• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Video Capture Software with good sound recording

Share/Bookmark

Video Capture Software with good sound recording

Anyone know of free or cheap video capture software with good sound recording? I'm using Cam Studio which works good for video but the sound recording is terrible.

Thanks

Re: Video Capture Software with good sound recording

Hi Mike,
    Have you checked your Cam Studio Audio options? You can record all the way up to 16-bit 44.1. I just retested mine and it sounds as good as any other recording app to me - I recorded this one in 44.1/16 bit but then compressed afterwards rather than recording in compressed form in first place. The initial recording really is pristine, though the compressed version below is showing some mp3 artefacts (but not that terrible?)

http://www.l-music.co.uk/Movie.wmv

Quote Originally Posted by L0W View Post
    Hi Mike,
    Have you checked your Cam Studio Audio options? You can record all the way up to 16-bit 44.1. I just retested mine and it sounds as good as any other recording app to me - I recorded this one in 44.1/16 bit but then compressed afterwards rather than recording in compressed form in first place. The initial recording really is pristine, though the compressed version below is showing some mp3 artefacts (but not that terrible?)

http://www.l-music.co.uk/Movie.wmv
    Hi LOW, Thanks I'll try again with those settings - do you record from speakers or microphone?

Interesting - I've had the same problem with Camtasia. I appreciate the reply you gave Mike, LOW, but even with those CD quality settings, I still get unusable sound when trying to record screen and sound at the same time. I always need to produce the audio separately in Sonar, then import the audio into the project - and it Does export the whole cooked file in good quality - it's just the initial recording I can't get to sound good. - ? And of course that reduces the flexibility of what I can do with the video capture, since the sound track is being produced separately - !

Randy

The recording I demo'd above was done with a Shure SM58 mic connected to a MOTU828. I did that out of quick convenience, as I don't have any line other line level inputs or mics currently connected into my PC. I'd expect better results with a condenser mic, and probably less good results with a 'pc-style' mic connected to a 'mic in' socket, though I doubt the differences would be dramatic (I'll try later). Obviously I compressed the final output and playing with those settings on that might lead to better results (though I don't think the audio in my demo above is 'awful').

My screen quality wasn't as good as it could be though because I created an unusual shaped capture window and Window Movie Maker resized it to a standard format while doing the compression.

With the right settings and inputs, you will get very good quality recordings with Cam Studio.

Randy I just downloaded Camtasia demo and did a similar exercise - I don't think I'd describe the audio as 'awful/unuseable' either!

www.l-music.co.uk/Randy01.wmv

I think the key is using a good input chain (mic/soundcard) and the right settings in both these apps.

...and Mike, in Cam Studio, I set the 'audio options for microphone' up, and set the input as MOTU Mix1 and ticked 'record audio from microphone' option.

What soundcard/mic are you using?

I might be unecessarily muddying the waters, but I'm not really sure the purpose of the speaker/mic distinction in the software - I'd have thought that what is recorded would be best set with the soundcard applet - my instinct being to set Cam Studio to 'mic' and then use the soundcard applet to decide what is being fed to the record enabled channel. I guess maybe the 'speakers' option is to short cut to 'what you are hearing' setting.

Thanks for the replies, LOW - I was talking about two different situations actually, I wasn't specific earlier.

The bad sound quality I'm getting is when I do a video of a scrolling score in Sonar. The wave file is playing as I capture the staff view, but Camtasia is re-recording the audio and those results are rather naturally bad. So I import the wave file directly into Cam afterwards, line it up with the vid, and then I have audio on the vid which sound fine - same MP3 quality we're used to.

The more complicated vids have involved more than one wave file, and I've needed to lay all of those in after the fact, "wild track" style.

So I'm just saying that I'm sure Cam is able to record a live mike just fine, as in your demo, but wave files being played as in my Sonar example - they get re-recorded and grunged up. That makes sense.

Randy

Hi Randy, Fair enough!

Though....

www.l-music.co.uk/Randy02.wmv

In the above, the Sonar audio and my mic are routed via my MOTU (ie no cheating by micing up my speakers). Camtasia was set to record the MOTU Mix.

My guess is that your soundcard/PC/Mac is 'running out of steam' trying to do the recording and playing back and supporting Sonar, rather than an instrinsic problem with CamTasia (or Cam Studio). Increasing your ASIO audio device buffers might help if that's true.

Obviously under many circumstances the 'montage' approach of pasting in prepared WAVS, etc is the best approach and indeed the method of choice for complex presentations. All that I am arguing is though that Camtasia and Cam Studio are quite capable of recording good quality audio under a range of situations.

If you have any more 'Camtasia' challenges - I have 29 days left on the demo licence!

Quote Originally Posted by L0W View Post
    Hi Randy, Fair enough!

Though....

www.l-music.co.uk/Randy02.wmv

In the above, the Sonar audio and my mic are routed via my MOTU (ie no cheating by micing up my speakers). Camtasia was set to record the MOTU Mix.

My guess is that your soundcard/PC/Mac is 'running out of steam' trying to do the recording and playing back and supporting Sonar, rather than an instrinsic problem with CamTasia (or Cam Studio). Increasing your ASIO audio device buffers might help if that's true.

Obviously under many circumstances the 'montage' approach of pasting in prepared WAVS, etc is the best approach and indeed the method of choice for complex presentations. All that I am arguing is though that Camtasia and Cam Studio are quite capable of recording good quality audio under a range of situations.

If you have any more 'Camtasia' challenges - I have 29 days left on the demo licence!
    LOW, Randy
    Thanks for the responses, I think LOW's right the soundcard is the issue, I'm using the Conextant card that comes with my Lenova Thinkpad.

LOW, there seems to be a difference in Cam Studio between mic & speaker. With speaker it records Sibelous output with mic it was picking up my TV without a microphone - very strange.

Randy, regarding the other thread, I get good results with the laptops built in sound card - all my demos were made with this configuration. One thing you might try is bouncing silently in Sonar, this eliminates the soundcard's & CPU's shortcommings.

Hi, Mike and Low- Hmmm, I'm still confused. My desktop computer's built in soundcard is disabled so I can use my M-Audio 2496. But when I'm recording vid with Camtasia, it's re-recording the file. If I change my buffers in the M-Audio--how would that change the way Camtasia records the audio---? And I am saying that if I import audio, then the mix down of vid and audio sounds just fine, with Camtasia's settings set to the highest quality MP3 it can manage. - I don't get what I'm doing wrong.

The other thread, Mike - bouncing silently is the only way I record my music projects. And the files themselves come out fine, no problem on my laptop. It's just the amplification of Any sound on the laptop which has the interference - it's from audio out through USB, through my audio interface, into my amp--that's when the digital noise comes in. But recordings themselves are totally clean.

Randy

Go Back to forum