• Register
  • Help

Topic: One Person's Reaction

Share/Bookmark

One Person's Reaction

was it worth 28 weeks (or whatever it turned out to be) waiting?

I can't answer that one, but I can report that the library sounds as good as it did previously, no damage was done! And the addition of the SAM Brass samples is great! The choir thing still doesn't seem useful, but then I didn't really expect it to be a replacement for a real choir library.

The new UI is so easy to use that the manual seems superfluous.

The engine uses a lot less system resources than K2 Player, and less than the K3 player.

The registration thing is a minor annoyance, and after all that beta testing I really do feel sympathy for Gary, the developers, and the testers... man nothing stinks more than something that seemingly obvious slipping through.
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Re: One Person's Reaction

Thanks for the report Bill. We figured out what happened with the registration issue and we'll have it fixed in no time.

Best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by wst3ae View Post
    was it worth 28 weeks (or whatever it turned out to be) waiting?

I can't answer that one, but I can report that the library sounds as good as it did previously, no damage was done! And the addition of the SAM Brass samples is great! The choir thing still doesn't seem useful, but then I didn't really expect it to be a replacement for a real choir library.

The new UI is so easy to use that the manual seems superfluous.

The engine uses a lot less system resources than K2 Player, and less than the K3 player.

The registration thing is a minor annoyance, and after all that beta testing I really do feel sympathy for Gary, the developers, and the testers... man nothing stinks more than something that seemingly obvious slipping through.

Well, Gary, I see you are still on line. Any way to get it other than download, which would take me at least 48 hours?

Richard

spent a "few more minutes" with it last night after posting.

In another thread someone used the word "transparent" to describe the new UI - I think that might be the best word!

I love the pedals on the right hand side, and the keyswitch block next to the keyboard. And all the slots up top so you can see exactly what you have loaded. At first I thought the separate page for effects might be a bit annoying, but it flows.

Transparent and easy... just so well thought out.

What I was expecting was an incremental improvement over K2 player, with maybe some minor improvements in the sounds (a couple more articulations maybe?). What I received was a completely re-thought user interface, a much more efficient engine, and roughly the same sounds.

And I know some might consider that a bit harsh, but think about it... by changing engines the Garritan team took a risk (small maybe, but real) that they could have degraded the sounds. They didn't. Playback of existing projects sounds pretty much the same as the original project file.

NB: converting projects from K2 player to Aria player takes seconds, literally. It's fast and easy!

The addition of the SAM brass is welcome. I happen to think that the GPO brass sit well in a mix, but one can never have too many options. The SAM instruments seem a little more expressive, especially the F Horn.

My only criticism, and it's nit-picking, is that the choir is pretty much useless, at least for me. The choir samples included with Finale 2010 are ever so slightly more useful. But not much. I still need a full blown choir library!

Hey, if GPO4 was perfect what would these poor folks have to look forward to?

If you own, use, and enjoy GPO in any of it's previous incarnations I think you will love GPO4 - for the nominal upgrade fee I think it is a no-brainer. (I do, however, feel sorry for the servers and who ever has to administer them, they are going to get slammed!)

Bill
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

And Another Person's Reaction

And another person's reaction. . . .

The Aria player is really cool. Simple but powerful. I sincerely appreciate the time and effort that went into its development. As stated before in previous posts, GPO (and all of its versions) has given me many hours musical and compositional joy and fulfillment. I am sincerely grateful to have such a fundamental working tool available to me. It has proven to be very helpful as I explore and exercise my compositional skills.

My thanks to the entire Garritan crew for its development in all of its incarnations.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Yes thanks a lot to Gary and team for this very worthwhile and very reasonably priced upgrade. I'd second a lot of Bill's points too.
    After just an hour or two's use I like:
    • the clear colour coded keyboard layout with instrument range and keyswitches clearly displayed
    • the patches load up MUCH MUCH faster than the Kontakt Player
    • the display of the name of they keyswitch patch I am using to left of keyboard is really useful
    • with my original Sam Brass (Horns, Trumpets, Trombones, Solo Sessions) I was always irritated by 'phasing' when using cross-faded patches. With the SAM patches used here I assume the famous Garritan 'phase locking' has been used so no horrible phasing when using the mod wheel - GREAT!
    • I think (but my ears might be deceiving me), the Steiny Piano has more velocity sensitive filtering on it, it just sounds more mellow at lower velocities than in KP2
    • auto-legato button is a good one-stop shop for getting instruments to work in solo mode and also (if notes overlap) does what the sustain pedal used to do (cut off attack) - sustain pedal still works of course
    • three pedals for piano players - hurrah!
    • the instrument controls are all very clear now and CC codes clearly labelled.
    Things that you are not getting with the upgrade:
    • a complete re-write/re-recording/reprogramming of most of the original GPO library - most things sound the same as before
    • auto-legato does not do any clever note-to-note joins as you'd get in the Garritan Stradivari and other libraries (and off-the-shelf Kontakt scripts)
    • in general the script-based programming that went into eg Garritan Strad and has not been reproduced in ARIA yet. I'd really like to see this in version 2 more than anything else for all instruments.
    • the two choir patches (ooh and aahh) can be bettered by free-to-download ones elsewhere
    • only one of the three 'pedals' seems to work on the Piano (I might be doing something wrong though - will update if so) or the three pedals might be intended only for the full version Steinway and not the GPO version?
    • sustain pedal is still 'on/off' rather than a continuous controller.
    • there's no control over how many audio channels are used by the Aria Multi VST - its 64. Old Cubase VST users - beware the dreaded 'no more mixer channels'! Since there are only 16 instrument slots, I am puzzled at moment why 64 audio channels are needed anyway - 32 would seem the right maximum number....?
    • the controls can't be 'midi-learnt'
    • can't yet load Strad into ARia player....presumably another upgrade later.

I like IT! I Like IT!! I REALLY LIKE IT!!!...and yes I am shouting but with pure JOY!

Thank you Gary and team which includes all Gary listed in the manual and the countless others who aided in this project.

It works flawlessly in Sonar and Finale 2009. It makes the sound of my notation works sound almost good enough to not tinker with. (I said "almost", but I will try to milk as much out of this library and Sound Engine as I can learn. DPDan showed us a performance of "Rhapsody In Blue" that sets the first bar and I believe it to be a very high bar at that.

Now excuse me but I have to re-compose myself from all this shouting and go start composing more music!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum