• Register
  • Help

Topic: Full Fathom Five

Share/Bookmark

Full Fathom Five

Here's a jazzy little tune I put together some time ago (eons actually) revisited in JABB and stuff like that.

http://www.box.net/shared/05zvtng03o
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Re: Full Fathom Five

Hi!

This is really cool. I really like the piano part, and the changing textures...the bass line is really cool and subtle, I like that. This has a really nice feel to it, Well done.

I like the subtle percussion, really interesting piece. Thanks for sharing.

Hi, Derek

This has a unique sound and flavor to it, and that's an accomplishment on its own.

Allow me to pass on a note on MIDI control---This would be helped with vibrato control, after touch--the brass is lacking in the greater realism it could have with the use of it. I thought at first that the opening trumpet was a synth because it had no vibrato.

And a note on the mix - the brass section on the right sounds overly dry in proportion to the rest of the mix.--And the rhythm section is Way under powered in contrast--I really wanted to hear better what the drums, bass and piano were doing.

I hope those comments are taken to be constructive suggestions as I intend them to be.

Neat music--Wish I could hear it better!

Randy

Thanks RANDY - Interestingly (or not) I had a lot of aftertouch vibrato in the piece but having left for a couple of days decided that it was too much and just before I posted it I took most of it out.

Because the rhythm was repetitve, I didn't want it to overwhelm the mix or drive the listener mad!!! but I will try it with a bit more oomph on these bits. Thanks for the comments.

Thanks Chris for listening.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

I'll have to agree with Randy here - I like the writing, but I really don't care for the mix as much.
    Trent P. McDonald

Love that constant underlying beat... got me wiggling and grooving in my chair -- and I need the exercise ;-)

This, for me, is a real "feel-good" piece, something that evokes dancing on a warm summer night somewhere in the Carribean, or Jamaica, under a straw-topped canope with a lot of friendly native folk in colorful attire. And at the side, a bartender with great stories and funky drinks with umbrellas in them and amusing names.

(Side note: the weirdest-named drink I ever consumed was at a hole-in-the-wall word-of-mouth-only lounge in Colorado Springs: the "Screaming Monkey Spanker". It was very tasty ;-) )

Thanks for posting this; very enjoyable!

-- Karen

Go Back to forum