• Register
  • Help

Topic: New to Garritan

Share/Bookmark

New to Garritan

Hello, everyone. First let me say what a good forum you all have here. It's a very helpful and supportive group. Good to see that on the internet.

I've never owned any copy of Garritan, but I'd really like to buy the new Personal Orchestra 4. I've seen the link to the download page and think $149 is a great price for such a wonderful-sounding orchestra.

But first, a few questions. I haven't seen these anywhere else, but I apologize if they've been asked and answered already.

1. To be clear, is the $149 price for the complete library? It's not an upgrade or anything like that? Just wanted to make sure.

2. Is GPO 4 only available as a download or can I buy a disc of it? If so, will the boxed version have a printed manual or only a PDF? To me, the only reason to buy a boxed set would be for a printed manual. (And I don't really need a printed manual, but without one, the download would be just fine.)

3. I'm still undecided on whether to buy Cubase 5 or Logic 9. They're both about the same price, but I like that Cubase will work on both my PC studio and my MacBook. Will the new GPO 4 work with Logic 9 without having to use one of those "Audio Wrappers?" If it only works with Cubase, then I have my answer as to which one of those programs to buy.

4. I read somewhere that I can install the Garritan library on both computers, provided I only use one at a time. Is that correct? I'd like to be able to transfer files back and forth, depending on whether I'm working at home or out of the studio.

5. Until I get Cubase 5, will GPO 4 work with Garageband?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks so much for any answers you can give me.

Re: New to Garritan

Hi and Welxome to the forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by IMFletcher View Post
    1. To be clear, is the $149 price for the complete library? It's not an upgrade or anything like that? Just wanted to make sure.
    Correct. That's the complete library.
    2. Is GPO 4 only available as a download or can I buy a disc of it? If so, will the boxed version have a printed manual or only a PDF? To me, the only reason to buy a boxed set would be for a printed manual. (And I don't really need a printed manual, but without one, the download would be just fine.)
    Right now only as a download. If everything is in tip top shape we will replicated disc. In the spirit of being eco-friendly, there will be no printed manual, only a PDF manual. However, we may make one available for purchase on a web publishing shop.
    3. I'm still undecided on whether to buy Cubase 5 or Logic 9. They're both about the same price, but I like that Cubase will work on both my PC studio and my MacBook. Will the new GPO 4 work with Logic 9 without having to use one of those "Audio Wrappers?" If it only works with Cubase, then I have my answer as to which one of those programs to buy.
    It should work in Logic as an audio Units plugin.
    4. I read somewhere that I can install the Garritan library on both computers, provided I only use one at a time. Is that correct? I'd like to be able to transfer files back and forth, depending on whether I'm working at home or out of the studio.
    You can use GPO4 on up to four computers, simultaneously - not one at a time.
    5. Until I get Cubase 5, will GPO 4 work with Garageband?
    Yes, it should work in Garageband with no problems.
    Hope this helps,

Gary Garritan

Hi--I was starting to answer a few of your questions and see that Gary did before I finished! So this is just to confirm that it works perfectly in Logic (downloaded it today). It works in Garageband too, which I used till recently, but you can do even more with Logic because you have more control over the midi parameters. GOP4's a fantastic value; I know you'll enjoy it. And welcome!

Welcome, IMFletcher!

And looks like we've rolled out the red carpet with you -Mr. Garritan himself detailing all the answers you needed. That's the kind of place this is.

GPO4=Inspiration Heaven. It really is.

---(Sonar - Sonar - Sonar--hehe--plug for my preferred app)

Randy

Welcome, IMFletcher! Just want to say a friendly, "Hello" to you on your first visit(s) to this forum and bulletin board. I think that you'll find this place a friendly, supportive and informative place to visit.

Got to give another "Thumbs Up" for the latest version of GPO (GPO4). Actually, all versions are a "Thumbs Up" in my book. I have Logic Pro 8 (on an Apple machine, of course). The GPO4/Aria player works just fine with Logic.

Regarding your Logic Verses Cubase question. Gosh. I own versions of both software programs. Also own earlier version of the Sonar program by Cakewalk. All have their strengths and their weaknesses. And to complicate things even further, one person's opinion of any of the program's strengths may be another person's opinion of that same software's weaknesses. But the bottom line is that all get the work done. All software programs record multi-tracks of audio and all are fine in sequencing your projects. I'm am partial to the Logic program. A lot of GPO users here seems to use Cakewalk's Sonar program. My humble suggestion would be to Google search on each of these programs and read all of the varied opinions and reviews that have been written by the many users & reviewers. If there's an opportunity to trial any of the program, give yourself that opportunity and trial it. My vote?? Go for Logic. However, there will be others that say, "Go for Cubase!" or "Go for Sonar!" I honestly believe that there's no wrong choice. Rather, it's a personal choice in workflow. Each of the programs have slightly different workflows to get the end result: recorded/sequenced music. But all do a fine job in getting the job done, in my humble opinion.

Good luck with your decision(s).

Ted

(Get Logic. . . Get Logic. . . Get Logic. . . LOL!)
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Hello IMFletcher. Just to add my welcome to our forums. You will find all the help you need here with friendly and willing members.

Good luck.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Thanks, everybody!

Especially you, Mr. Garritan. Answered all my questions. I really appreciate that.

I decided to buy Cubase 5. I know that most people here use Sonar, but I'm not even remotely familiar with that program (I've used Cubase SX3). From all the internet research I did on the three programs, it seems like they all have certain features that people swear they can't live without, but no one can say definitively that one is superior to the others. Sorta like the whole Mac/PC debate (now that I have both, I have to say I like them both the same, just for different reasons).

(Which is basically the same thing that you said, Ted!)

So now I'm going to purchase the new GPO4. Had to wait until today to do it. Don't want to pack too much into one billing cycle. I bought the new Final Cut Studio last week. Here's hoping I can get everything to play together nicely, since writing music for videos is the main reason I wanted Garritan to begin with.

Looking forward to reading the manual (along with all the others). Hope I'm familiar enough with it before Cubase arrives so I can start composing right away.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! Now off to find that download link...

Welcome to Garritan.

Sounds like you've got everything together. Cubase is a great sequencer.

Looking forward to hearing some music from you once you're all up and running!

Thanks, Chris! Just listened to some of your music on your page. Great stuff! You're very talented.

My download of GPO4 took 21 minutes. That's on my MacBook, wirelessly. No glitches at all. (I had read about some download problems earlier. Looks like it's working fine now.)

I agree with several others that this is a very nicely written manual. Well done, Misters Garritan and Hopkins!

Go Back to forum