• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: SAM brass- short articulations in GPO4?

Share/Bookmark

SAM brass- short articulations in GPO4?

I'm enjoying the new GPO4 and Aria player. Just a question- are there any staccato SAM brass patches/KS or do we simply work with the length tool? I tried that last night but it did not seem to have any marked effect so I assume I'm doing something wrong.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Re: SAM brass- short articulations in GPO4?

Hi, davecos - Glad you're enjoying Gary's great new GPO4/Aria!

There are not alternate articulations of the SAM Brass to choose from. If your staccato passages aren't sounding the way you want, the Length tool is indeed what you want to work with.

You're correct that the change in a sample's length doesn't change very dramatically with that tool, but it does help setting it at the lowest values for staccato passages.

Remember you can automate the Length control with CC21 - You don't want to set the Length at one setting for a whole piece.

Randy

Don't forget to get the quickest attack (needed for staccato) to use high note velocities. The lower velocity, the softer attack, to the point where you will hardly hear the instrument for the shortest notes at lowest velocities.

Quote Originally Posted by L0W View Post
    Don't forget to get the quickest attack (needed for staccato) to use high note velocities. The lower velocity, the softer attack, to the point where you will hardly hear the instrument for the shortest notes at lowest velocities.
    Adding to LOW's excellent velocity explanation, the actual note length in conjunction with a low cc#21 value should do the trick

So far I am totally delighted with GPO4 and the Sam Brass - but just in case, how does one find and adjust cc#21?

Doing ok now, Dave?

Velocity is a big key in GPO, and not used the way it is in the standard MIDI spec. Usually velocity controls volume, but with most of the GPO instruments, woods, strings, brass, the velocity controls the speed of the attack envelope, as L0W mentioned. So obviously you need high velocity values, probably full out 127 for staccato.

And then as we've all said, you tighten up how fast the note shuts down with the "length" control - and obviously you want very short note lengths. I bet you can get what you want going with those Brass samples.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    So far I am totally delighted with GPO4 and the Sam Brass - but just in case, how does one find and adjust cc#21?
    Easiest way is in the piano roll view if your using a sequencer like Sonar or assign cc21 to the staccato marking in Finale or Overture - something similar should be available in Sibelius. For staccato set cc#21 to around 20 then back to about 60 for legato & normal

EDIT: Whoops--Mike swooped in with the answer. Oh well, redundancy can help answers sink in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Hi, Tom - you were posting the same time as me - Well, of course there's the cc21 dial on the control page for each instrument in Aria. But you want to control its values the way you do any MIDI controller - With a keyboard, program a control to send out cc21, or in the Piano Roll View, draw it in.

If you need the length value super short, like in Dave's staccato example, you don't want to keep that control short for the next passage without legato--so that's when you need to control the cc21 value in your project.

Notation users - hmmm, they'd have to explain. But I'm just saying it's the same as how you use any of your controllers - cc1, cc10 etc.

Randy

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will try that tonight.

Tha sadly story is that you can`t edit the samples, for example, shorten the attacks. And..... .

But these things you can for sure do in the Aria-Sampler!

I hope an Aria-Sampler will come very sooooon!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum