• Register
  • Help

Topic: My gvi is crashing... if I buy Kontakt

Share/Bookmark

My gvi is crashing... if I buy Kontakt

If I buy Kontakt how well will my GS3 PMI piano samples import? Anyone have experience with this? By the way my gvi keeps crashing on gigapulse loading... anyone have this experience on a phenom x4 amd chipset system?
    Gigapulse only causes crash.

Re: My gvi is crashing... if I buy Kontakt

You'd need a translator.
    You can buy the Kontakt version samples cheaper than you can buy a translator.
    http://www.sampletekk.com/products.php?cat=44&pg=2

not that it'll help much, but there are (I think) a lot of us in your boat!

I've whittled down the GS libraries I absolutely have to keep, and it's still daunting to consider that I will spend hours importing all of them, or rather, tweaking them once they are imported.

My experience, using the Kontakt 3 demo import feature and Translator:
    Garritan Orchestral Strings
    - this is going to require a great deal of effort, first pass was barely usable.

Presonus Orchestral Library
    - most instruments imported nicely, a couple had glitches.

Seyer Acoustic Bass
    - Translator did a very good job, I may not even tweak.

Scarbee Slapped and Fingered Basses
    - Some tweaking will be required, but it seems close

SampleTekk 7CG Jr, Steiny D, Harpsichord, Rain Piano, TSO, WG Jr, Tubed Wurli, TR Jr,
    - (can you tell I'm a fan?) - I had problems with several of these that only shipped as GS instruments. I'm going to see about some kind of cross-grade deal, as I really can't imagine not having them.

SampleTekk BOB - worked like a charm using the import feature.

Quantum Leap Brass - worked, not quite like a charm, but more like Scarbee, some tweaking will be necessary.

Imports from Ensoniq ASR and EPS, and Akai 900 libraries
    - I only tried a couple, but the results were all over the map, some worked quite well, some were unusable. Part of the disappointment, I suspect, is that Translator did an outstanding job translating them to GS.

I suspect that all long time GS users will eventually have to switch to something else, I'm trying to scrape together the cash to take advantage of the $399 deal on Komplete, but if that doesn't fly I'll just do the cross-grade.

What an annoyance! I'd rather be playing music...
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Converting GS libs in Kontakt should be fine most of the time, but using aspecialized application like Translator or CDextract would be much better.

The problem I see will be for some special features like DEF, PRF, and Gigapulse related stuff which probably will not translate since these are GS only features and not included in Kontakt.
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Cossgrades are free from SampleTekk.

http://www.sampletekk.com/crossgrades.php

I knew that used to be their policy - but when I went looking for it recently I did not find it, so I though perhaps they had changed their minds. Nice to know they still treat their customers so well!!

Bill
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

I've recently had the same experience.
    I upgraded my DAW earlier this year, and had some serious issues with GS3 crashing my computer to the point where it wouldn't boot up. This is without even booting the program. I hadn't even authorized it yet.
    The solution was to disconnect the HD where my Giga libraries were, and reboot, uninstall GS3, then I could continue. I had thought at the time about buying Kontakt, but waited.
    When the K5 bundle for $400 was announced, I jumped on it, even though I already had a few of the plugins.

I converted most of my libraries, and the acoustic guitar libraries translated well, but the pianos were a mixed bag. The one piano I wanted the most, the Malmsjo, was the worst, being completely unusable.

Last night I re-installed GS3, and have requested a license from Tascam.
    I'm going to try to still use GS3, as I feel it still sounds better that Kontakt, and just keep using Kontakt for it's own sounds.

If it doesn't work out, maybe I'll try and get the Malmsjo specifically for Kontakt. I've been trying to get in touch with Hans Adamson from ArtVista, but so far no luck. Is this guy a ghost?

Sorry for the long winded post, just needed to vent a little after spending all this money & time on software that creates more headaches & problems than music.
    What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

While there aren't millions of us, I suspect that folks trying to find a way clear for the GS mess are numerous! Each of us is going to have certain GS libraries that we'd like to keep.

For me the big ones are the Scarbee basses - he offers no crossgrades anymore - and the Garritan Orchestral Strings. Neither one is behaving well in Kontakt 2.4.

On the plus side the entire Prosonus Orchestral library imported without a hitch, and the Seyer Acoustic Bass required just a couple of tweaks.

I've also got a few freeware libraries that I started importing last night. Some work, some don't. For the ones I use a lot I suppose I have some work ahead of me...

Dang!

Good luck with your imports, and if you find the magic formula please share...

Bill
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

I used to use Dan Dean's basses, but then I got Trilogy, and now I'm looking forward to Trilian, so basses on Giga are not much of a concern.
    Pianos for me are important, and 2 guitar libraries (Nashville High Strung Guitars & Matt Ragan) are some that I want to be able to keep using.

I recently did the 3gig switch, and just read today the Giga works at the kernel level, same as the OS. I'm not sure how things will work out if GS has less ram to play with as a result of this, but I do notice a marked improvement with the extra memory for all my other plugins.
    What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

I accept with information: some special features like DEF, PRF, and Gigapulse related stuff which probably will not translate since these are GS only features and not included in Kontakt.

Go Back to forum