• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Update on best Pianos?

Share/Bookmark

Update on best Pianos?

Hello I haven't been here for awhile..can someone update me on the latest pianos out there?? I'm still using Ivory which I love but would like to know what is out now..thanks

Re: Update on best Pianos?

more or less: Much ado about nothing.

Some are just cheap,
    some are still affordable, but sound to me not really groundbreaking new,
    some are at least just audible better than its own predecessor.

....IMHO
    With loving Ivory you are still on the right track.

best
    Steffen

There are 3 different Ivory products in all: Ivory Grand Pianos, Ivory Italian Grand, and the Ivory Upright Pianos.

All of these are great to use and all use the same great interface to make everything easy to load the appropriate piano you want. Be sure to check out all of these products by listening to the demo's on www.synthogy.com.
    Austin Haynes
    Sales and Technical Support
    ILIO

Garritan steinway, without any doubt : real sympathetic resonance, real Steinway sound

My vote is for PianoTeq.

I have Pianoteq and I'd vote for it as being the most significant development, however I still think good quality sampled pianos *sound* better in general. Getting off topic, though, Pianoteq's electric pianos (Rhodes, Wurlitzer, and CP80) are *excellent*, and I simply don't feel like searching around for anything better, even though it's not reproducing every little acoustic nuance yet. (the nuances that it's not reproducing aren't as important to me as the nuances from acoustic pianos that it's not reproducing) I also own Lounge Lizard, which ONLY does electric pianos, and I haven't played it at all since Pianoteq's electric pianos were released. (Lounge Lizard does model to crazy extremes, though, which I'm glad to have if/when I want it!)

Greg.

Another vote for Pianoteq. The basic program is great and the add-ons (both free and paid) make it even better. I think that it is tough to find something that will give the same balance of hard disk use, RAM use, CPU use, loading time, selling price, flexibility and playability. If your budget is not stretching far enough for Pianoteq and all of the extras, then TruePianos can be an interesting compromise between quality and price.
    Best regards,

Little Red King
    http://luridcactus.com/MusicPage.html

I don't like the sound of Pianoteq. And the sympatic resonance is wrong with repedalling. The Garritan Steinway 1.03 work great with sympathetic resonance and repedalling, and it's a sampled piano... (with enhanced programming for effects (sustain, sympathetic resonance, velocity parts and others...)

other features of Pianoteq like the global resonance et quadratic effect are great, and it's a very good product.

Pianoteq is great if you use it with a sampled piano. Just use the effects of Pianoteq with a sampled piano to have real sound. ( in a vst host)
    You can reach a incredible result.

When Pianoteq will be improved with good steinway presets and sympathetic resonance fixed in the right way, i will try it again and perhaps i will like it and it will be the best.

Garritan Steinway is my choice.

here my list of good piano (Price/quality) :

1 ) Garritan Steinway pro
    2 ) Garritan Steinway Basic ( but missing release samples in basic, i use it with my own
    releases samples in a vst host)
    3 ) Pianoteq
    4 ) EW QLP pianos, but some features are missing
    5 ) Galaxy Pianos
    6 ) NI AKP

7) new VSL Bosendorfer : great instrument, great features, but it's a Bosendorfer sound (sound in demo)

Others are waste of time : Ivory, the Grand 3...

The Garritan Steinway is lovely. I would also thow in voetes for Sampletekk's Seven Seas Grand and ArtVista's Virtual Grand 2 and Maljmso pianos.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Olivier, can you elaborate a little on exactly what you're doing with the combination? What/how do you turn off all but the effects on Pianoteq? What exactly do you mean by effects?

I had a similar thought... Some wonderful components from Pianoteq, but the midrange sound is still synthetic. So I thought simply layering with a sample would give me the expressive and resonant advantages of Pianoteq with the higher realism of samples.

I tried layering with the TruePianos demo, and with my AKP Steinway.

Unfortunately, concept is often better than reality, and a simple layering like this just made mud, and accentuated every slight tuning difference between the two (there are a number of out-of-tune notes in AKP for instance).

But if you've found a way to extract just the most useful bits from Pianoteq, I'd love to hear about it.

-glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    I don't like the sound of Pianoteq. And the sympatic resonance is wrong with repedalling. The Garritan Steinway 1.03 work great with sympathetic resonance and repedalling, and it's a sampled piano... (with enhanced programming for effects (sustain, sympathetic resonance, velocity parts and others...)

other features of Pianoteq like the global resonance et quadratic effect are great, and it's a very good product.

Pianoteq is great if you use it with a sampled piano. Just use the effects of Pianoteq with a sampled piano to have real sound. ( in a vst host)
    You can reach a incredible result.

When Pianoteq will be improved with good steinway presets and sympathetic resonance fixed in the right way, i will try it again and perhaps i will like it and it will be the best.

Garritan Steinway is my choice.

here my list of good piano (Price/quality) :

1 ) Garritan Steinway pro
    2 ) Garritan Steinway Basic ( but missing release samples in basic, i use it with my own
    releases samples in a vst host)
    3 ) Pianoteq
    4 ) EW QLP pianos, but some features are missing
    5 ) Galaxy Pianos
    6 ) NI AKP

7) new VSL Bosendorfer : great instrument, great features, but it's a Bosendorfer sound (sound in demo)

Others are waste of time : Ivory, the Grand 3...

Go Back to forum