• Register
  • Help

Topic: Protecting my ideas

Share/Bookmark

Protecting my ideas

Can anyone tell me what the best and/or most efficient way of protecting my demos as I send them to clients. I have recently started delving into game music and I am shooting demos over the net constantly. Of course, almost none of them are registered with copyrights or anything. Just wondering. I wouldnt want to be taken advantage of.

Eric

Re: Protecting my ideas

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the best and/or most efficient way of protecting my demos as I send them to clients. I have recently started delving into game music and I am shooting demos over the net constantly. Of course, almost none of them are registered with copyrights or anything. Just wondering. I wouldnt want to be taken advantage of.

Eric
    As far as copyright for music you have written, you are already covered. In terms of ideas in general, there is no way for you to copyright these. Expect to be taken advantage of. Until you can afford to stop this in court, it will happen, I'm afraid.

D

An easy way is to burn a disc with audio data on it and send it to you via mail. If you client uses your music, you can use the letter to proove the fact !

BUT you have to add a post seal of course ! and never open it..
    Mathieu Laprise
    www.studiosonomax.com

I figure the ones who are more likely to use your music without permission are individuals, the little companies, and with them you probably wouldn't of made much money, so likely aren't loosing much. The big companies, I doubt very much they would be stupid enough to steel someone's music, a bad move for them could could turn out costly during a major production, and it's with them you'd be making or loosing the big money. So I try to focus more on spreading my music rather than protecting it too much, as long as you are on the net, anything is possible. This philosophy helps me to not be too distracted by this worry.

First I just want to point out that you can't copyright an idea only the expression (Fichte's distinction).

Quote Originally Posted by SyQuEsT View Post
    An easy way is to burn a disc with audio data on it and send it to you via mail. If you client uses your music, you can use the letter to proove the fact !
    "Poor man's copyright" is a myth, there's no evidence that it has been successful to prove a claim.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html
    http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/co...opyright_myths
    Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, LinuxSampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland JX-10, 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux 64 bit

Eric you probably have really nothing to worry about... The amount of music that the people you are submitting works to are bombarded with on a daily basis, means that 99% of what they get probably doesn't get listened to... And if they hear something they like, they're going to want to work with you... To cover yourself, you should really copyright your stuff before you send it out, but truth of the matter is, either is going to respond positively, or it's going to get thrown out...

I sent out 4 pop songs that were registered with the library of congress. I had to fill out a form for each song, include a lyric sheet and a CD with the song on it. I found out later you can copyright a "collection" of songs for less cash. Here's a link that may help you get started...

http://www.copyright.gov/register/sound.html

Seems like we are heading into an age where nobody feels they have to pay for music anymore. I saw an ad for an IPod that could hold 30,000 songs. I was trying to imagine the person that filled their's up at $.99 cents a song from Itunes. That would cost them $30,000.00 plus the cost of the IPod. I doubt there's a single soul on the planet that has a legitimately full IPod... (but I hope I'm wrong)

Good luck with your music!

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Quote Originally Posted by dahnielson View Post
    First I just want to point out that you can't copyright an idea only the expression (Fichte's distinction).

"Poor man's copyright" is a myth, there's no evidence that it has been successful to prove a claim.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html
    http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/co...opyright_myths
    No, not very powerful proof, but I have well sealed envelopes that date from over 12 years ago, so it's always better than nothing at all, and combined with other evidences such as your style, drafts etc...

Thanks everyone for all your help. I guess I'm not terribly worried about it but it did cross my mind. I appreciate your responses!

Eric

Go Back to forum