• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Cubase 4 crash

Share/Bookmark

OT: Cubase 4 crash

Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this particular problem. Brief description. Sonica Labs Quad 2.66, Windows pro 32, Cubase 4.5.2, CME UF8, Midisport 8x8, and Tascam US-428 (for transport controls only).

I started working on a project last night and I'm actually using Cubase to trigger my microkorg. I didnt have any vsts loaded at all and I can run some serious amounts of vsts with no problem.

So I record a simple midi bass line and then start playing with the mod wheel on my main controller, the UF-8, as an overdub to add some spice. As I do this, all of a sudden Cubase stops responding. I think it's just an odd glitch and I reboot windows and start over again. Within seconds of doing the exact same thing, it does it again. The other thing that happens when this crash occurs is that my Tascam US-428, which I only use for it's transport controls, stops working too and I have to reset it before I restart Cubase or it wont work.

I dont know if I'm overloading the USB ports with data or what? I mean, the UF-8 midis to my midisport and it drives the microkorg which isnt sending midi back through it's out because it isn't even plugged in to transmit, only to recieve. The US-428 is connected via USB as is the midisport. It seems like I remember this happening on another project when using the modwheel but it's been a while.

Anysuggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: OT: Cubase 4 crash

Too much MIDI information (mod wheel) can cause Cubase to stop; but it usually starts again once all the data has been processed. It not Cubase tho its your computer. I still get this sometimes on Cubase 5 where there is a lot of MIDI data, usually palying along with several tracks

Hope that helps, but it might not be your problem
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

What device feeds Cubase MIDI? I had to stop using my Midisport for incoming MIDI due to exactly these problems.

D

I took a guess and disconnected the US-428. I still got the crash. Then, I reconnected it and used it's midi input for my controller instead of the Midisport. Ever since then, I havent had a crash. Maybe it has something to do with the midisport not being able to handle all the midi. Anyway, happy for now. Thanks for your response.

Unhappy Re: OT: Cubase 4 crash

I have US-428 and UF-6.

Both have this random incopatibility with Cubase 4.

A pity...when they works, they are a very nice platform.

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins View Post
    I took a guess and disconnected the US-428. I still got the crash. Then, I reconnected it and used it's midi input for my controller instead of the Midisport. Ever since then, I havent had a crash. Maybe it has something to do with the midisport not being able to handle all the midi. Anyway, happy for now. Thanks for your response.
    Yes, I use the Multiface MIDI ins now, and it fixed my problems as well.

OT
    Why is it so hard to find a decent MIDI interface? I guess that as tie goes on it will become more and more difficult, die to the fact that less of us use synth hardware now.

D

Go Back to forum