• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO4 Aria Player and Linux

Share/Bookmark

GPO4 Aria Player and Linux

Hi from France!

I'd like to know if GPO4 includes a native linux version of the Aria Player, especially for 64 bits systems.

Thanks a lot in advance for your answer, I'd be very enthusiastic if it is "Yes", too bad if it is "No".

Francis, second try.

Re: GPO4 Aria Player and Linux

There's currently no native Linux version. It does work well with WINE though.

Some have tried ARIA on WINE and it seems to work well. If you try it, do so at your own risk as Linux is not officially supported. But it is sweet seeing ARIA work on a Linux machine

Gary

Thank you so much for your answers, Tony and Gary. I asked for a Linux version, because in the thread "The Aria engine thread", Gary, on 06/10/2008, you wrote:

« A linux version is in the works. I won't say it is 'imminent' (last time the imminent was delayed for weeks) but it will not be years away. ».

I'm currently using GPO1 under Linux with Wine and Vsthost, a free VST-compatible host and, yes, it works! My notation program is Rosegarden. So, why not with GPO4? I'll give it a try as soon as I can.

Thanks again!

Francis

Quote Originally Posted by casals51 View Post
    Thank you so much for your answers, Tony and Gary. I asked for a Linux version, because in the thread "The Aria engine thread", Gary, on 06/10/2008, you wrote:

« A linux version is in the works. I won't say it is 'imminent' (last time the imminent was delayed for weeks) but it will not be years away. ».

I'm currently using GPO1 under Linux with Wine and Vsthost, a free VST-compatible host and, yes, it works! My notation program is Rosegarden. So, why not with GPO4? I'll give it a try as soon as I can.

Thanks again!

Francis
    For VST hosting are you using this;

http://breakfastquay.com/dssi-vst/

or this

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm under WINE?

Hi Tony,

I'm using GPO1 under Wine with the help of VSTHost, from this site:

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm

VSTHost is interesting because you can easily chain the KP1 output with some free compression or reverb plugins.

Francis

Quote Originally Posted by casals51 View Post
    Hi Tony,

I'm using GPO1 under Wine with the help of VSTHost, from this site:

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm

VSTHost is interesting because you can easily chain the KP1 output with some free compression or reverb plugins.

Francis
    I thought it might be that. An alternative you could try is to install wineasio and Reaper (Win), which works very well in WINE and will give you many more options while having very low latency. Installing wineasio could be an issue unless you're familiar with compiling from source or maybe find a package RPM or DEB.

You can find Reaper here

In fact, I had to use Wineasio, even with VSTHost, in association with a realtime linux kernel, so that in VSTHost, I can choose asio as the wave output port, since I have an asio capable soundcard, the Edirol UA-101. To use Wineasio, i had first to compile it with the Steinberg SDK, not included in the Wineasio source package. The compilation resulted mainly in 2 files: wineasio.dll.so (copy this file in the /usr/lib/wine directory), and jackbridge, required for routing the wineasio audio output to the soundcard audio input ports, using Jack. On 64 bits systems, compilation is no longer required, since you can now use Wineasio64 package, with wineasio.dll.so and jackbridge pre-compiled.

You have then to launch the whole stuff in this order:

1) the Jack audio server
    2) jackbridge (then in Jack, connect the audio ports as above)
    3) your sequencer or notation editor
    4) VSTHost, where you can choose your sequencer midi output ports as midi input ports for each KP1

I tried Reaper, too. It's fine, but strangely I've more latency with it when using my midi keyboard. I have to fix that. Reaper is nice, it even includes a convolution plugin. For convolution, you can also use the SIR plugin in VSTHost.

Well, I crashed my system recently (don't ask me how I managed to do that, I was so stupid!), so I have to recreate my musical environment. I plan to do that with the Mandriva 2009.1 One Spring. In case of success, if somebody is interested, and If any person before me does not publish a guide, I'll post a message to describe how I use GPO in this context.

Regards,

Francis

Question Re: GPO4 Aria Player and Linux

Is a native Linux version still in the works or has this been cancelled?
    K3 / GPO / Leopard Intel iMac 2nd GEN / Logic Express

Quote Originally Posted by lintweaker View Post
    Is a native Linux version still in the works or has this been cancelled?
    It has not been canceled, but it is going to take some time. In the meanwhile the WINE implementation may work well.

Best,

Gary

Go Back to forum