Share/Bookmark

Big Night

Greetings;

Here is Big Night

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Re: Big Night

Wow SD, so grand and romantic!
    A very well executed string intro and such sweeping piano; very impressive.

You got a Big Night coming up or what?
    A wonderful listen. Much enjoyed!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Sd, I said it earlier today on a thread, I'll say it again--Man I'm happy you've joined us here at the Garritan Forum. You bring us wonderful text posts as well as your own wonderful music.

I really enjoyed the minimalist opening to "Big Night" which didn't rush things, but created a nice undulating bed of sound - and then when more instruments joined in, they were always bringing something unexpected and exciting. The whole piece has such a unique, fresh feel to it. Much admired. THANK you!

Randy

That was great! Everything in the track was dead on.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

I agree with Randy here: The piece grows and with each part, I was anticipating more instrumentation as it built to its climax.

My only little niggle with it is those string glissandos. A little too Jean-Michel Jarre for me.

Nice flowing strings elsewhere and I enjoyed the piano entrance (and exit!)

Thanks for this, I enjoyed it very much.

Best wishes,
    Paul
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Wow SD, so grand and romantic!
    A very well executed string intro and such sweeping piano; very impressive.

You got a Big Night coming up or what?
    A wonderful listen. Much enjoyed!

M
    Hello Michael;
    I am so happy you enjoyed "Big Night" - I'd originally meant it to be a little string quartet-type thing and then was tempted to add some Section Strings, one thing led to another, but then tried playing along with it using the GPO - Steinway and voila! these projects take on a life of their own!
    In retrospect, if I'd accepted a larger initial vision of what I really wanted to do from the get-go, I might have done better with the design elements, like the setting for the piano within the orchestral context. However, I am still learning and this is really the first time I've brought the piano into the picture. Has there ever been a discussion about whether better to use the Full or Lite version, when in conjunction with the orchestra?

Thanks again for listening and for your comments!
    Take care,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Sd, I said it earlier today on a thread, I'll say it again--Man I'm happy you've joined us here at the Garritan Forum. You bring us wonderful text posts as well as your own wonderful music.

I really enjoyed the minimalist opening to "Big Night" which didn't rush things, but created a nice undulating bed of sound - and then when more instruments joined in, they were always bringing something unexpected and exciting. The whole piece has such a unique, fresh feel to it. Much admired. THANK you!

Randy
    Randy - thank you very much for that! If you haven't guessed already, I'm a VS, or, Virtual Sponge, for such laudatory remarks and really, never tire of them!!!
    Without belaboring the point, the same day I tried playing and recording the piano in Big Night, I had an unfortunate accident at home, tripped coming up from underground studio, or, the Music Room, as its called, and whilst so doing, thrust both hands out before me, as a reflex to break my fall. Downside was I was holding my empty coffee cup, so part of the deal was I had to drop the cup, it landed a split second sooner than my hands and shattered into many still spinning pieces, suffered a bone-deep cut 2" long, on the sensitive inside of the middle finger of my right hand, and I am right-handed. Hate to be too graphic, but it bled ALOT, until stopped with direct pressure. This was 8 pm on a Sunday night 3 weeks ago. I didn't immediately head for the ER, hoping against hope it wasn't as bad as I thought, and wouldn't need the dreaded sutures. I unwrapped it and took another look at 10 pm, bleeding resumed as before, so we re-bandaged and I went in. It took 5 stitches and I got home at 2:15 am.
    Good news, it is healing up and I have resumed playing, will likely take a few more months to really loosen up, though. The first time in my life I have required stitches for an accident!
    There's a story that surely would resonate with the cast of thousands around here!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    That was great! Everything in the track was dead on.
    Well Sir, thank you very kindly! See my reply to Randy's comments, for the exciting "back story" to the making of my Big Night!!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by Kinvint View Post
    I agree with Randy here: The piece grows and with each part, I was anticipating more instrumentation as it built to its climax.

My only little niggle with it is those string glissandos. A little too Jean-Michel Jarre for me.

Nice flowing strings elsewhere and I enjoyed the piano entrance (and exit!)

Thanks for this, I enjoyed it very much.

Best wishes,
    Paul
    Hello to you Paul;
    I am glad you found enjoyment in Big Night! Regarding the anticipated build-up of instruments as it built to it's climax, you might say there wasn't really a climax at the end, but instead, the climax came the instant the piano sounded the first chord, which had everything on it, every other instrument used anywhere in the arrangement all there and that particular piano chord was the loudest of the lot as well!
    On to the JMJ glissando's, I agree, I asked myself, "do you think anyone, let alone a group of anyone's, could ever play those notes that fast?"
    Nope! At least not until they fell under the command of my Baton! I would then make them pickup their pace considerable, surely with results as fast and shinny as those I have rendered here!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

This is a really beautiful piece. It's a wonderful mix of modern and romantic era music. When that piano came in I couldn't help but think of Rachmaninov (my favorite of all time).

Your composition skills are really incredible. I think this would be an incredible piece to hear live. It's hard to make VI's come alive, but you were able to achieve a great feel with this nonetheless.

I am impressed with how the piece continually built up. It just never stopped.

Also, I don't think that those string glissandi were that crazy. They just sounded like up and down scales. Listen to older John Williams stuff (E.T. for example or the First Harry Potter theme). If those pieces can be played then surely this can by most decent orchestras.

I like a lot of the music in the forum, but your skills are on a higher level than most people's in here. While the rendering didn't sound believable it didn't really matter. The composition spoke for itself - and that's the most impressive thing you can do.

I really look forward to hearing more from you. Great job.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast