• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Question about Bela D Media Vocal Tools - The Soprano

Share/Bookmark

Question about Bela D Media Vocal Tools - The Soprano

I wrote to them at the beginning of this week and haven't heard from them, maybe they are on vacation or something... so here's my question... I am interested in purchasing this so I downloaded the manual to see what this thing could do, but I'm a little confused... For those of you that actually own this, are you limited to creating phrases only by using the step mode? Also, can you just play vocalise type melodies ala Rachmaninoff's Vocalise, and the later use midi controllers to adjust the legato... I really want to create extremely legato fluid slow lines... Can this product do this? If anybody owns this and can comment, I would appreciate it, thanks...

Re: Question about Bela D Media Vocal Tools - The Soprano

Hi, weren't you asking about pitches and legato in your email? I answered an email about Soprano about those on Monday. If you were the one asking that question please check your spam folder because most likely my response ended up in there.

If you were not asking then unfortunately we didn't receive your mail - if we are not responding within a few days don't hesitate to resend your questions (and check your spamfolder)! Also, please note that as stated on our contact form, gmail and hotmail addresses are blocked by our mail server.

To answer your question: step mode is the way to create your phrases from the recorded elements. The name "Step mode" only refers to that you set the order of phrase elements, no rhythmic or pitch restrictions are present if that's what worries you. Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7l6DXfsVFM

You can see that attack, legato time and other parameters are easily adjustable in the step editor to your liking.
    Gábor Valasek
    Scripting Team
    Bela D Media.com
    http://www.beladmedia.com

Hi Gabor, apparently, yes it was in the spam directory, thanks for replying... the unfortunate thing about the youtube video is that it has no sound... I tried other youtube videos and the sound is fine...

Anyway, here's another question... Let's say I just want to play a melody line using the Ah sound on my keyboard via midi and record that midi performance in real time into the computer... Can that be done?? And then apply the script? Or is all input of notes only able to be done by step mode? Any info appreciated, thanks...

Be patient, it has audio but I only used my keyboard to play notes around 0:28.

As I already said: you can write whatever melody line in whatever tempo and rhythm you wish I played B, C, A in the video but I could have played anything within the singer's range. Essentially all you do in the script is to set up what syllables to sing in a sequence. The pitch, tempo and everything else will be determined by what you play on your midi keyboard.
    Gábor Valasek
    Scripting Team
    Bela D Media.com
    http://www.beladmedia.com

For the reason that ongoing Vocal Tools Classical Edition (Tenor and Soprano) is chromatically sampled and not phrases in the traditional sense, you have the ability to compose lyrical vocal lines in the key and tempo of your choosing as a multi array of vocal elements (vee chay nah tus, etc) is strung together with a powerful and real-time legato.

Listen to the Crossing demo from the Tenor. What the composer has done is the following …

Selected from a massive list of vocal elements –

Example: Ah nah she fee day tus s, etc

Perhaps he decided to cut some elements –

Example: dial away the T of ‘Tus’ and now you hear ‘uus’.

He placed the elements in the order he wished for them to be sung and then, with each midi press, each element sounds. That’s all there is to it. Each element is chromatically sampled and you tell the script what element and in what order and then you just play your melody.

Going deeper:

Say one element seems a touch to loud, every element assigned has its own control over volume, attack time and etc.

You can also tell any element to legato into another, etc.

Here’s the demo: I hope we have helped and for the cost, we feel safe in saying VT cannot be touched!

http://www.beladmedia.com/tenor/crossing.mp3

Best,
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Hi there, thanks for the replies again and the explanations... I understand the concept better now and definitely the cost is not really the issue, it's more can this do what I want it to... It's legato Ah sound that I'm mostly interested in at present, without gaps or bad attacks... Not unlike a real singer.. But I can definitely see the value of the vowel sounds, particularly for made up languages for pieces of music that sound like it's being sung in a foreign language... That nobody knows about... Some bands have made careers out of this...

Yes, this explanis the concept even better, I was expecting dialogue at the start... Well, you have the beginning of "Everything's Coming up Roses", so I can see the applications... There's a nice blend from Sa to Neh, with the "N" sound taken out... was there any manipulation of the legato there, or is that right out of the box??
    Also, you guys should do more stuff like this for all your products, I think that there would be a greater demand...

Quote Originally Posted by GaborValasek View Post
    Be patient, it has audio but I only used my keyboard to play notes around 0:28.

As I already said: you can write whatever melody line in whatever tempo and rhythm you wish I played B, C, A in the video but I could have played anything within the singer's range. Essentially all you do in the script is to set up what syllables to sing in a sequence. The pitch, tempo and everything else will be determined by what you play on your midi keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro View Post
    was there any manipulation of the legato there, or is that right out of the box??
    That was out of the box. All he did was load 3 elements and play. There is a global legato attached. You can alter per element if you wish to take away or add to.

PS. One thing to keep in mind. You will not find the long sustained/looped vowels in VT. DIVA has that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media View Post
    PS. One thing to keep in mind. You will not find the long sustained/looped vowels in VT. DIVA has that.
    Ok, so this is where maybe there might be some problem... My original interest is in doing some long sustained type of stuff... How long before the note cuts out? and just as a question, why not have long sustained vowels in this program?

VT is not about the long sustains. It uses sung phrases and you control the elements within said phrase. Yes, sampled chromatically. I did not sample the typical sustained vowel because VT was/is something new and different. VT is our best attempt at offering instant ‘human’ results with very little effort on the part of the composer.

Here is another out of the box example: I have loaded 4 elements and played them up and down the scale in real time. Right out of the box with no additional parameter tweaks.

Listen how 'Ee-Zay' it is...
    http://www.beladmedia.com/ee-zay.mp3

VT is not a mod wheel trick in the dark when it comes to element control. You have a window and a master elements list that shows you everything you are ‘singing’, etc.

We had already done the long, sustained vowels with DIVA and Giovani. Note: DIVA and Giovani have been update to mock VT style control.

I would have to check but, a sustained Ah or Oh, etc in VT via the template patch may run 4 -6 seconds.

If you really need long vowels and some ‘moving elements’, you may want to look at DIVA.

Go Back to forum