• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Reverb for Orchestral

Share/Bookmark

Reverb for Orchestral

Has anyone nailed a custom tweak within NFX Reverb/Multi-Effects for orchestral. I still
    have not found the right setting.

I do send midi to audio and use plug ins but ...

Thanks

------------------
    Francis Belardino
    Sound Designer
    Audio Visions, LTD.
    Wilmington, DE.
    www.audiovisionsonline.com

Re: Reverb for Orchestral

I do not have my own Gigastudio system yet, but I\'ve built one for a friend (who is an orchestra conductor, BTW) and tried it out a little bit. We both think that NFX reverb is not acceptable in quality with orchestral sounds and we\'re looking for a better solution.
    I\'ve posted a topic yesterday about this (Lexicon vs TC reverb).
    Many people here use orchestral samples and in my opinion good reverb unit and setup are essential to realistic results.
    It\'s an interesting subject, I hope other will bring their opinions.

rediesisminore

I prefer my Lexicon MPX1 for orchestral reverb. It is more \'muddy\' than TC - TC can be too clean for this kind of stuff. I have a TC M-One which I occasionally use for brass, but I find it more useful for loooooooong, clean verbs a la Mike Oldfield. Software verbs - the best I heard so far is the Waves RVerb. It is actually very good! Sometimes I add that on top of a mix in the end to give it even more \'hall feel\'.

Simon, I agree with you that TC are too clean, but, on the other hand Lexicon sounds too \'boxy\' (if you see what I mean) to my hears. I talk about the MPX1 which I tried last year in a studio before buying it and... I ended up in not buying it because it lacked the deepness and spaceness of the M3000 I tried the day before. Actually the M-One is far away in quality from the M3000 and is not suitable to orchestral sounds.
    It would be interesting to listen to a high end Lexicon!
    My only fear is that I\'m too much used to the acoustic of concert halls to find an acceptable reverb unit!
    I\'ve also asked for a demo of the Sony sample reverb, very expensive but maybe...another world! who knows ?!

Try Altiverb, a plug-in for Mac only. You have to hear these classical hall emulations to believe it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rediesisminore:
    Simon, I agree with you that TC are too clean, but, on the other hand Lexicon sounds too \'boxy\' (if you see what I mean) to my hears. I talk about the MPX1 which I tried last year in a studio before buying it and... I ended up in not buying it because it lacked the deepness and spaceness of the M3000 I tried the day before. Actually the M-One is far away in quality from the M3000 and is not suitable to orchestral sounds.
    It would be interesting to listen to a high end Lexicon!
    My only fear is that I\'m too much used to the acoustic of concert halls to find an acceptable reverb unit!
    I\'ve also asked for a demo of the Sony sample reverb, very expensive but maybe...another world! who knows ?!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i\'m finding a combination of reverbs is workign well. I like Acoustic Modeler alot but, it tens to soudn too thin at times. Its great for space...but then I have to EQ again. I also like my Reverb from the VS1680...which I\'m planning on getting rid of soon...sooo I may look at the Roland Reverb unit they have..forget what its called. using them in conjunction can soudn good. I still ahven\'t figured the best way yet tho. I used to get great sounds from jsut the VS reverbs..btu i want to use a little bit of acoustic modeler for the \"air\" you can get

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Avar:
    Try Altiverb, a plug-in for Mac only. You have to hear these classical hall emulations to believe it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sure do wish Altiverb would come out with a PC version because it does sound very good for orchestral stuff.

The Quantec \"Yard Stick\" is worth considering for orchestral reverb. I have not personally used this reverb device, but many who are into classical music room simulation are very impressed with the Quantec. www.quantec.com

Kip
    Bardstown Audio www.bardstownaudio.com

What are some of other hardware reverb units that the rest of you use for Movie Scoring/Orchestral music?

One of those is Lexicon.

Go Back to forum