• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Logic 9

Share/Bookmark

Logic 9

Finally here, will have it in a couple of days. Will give some feed back as soon as all is loaded
    Mac OSX 6 / Logic 9 / Cubase 5 / Ableton / Omnisphere / Stylus Rmx / Trillion / Komplete / Groove Agent / Kontrol 49 / UC 33e / Euphonix MC Mix n Control

Re: Logic 9

Doesn't look too hot in terms of innovation, the lack of an equivalent to VST Expression in Cubase 5 makes me think of switching back to Cubase again...... I was really hoping Apple would come out with an equivalent - shame on them...

Tim expression maps are none to hot at the moment in Cubase 5, needs a rewrite IMO. There is a looping bug, so rep[eating loops dont play back correctly.
    You cant get more than one sample set identified to the same notation symbol - so if you have two sets of staccato samples and want to use one here and one there in the same track you cant, without compromising your score.
    Everything HAS to have a notation symbol even where one is not normally required even things like legato (you can hide them in Cubase Notation after, but its a needless fiddle.
    Then there are 'sound slots' which seem to have no other useful function other than appearing in the inspector where articulations could best appear instead.
    I have yet to hear a credible explanation of them. Some think its something to do with sharing a map file with a stranger, if he does not have the prescribed sample for a particular articulation he can then load the second fall back articulation, maybe the same library or not, then a third slot for a third option, then a fourth. Why?? who would want this??? it all seems so unecessary and nonsensical. All thats really needed is ONE articulation mapped to a midi channel, keyswitch etc - as defined by the map. You simply dont need all this substitution stuff. The manual is vague on this too.

I dont think the guy who designed the code and GUI understood scoring.

A Big dissappointment - good idea, poorly implemented.

All IMO

Zero
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Im waiting for Snow Leopard to come out..
    MacBook Pro 17-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB memory Mac OS X (10.6.2) Logic Pro 9, G-Tech Raid 2 1TB/Lacie HD, RME Fireface 400, Axiom 25, Voices Of Passion, Goliath, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Symphonic Chiors, Silk, R.A., Storm Drums 2, Stylus RMX, Peak Pro,Trilian, and Omnisphere.

www.plusishiphop.com
    www.myspace.com/plusishiphop
    www.twitter.com/plusishiphop
    www.youtube.com/plusishiphop

Thanks Zero for your feedback.

Guess I was looking for something like Sound Sets in Sibelius (which I have) that would work straight in Logic. The reason I don't like Sibelius is that it is tricky to use synth parts along side the orchestral stuff - ever tried to record modwheel changes in Sibelius?

Rewire is an option but just seems to complicate everything so I'd rather just do it all in one host. Oh well, roll on Logic 10. ;-)

Tim

Hi TIm,
    Overall the notation functions in Cubase are superior IMO to Sibelius + you get all the functiionality of a first rate Sequencer -so I know what you mean. Cubases display quantize concept is worth its weight in gold - using this its possible to have a really authentic performance with human timing AND a legible score, timing wise in the same track.
    Chris B the moderator over on Cubase Forum said he expected something really significant in the first C5 update for expression maps - we actually got pretty colours. So I think maybe (a guess) that something more might be on the way for the next update.
    It seems so silly to me that score integration is so poorly implemented in so may sequencers.

Zero
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroZero View Post
    Hi TIm,
    Overall the notation functions in Cubase are superior IMO to Sibelius + you get all the functiionality of a first rate Sequencer -so I know what you mean.
    Zero
    It all depends on what you call notation functions. Cubase notation looks cr*p compared with Sibelius, and the lack of KC for Display Quantise values means that it's extremely clunky and slow to use. Sibelius wipes the floor with the Cubase Score Editor in every respect. And did I mention Magnetic Layout? :>)

Obviously when it comes to sequencing there is no competition. that's why Sibelius is a notation program with limited sequencing ability and Cubase is a sequencer with limited notational ability. Different tools for different purposes.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    Different tools for different purposes.

D
    Still it'd be nice to have just the one tool.....A Logic/Sibelius mash up with a seemless integrated UI....

Joy

Cheers

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kiel View Post
    Still it'd be nice to have just the one tool.....A Logic/Sibelius mash up with a seemless integrated UI....

Joy

Cheers

Tim
    Well Logic is also shy of features that I need, and the performance is pretty awful with the Virtual Instruments that I use, and is OSX only, which is a huge disadvantage.

However, in a couple of years ProTools will probably be the way to go, as then I will get Sibelius and sequencer in one package. Obviously that would depend on the MIDI and virtual instrument handling of ProTools to improve a great deal from its current state.

D

This always is a contentious topic I admit I am a Cubase freak and have only used Sibelius for a few weeks or so. Dont even know what KC is I thought it was a kind of fried chicken

Go Back to forum