Just got out of hospital this morning (major ear surgery (left side), so it's going to be a while before I can start working normally again. However, the right ear seems to be over compensating and any form of noise is painful; worse still is that all electrical impulses produced by computer, piano (especially with USB connection) and amplifier are producing a combined feedback which seems to be frying my brain (only literally).
Anyone got any ideas ony how to keep feedback to a minimum and what sound components on computer can I turn off without affecting GPO, sibelius and cubase?
Peter, what's your current setup with everything turned on?
Any florescent lights?
No florescent lights - lights not a problem. It's when Piano (CP33 Yamaha) is connected to computer via USB the amplifier is picking up computer noises. Have tried to make sure that no wires are crossing each other and each piece of equipment has its own power source and not sharing any sockets.
I have been some years in front line experimental physics and part of the difficulties to overcome then was dealing with disturbing electromagnetic alternating fields. This is what your in-ear electronics seem to pick up, so here are some thoughts that might help.
First: Your enemies are two of a kind, and they are quite different. First enemy (not so severe) are alternating electrical fields, second enemy (more difficult) are magnetical alternating fields. They come in pairs but still there are waves that are dominated by their electrical component and some where the magnetic part is stronger.
You want to minimise these fields where they are generated, and if not possible, shield them in the inside of the devices.
Electrical fields are easily shielded by aluminium foil or thin metal sheets. The main trick is to make this relatively tight. Try to wrap aluminium foil around components, preferably try to ground this shielding. You could for instance wrap your USB cable in aluminium foil for a test and check whether this helps. Be sure to cover as most as you can.
Maybe there is a radiation leakage in either your keyboard electronics or your computer. In the case of the computer a better housing would help (there are brands that shield HF radiation), in the case of the keyboard you will probably have to open it and shield the electronics (have it rather done if you are no expert). There is also a HF shielding spray on the market, basically a conducting laquer that can be appied to the inside of plastic housings. Of course when handling conducting material near electronics you have to take care and use additional insulation.
You can even use your ear as an indicator where the radiation comes from mostly.
Now to magnetic fields. It is very hard to shield them, prefereably you try to avoid them. First principle is to have your electrical devices powered in a "star" configuration, with other words like a tree coming from a central point, and without connection between the branches. Then try to switch the direction of your electrical devices' plugs systematically for aligning the phase of the devices and try if that helps.
For shielding magnetical waves there is a special material called mumetal -> www.mumetal.com . This is expensive and difficult to process. But possibilities are there, and if it turns out that magnetic fields are disturbing you and everything else fails it could be an option to wear some magnetic shielding (I guess having a magnetic shielding implanted is not the first option but maybe would also be possible). However I am sure before you go this way you will have had a specialist examine your workplace and shield what can be done there.