAR on monitor one. And will I be able to re-direct my mouse movements so that I can work on both at the same time, switching from one to the other?

Anybody can give me some advice?

Raymond

Re: Dual Monitors[Screens]

Hi R62
    There have been a couple of threads about this in the past which contain useful debate and info:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=54428

and a bit here:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=57906

I had two monitors going for a while, but it drove me crazy as Cubase VST didn't really properly support it and it was a perpetual battle to not accidentally minimise/maximise a window and find it plonked back onto one monitor. Now I am just running a single large monitor running at 1680 x 1050 and I don't often feel constrained by space.

In general when you set up two monitors (side by side is most common), you configure your graphics card accordingly and as you move your mouse (or a window or app) off the right edge of one monitor it appears on the left edge of the next. So yes you could have a score on one and Sonar on the other and alt-tabbing or moving mouse across will work.

I seem to recall one of the forum members having a three-monitor set up which can be seen on one of those "if you show me yours I'll show you mine" threads but I didn't keep the link to that one.

Raymond,

it is no problem at all here. You connect the monitor, then right-click on the desktop background and include the monitor into your working area there.

It is like you look onto one thing through two windows that are side by side, what goes out of the left window goes in in the right, and vice versa.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Low & Hannes, you both must have a special monitor for Forum messages. That was fast replying. OK, tomorrow I will look into it further (hardware wise). Thank you,

Now time to go to sleep, can't endure any more "note".

Raymond

Yes we both have a red-light that flashes on our wall when a Raymond62 post is put on the forum. To ensure all your posts are responded to, we unfortunately and as a consequence are never allowed to travel on the same aeroplane or helicopter though.

Hi Raymond,

I highly recommend the dual monitor set up. I have three monitors at work and four at home. It is really easy to set up and you can put whatever you want on each screen. You can also drag applications (like Sonar for example) across multiple screensm, which works really well.

Your mouse just moves from one monitor to another as you move it.

Let me know if you have any difficulty setting up the second monitor.

One thing I didn't like about Sonar was how it uses 2 monitors. Since everything is contained in the main sonar window you have to drag it all the way across. If you have the exact same monitors then no problem. If not then it gets annoying. You'll have empty space at the bottom on the "taller" one and you have to do weird things with windows.

I don't know if that's a Sonar thing of a PC thing. With Logic each window is independent. I normally keep my arrange window with the mixer attached in one and have a score or piano roll in the other. What's nice is you can link windows to whatever instrument you've selected. This allows me to to select tracks in the arrange window and then my piano roll or score window will automatically go to that region I've selected.

Either way I don't know how you can manage with only one monitor. I have 2 and that still isn't enough. I use Apple's multiple desktop feature (Spaces) where I have different configurations set to each desktop and a simple keystroke changes them. I'm sure there is an application you can download on PC that is similar.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller View Post
    One thing I didn't like about Sonar was how it uses 2 monitors. Since everything is contained in the main sonar window you have to drag it all the way across... With Logic each window is independent. I normally keep my arrange window with the mixer attached in one and have a score or piano roll in the other...Either way I don't know how you can manage with only one monitor...
    Hi, Keith - and everyone here on the Dual Monitor thread.

I don't have dual monitors, so could be talking out of my backside - But this quote from you, Keith, makes it sound like you don't un-dock the Sonar windows so they're all independent.

You said in Logic each window is independent--well that's true in Sonar also. In my work space I use the tabs, so in the lower right quadrant I have multiple view at the ready, depending on what tab I use, and they're all instantly re-sizable of course - But some folks prefer to have all windows (Piano, Staff, Console, Tracks, Lyrics, etc etc) un-tabbed so they can float and be wherever you want.

Isn't that what you're talking about? If they're undocked, then you could drag the one you want to the other monitor?

The last part of your quote--hehe--cracked me up. I don't feel deprived, and have my work flow working great for me here on one monitor. It depends on what we get used to I guess.

Randy

About Sonar - Things have probably changed since I last updated. I have an older version of Sonar on my PC, and that's what I started out with. In that version everything was inside of the main application window. You could have different windows inside that main window, but it still all had to be in that one window. It was a pain resizing the main window across my monitors because the weren't the same size. There is also that huge bar at top that extended all the way across. Then each little window had it's own bar at the top and sometimes the bottom. Needless to say, there wasn't much room to look at what I wanted to look at. In Logic there is no main window, even back then. That was one of the first things that drew me to it. I know this is common on all Mac programs across the board. And like I said, maybe it's changed since my old PC, but I haven't kept up with it.

About the multiple monitors - I had no problem with one, but then I started using two and my workflow increased dramatically. I agree that for composing in a score format there isn't much that two monitors will help with. But if you are editing multiple tracks (heavy percussion for instance) it's pretty much essential to see all of them while also keeping an eye on the mixer and monitoring plugins.

More monitors is like having more table space if you're putting together an engine. It's much harder to do it with a teeny desk where you have to open and close little drawers to get to stuff and take the engine off the table every time you want to grab something new. It would be much easier to have a big desk where you can access all parts at once - like your instructions and tools.

That's just my opinion.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Ah, I see, Keith - Thanks for the response.

Yes, that must be a pretty old version of Sonar. I highly recommend that you upgrade, because to have all possible views independent of each other has been a feature for quite a long time now, even in the Home Studio versions.

Take the plunge - I think Sonar completely rules now, and I say that after spending a good session of time with a friend who uses Logic. nice - but omg I wouldn't give up my current Sonar for that.

In short- Sonar can do exactly what you'd like with multiple monitors.

Randy

Go Back to forum