• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - Apple's Logic Pro 9 Now for Sale!

Share/Bookmark

OT - Apple's Logic Pro 9 Now for Sale!

Just a quick notice to let any interested party know that Apple now has its Logic Pro 9 available for sale. Also, for all those digital-video people, they also have Final Cut Pro 7 for sale, too.

Oh. . . . I own both previous versions of these two software products. The upgrade will cost me about $500.00, total.

I love both programs. . . use them both a lot. This is especially true since I've been video-taping the nursing educational in-services for the hospital where I work. But. . . $500.00 bucks is a lot of money. But one gets a LOT of bang for the buck for the cost of the upgrade.

What to do. . . what to do???

In the meanwhile. . . I think I'll continue working on both older software products. They work just fine. (But I want the "latest and the greatest"! LOL!)

Anyway. . . for those who are interested in either of these products, check out the Apple web site. Gosh. This was quite unexpected news. I guess that's the Apple way.

Cheers!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: OT - Apple's Logic Pro 9 Now for Sale!

I was salivating over Logic 9 until I noticed that it requires OSX 10.5 and a Mac with intel processor. That would set me back $2000 minimum instead of the $199 upgrade. Sigh. Another year or two perhaps.

Rob

It looks quite good Ted - I use Logic Pro 8. I won't bother with the upgrade until Snow Leopard appears - and only then I will be interested to learn whether it's actually a true 64 bit application or not.

Rob - In reading the Logic Pro Discussion Board on the Apple web site, it seems that people with the older Mac's are still able to run Logic Pro 9. My suggestion would be to visit the Apple discussion board and see just how successful running the Logic Pro 9 program may be on the older computers. Ultimately, though, it seems that the new Logic Pro 9 runs best on an Intel Mac with the latest operating system (10.5.7).

PaulR - In reading Logic Pro related bulletin boards, it seems that many uses are having success with the new Logic Pro 9. However (and this is a BIG however), there appears to be no mention that Logic Pro 9 will be a 64-bit application when Snow Leopard appears. The subject is one of those active "discussions" on the boards as one might guess. Heck. I didn't even know that Logic Pro 9 was this far along in its development. That fact that it was available for sale the other day was a complete surprise to me (and, I guess, to other people as well). Who knows??? maybe a 64-bit version of Logic Pro 9 will be another welcomed surprise?!?!?!? (Or will it be Logic Pro 10 by then??? LOL! ) At any rate, I'm a happy Logic Pro 8 user. I can't afford the upgrade, at present. I think waiting, like you are doing, is a great idea.

Cheers. . . .
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

An interesting post on 64 bit from Jay Asher, a Logic insider if there ever was one, on another forum:

Unless he has changed his mind, 2 years ago Dr. Lengeling told me 64 bit creates more problems than it solves and that there were other better ways to achieve the same benefits.

He goes into detail later on how Dr. Lengeling is looking to he believes are superior alternatives to just going 64 bit. I think that a complete re-write of Logic is (justifiably) something he does not want to do. So, we might not get a `true' 64 bit application, but we will get the important benefits (mainly memory addressing) of 64 bit. It will be interesting...

Although most of the upgrades for Logic 9 are not for me I think they have added some great features to the product. Early user reviews are saying the application is snappier (please, please let channel strip changes speed up!) and some bugs are resolved. Apple really needs to publish a fixed bug list and an improvements list.

One of the things I think both DP and Cubase have over Logic is basic workflow. There are so many simple things you can't do in Logic it can really slow you down. Hopefully some of these types of issues will also be resolved. For now though I'm going to hold onto my $200 and see how the upgrade shapes up. After all, I haven't upgraded DP to 6.x yet...

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    Rob - In reading the Logic Pro Discussion Board on the Apple web site, it seems that people with the older Mac's are still able to run Logic Pro 9. My suggestion would be to visit the Apple discussion board and see just how successful running the Logic Pro 9 program may be on the older computers. Ultimately, though, it seems that the new Logic Pro 9 runs best on an Intel Mac with the latest operating system (10.5.7).

Cheers. . . .
    Great. Now how do I convince my wife I NEED this?

Rob

I was tempted to upgrade to Logic 9 until I noticed that it was aimed almost exclusively at guitarists and people working mostly in audio (which is great for them!).

Nothing has been done on the MIDI side or to improve the clunky way that it deals with multi-timbral VSTi's. Nothing like Cubase 5's excellent VST expression for example.

Go Back to forum