• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Personal Orchestra 4

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Personal Orchestra 4

The advent of GPO4 surprised and perplexed me. Where are 2 and 3? Assuming that I am using what would be considered GPO1 along with GJ&BB, I wonder how I missed those updates.

Whatever the case, as can be seen in the provided screen-shot, I use Garritan libraries in conjunction with Overture SE 3.6.1 which, of course, came bundled with GPO for a time.

This leads me to the crux of this post—

Will I be able to upgrade to future and more advanced Garritan products like GPO4, or will my use of Overture SE prohibit any such upgrades? For at this point I see no likelihood of acquiring another notation program to replace this one.

I greatly appreciate any help on this matter.

Re: Garritan Personal Orchestra 4

I don't know about GPO 2 & 3, but if you can use any other sound player (i.e. sfz or any other VST's, you should be able to use GPO4. Since Overture SE is not exactly the same as the full version of Overture, I'm not sure if it'll be able to handle all the new controller features in GPO4. Give it a try.
    "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." -Steven Wright, comedian

GPO 2 was when GPO was upgraded to Kontakt 2 and GPO 3 was just a repackaged version with updates.

GPO4 is an upgrade to the new ARIA player for users of GPO 1, 2 or 3.

Jim

I believe the numbering to come from the Kontakt Players that came before this. We start in KP1, upgraded to KP2 and some upgraded to KP3 sample engines to run the Garritan Library. Consequently, We have arrived at GPO4 which uses the fourth and completely Garritan Sound engine in ARIA.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thank you for clearing up some of my confusion.

However, there remains my most important question pertaining to Overture SE. Will it function with these updates?

Thanks

Hi Sean,

If I remember right, Overture SE connects into GPO by running over the GPO Studio MIDI ports (or MIDI Yoke ports), correct?

If so, the solution to have it working with GPO Aria is to load Aria in its standalone form, go to Tools>Preferences, and select one of the GPO Studio/MIDI Yoke ports as an input. In the track view in Overture, route your instruments via this port, specifying the proper channel of the loaded instrument in Aria. This procedure can be repeated with different MIDI ports, using multiple copies of the standalone so that you are not limited to 16 channels! Just remember to save your loaded instrument configurations in a logical fashion (player1.aria, player2.aria, etc) for faster loading (you will have to adjust the midi in port on each instance each time you boot).

You should be good to go with that. Let me know if you have trouble.

Best,
    Reegs

I'm confused...
    Does the GPO 4 play thru Kontact or Aria?
    Does Aria play thru Kontact?
    thanks,

Gary

GPO 4 comes with the new ARIA player. Kontakt is not used.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Damon View Post
    The advent of GPO4 surprised and perplexed me. Where are 2 and 3?
    I've been wondering the same thing about Windows 7...

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing about Windows 7...
    4 = win 95/98/me
    5 = win 2000/XP
    6 = win Vista

I think?.....
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum