• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: RHAPSODY IN BLUE with GPO4 by George Gershwin

RHAPSODY IN BLUE with GPO4 by George Gershwin

Hi folks,
    Here is Rhapsody In Blue by George Gershwin. Directed, and sequenced by me and DP. 21mb

A special thanks to Jack Cannon (RHAP2) for his help with Hurdy Gurdy

and to...

Gary Garritan
    Everyone at Ploque,
    Tom Hopkins,
    Jeff Hurchalla
    and all the beta testers

Everything was recorded using GPO4 except the following instruments...
    from JABB, one Clarinet, three saxes, and a few trumpets,
    one Stradivari solo violin,
    Garritan Steinway Grand Piano

short movie of instruments list...

Re: RHAPSODY IN BLUE with GPO4 by George Gershwin

Absolutely colossal, Dan.

I remember quite awhile back when you first started working on this project and the many
    obstacles you encountered: a bad MIDI file, a piano part that had numerous errors,
    and a host of other little things that would make an ordinary audio engineer quit before
    he began. But, you didn't......

Along the way, GPO 4 was coming up for beta testing and you thought it a good idea to
    test the upgraded program by demoing the fine sounds within plus the newly added
    SAM brass. WOW, did you ever use that brass. That section makes the piece
    come alive. The portamento slides you created are masterful and really make this
    piece "talk."This is George Gershwin at his best with all of the syncopations and
    portamento effects and your creativity in crafting each one of them has been, indeed,
    an awesome listening experience. You truly are an amazing musician and technician,
    Dan. Everything is so "real:" the opening clarinet, the brass, the solo violin part......
    all from GPO and JABB libraries. We don't hear much really good music lately that
    is ALL Garritan, so this project is a real treat.

Lastly, overcoming problems with different beta versions of the upgrade and still
    producing an outstanding demo is probably what impressed me the most. You
    proved that you can attain perfection with "one hand tied behind you."

Absolutely colossal, Dan. Did I say that? Let me iterate it again......awesome
    attention to detail with a sample library that is proving itself over and over again
    as one to have and use repeatedly.......

BRAVOs to you Dan: Your talent, your work ethic, your expertise and innovative
    use of employing sample technology and, above all, your loyalty to the Garritan
    Orchestral libraries. It gives me great pride to listen to this project knowing what I
    know of its journey from obscurity to fruition: one of the best GPO demos I have
    ever heard.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Wine Country, Colorado

BRAVO Dan! Let me second everything Jack said and add that this a monumental achievement. This is truly a convincing and flawless demo.

Great work!

Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

So This is where you've been, Dan. Glad you could come up for air and finally present your GPO4 production of one of my favorite pieces of all time. Sounds fine, and refreshingly close up instead of drenched in reverb the way some folks may have been tempted to do it.

We're off an running with GPO4/Aria!

Southern Ontario, Canada

Dan - this a most wonderful performance of a familiar piece, familiar enough that your rendition rings true and accurate in all things, when compared to the best recordings of this Gershwin masterpiece, that I can recollect. To complete this project, you would have needed to stay strong and well focused throughout, a superhuman display of patience and meticulous care! Congratulations to you and to Garritan on this most exciting and convincing demo!!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Wow! Dan, I'm blown away by this. GREAT job. Really a great realization. So much detail and so MUSICAL! Congrats and thank you for sharing your time and talent with us.

WOW Jack,
    You really are very generous with your compliments.
    I humbly bow and thank you. I just wish George could
    be here to see and hear the technology that his old piano rolls
    could have only dreamed of.

Bill, thank you for downloading and listening to this loooong piece.
    Thank you very much!

Randy, I thank you for listening and posting on behalf of Gershwin's Rhapsody.

SD, stay strong and focused... that is a good observation. I attempting to create this piece of music with just samples is a daunting task. When I decided to try it,, I remember thinking how fun it would be just to get the jazzy clarinet
    to sing the first line with any kind of real feeling. After I tweaked the notes, I thought to myself, "hmmm, that wasn't so bad, it's all downhill from here." BOY! I could not have been more wrong. Each new section posed new mountains to climb, but eventually I got to the end. After I realized that I had reached the end, my work was not finished. It never really is. Even though this is just a computer, and some samples of real people playing real instruments, it was a very satisfying thing to complete. I will always hear little things that I should have changed, but I think every musician feels that way after hearing themselves play on a recording. It's a lot easier to be done than satisfied. anyway, thank you very much for posting such nice thoughts.

WOW and WOW!

Dan, I loved this piece always and you did it soooo great!

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I'm basically just going to repeat everything everyone else said.

I've always been a big fan of Rhapsody in Blue, and this totally does it justice and beyond.
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Go Back to forum