• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Off Topic - Web browser problem...

Share/Bookmark

Off Topic - Web browser problem...

Y'all,

My web browser is the Microsoft Internet Explorer version eight.

For a long time, I have been unable to use the "change font-color" feature when composing messages on this forum, or any other website for that matter, including my own music website. The font-color dropdown list shows no color choices whatsoever. All I can see is forty little boxes with no colors in them.

The IE "Tools/Settings" menu has a mind-boggling amount of choices. I have no idea what many of them mean. Somewhere in those settings I have probably made a wrong choice which is causing the font-color problem.

If you know the solution, I would appreciate hearing from you. I tried using the Mozilla Firefox browser and experienced the same font-color problem.

I really don't want to change to another web browser if it is possible to solve the problem without my having to do so.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: Off Topic - Web browser problem...

Easiest fix? Get a different browser!

I kid, I kid...

I'm not too sure about IE 8, shortly after it came out I switched to firefox. You might try checking this one setting in firefox, though, to see if it helps. Under Tools > Options, go to the "Content" Tab. Within the "Fonts and Colors" box, select the Advanced button. Then make sure the check box with the label "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selection above" is selected.

Again, not entirely sure it will fix it, but would be worth a shot, good luck!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Thanks for the quick response, Mister Michael. I will give it a shot.

If that solves the problem, do you know how to cause Firefox to "stream" music from the web instead of automatically downloading the file?

Thanks and regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    Easiest fix? Get a different browser!

I kid, I kid...

I'm not too sure about IE 8, shortly after it came out I switched to firefox. You might try checking this one setting in firefox, though, to see if it helps. Under Tools > Options, go to the "Content" Tab. Within the "Fonts and Colors" box, select the Advanced button. Then make sure the check box with the label "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selection above" is selected.

Again, not entirely sure it will fix it, but would be worth a shot, good luck!
    The setting that you suggest was already in play. I still have the problem, of course. Thanks anyway.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Suggestions, anyone?
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Well, I don't know about the font problem, but will think about it when I return from my safari. Got to get some groceries and things. But the download instead of streaming sounds more like a setting at the server, not your browser problem. If you have Firefox, does the problem also present itself when you use it?

Richard

Don't get excited, Larry - I don't have the solution to your font color problem. Sorry.

I'm writing about the issue in Firefox of always needing to download music instead of having it stream. I was surprised to see that when I switched to Firefox earlier this year - it seemed like a big step backwards.

But it's because of this "Downloader" utility which seemed to just come with Firefox when I first installed it. I suppose there must be a way of disengaging Downloader--?

I quickly got used to Downloader though. It's actually very helpful since whenever you're on a page that has something you could download, video, music - it's gears start turning up there in the tool bar. Click next to its icon and there are the options to go ahead and download the material or not.

Then there's my constant routine - listen to music, then in the Downloader pop up menu with everything in my Download folder, I need to click "open containing folder"--then right click to delete the music I just heard, then delete the title from the list. Later, empty the trash. Kind of a slightly time consuming routine to do all day, but I've gotten used to it.

I switched to Firefox some months ago when someone here alerted us to how fragile IE had become.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, I don't know about the font problem, but will think about it when I return from my safari. Got to get some groceries and things. But the download instead of streaming sounds more like a setting at the server, not your browser problem. If you have Firefox, does the problem also present itself when you use it?

Richard
    Yes, the font-color problem is evident with both the IE and Firefox browsers.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Don't get excited, Larry - I don't have the solution to your font color problem. Sorry.

I'm writing about the issue in Firefox of always needing to download music instead of having it stream. I was surprised to see that when I switched to Firefox earlier this year - it seemed like a big step backwards.

But it's because of this "Downloader" utility which seemed to just come with Firefox when I first installed it. I suppose there must be a way of disengaging Downloader--?

I quickly got used to Downloader though. It's actually very helpful since whenever you're on a page that has something you could download, video, music - it's gears start turning up there in the tool bar. Click next to its icon and there are the options to go ahead and download the material or not.

Then there's my constant routine - listen to music, then in the Downloader pop up menu with everything in my Download folder, I need to click "open containing folder"--then right click to delete the music I just heard, then delete the title from the list. Later, empty the trash. Kind of a slightly time consuming routine to do all day, but I've gotten used to it.

I switched to Firefox some months ago when someone here alerted us to how fragile IE had become.

Randy
    With the IE browser all I have to do is click on the music file and it automatically "streams" and plays in the player of my choice which is, in this case, the Windows Media Player. Nothing is actually downloaded.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    With the IE browser all I have to do is click on the music file and it automatically "streams" and plays in the player of my choice which is, in this case, the Windows Media Player. Nothing is actually downloaded.
    Right - I know. What my post was explaining was that when I switched to Firefox, I was surprised that I couldn't still just click and play music - There's the "Downloader" app in Firefox, and I like some aspects of it. But maybe there's a way to disable it if the download process doesn't appeal. - Because I don't want to return to IE - that's why I've been putting up with this slight hassle of always having to download.

Randy

Go Back to forum