• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Something Sinister

Share/Bookmark

Something Sinister

Two little ditties from my musical:

Greeme's Lament
    (Lead male, having made a huge blunder in his attempt to win over lead female, just, well... laments!)
    Vocals: Kevin Massey (Tarzan- Broadway)

Something Sinister
    (An 'oracle' kinda character advises her friend of dangers ahead... but wait... who's face does she see in the darkness?)
    Vocals: Alyssa Robbins, Daniel Rockett (Roger, Rent- National Tour, Judas, Jesus (u/s) Jesus Christ Superstar- Broadway)

Equity folk so have to credit them

Not everyone's cup of tea but I hope a few enjoy listening.

Best wishes,

Paul
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Re: Something Sinister

Paul,

My goodness, this is "spot on".
    I've listened to Something Sinister. You are correct, not everyone's "cup of tea", including mine, BUT, wow, the vocals are wonderful harmonious and the music accompanies perfectly.

Randy and I are having our "differences" right now, but he has got to hear this. I think he will be very surprised and be able to speak on this genre better than I.

Thanks for the post.
    M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Paul, this is GREAT! I love it!
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

And I'm in the middle there, applauding my heart out!

Fantastic, Paul!---Wonderful to hear more from your show. Both songs are packed with dramatic effectiveness, are right there, fitting perfectly in the modern musical pocket.

I don't know how anybody can not like good theatre music, but we know that for whatever the reasons that is the case-For some folks Nothing written for the stage is their "cup of tea." It doesn't matter, and it's to be expected. And since it's such a predictable given, I feel that your caveat "not everyone's cup of tea" is too humble in your post. A motto I feel is the best for everyone to use is - Never apologize for your work! If someone doesn't like it--Big Shrug!

You have a good, confident grip on the current "commercial" sound of musicals much more successfully than I do. So far I've found it impossible to not push the envelope too far, to go too far outside of the box - as per my semi-operatic and not-very-commercial sounding "Dorian."

Big, happy, heart felt kudos to you!

And HEY---very impressive that you have these solid, theatre style vocalists for these demos--How was That arranged?! - MOooooney is behind you, I take it?

The orchestrations are punchy and perfectly appropriate. Quite the big fat bass sound in the first track--what was that?

Really happy for you, Paul. After a distressing, downer kind of morning, your exciting music has been the perfect antidote. Thank you!

Randy

Paul

Something Sinister is way cool.

I love the harmonies used and the melody seems far from typical Broadway.

But then what I know about musicals would barely fill a thimble.

Nicely done.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Paul,

My goodness, this is "spot on".
    I've listened to Something Sinister. You are correct, not everyone's "cup of tea", including mine, BUT, wow, the vocals are wonderful harmonious and the music accompanies perfectly.

Randy and I are having our "differences" right now, but he has got to hear this. I think he will be very surprised and be able to speak on this genre better than I.

Thanks for the post.
    M
    Thanks for commenting, Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    Paul, this is GREAT! I love it!
    Thank you, kind sir! Glad you think so

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

And I'm in the middle there, applauding my heart out!

Fantastic, Paul!---Wonderful to hear more from your show. Both songs are packed with dramatic effectiveness, are right there, fitting perfectly in the modern musical pocket.

I don't know how anybody can not like good theatre music, but we know that for whatever the reasons that is the case-For some folks Nothing written for the stage is their "cup of tea." It doesn't matter, and it's to be expected. And since it's such a predictable given, I feel that your caveat "not everyone's cup of tea" is too humble in your post. A motto I feel is the best for everyone to use is - Never apologize for your work! If someone doesn't like it--Big Shrug!

You have a good, confident grip on the current "commercial" sound of musicals much more successfully than I do. So far I've found it impossible to not push the envelope too far, to go too far outside of the box - as per my semi-operatic and not-very-commercial sounding "Dorian."

Big, happy, heart felt kudos to you!

And HEY---very impressive that you have these solid, theatre style vocalists for these demos--How was That arranged?! - MOooooney is behind you, I take it?

The orchestrations are punchy and perfectly appropriate. Quite the big fat bass sound in the first track--what was that?

Really happy for you, Paul. After a distressing, downer kind of morning, your exciting music has been the perfect antidote. Thank you!

Randy
    Thank you, Randy, for your comments and expression of encouragement and support for the show and what I do!

I too, cannot conceive of how anyone cannot like musical theatre! But, that can be said about any style or genre I suppose. For example, personally, I cannot bear to listen to that offensive, racist, sexist rap nonsense that seems to be popular these days. Fans of this style most likely cannot understand why and how someone could not like it! Hehe, the topic of musical taste is an interesting one and perhaps one day, I will do some research on it (and write a musical about it!)

With regards to that commercial sound, I have been to the other extreme too, and in the past, some of my work has been described as 'weird' and 'too out there for Broadway'. In the end, I write what I feel the heart tells me to write- sometimes that comes from the frustration of numerous "we like this and want to stage a full production and take it to Broadway" comments I have heard from producers and sometimes it comes from my stubbornness and refusal to conform to the mainstream 'rules' of musical theatre writing. What I have learned from all this is, even the big guys out there, including my favorites (Stephen Sondheim, Stephen Schwartz, Jason Robert Brown, Boublil and Schonberg) all emphasize one common key piece of advice in order to achieve success: they say 'it is ok to write the music you want to write but for it to be heard and liked by the masses, you must stick to form. It is tried and tested and people who have failed are those who break away from form'. It is very true and in a conversation I had with Stephen Schwartz (oops, let me pick that up off the floor, sorry I dropped it), he told me that it is VITAL that in every part of the process of writing a show, to remember form in both song and lyric AND in storytelling and structure.

But, anyway, I ramble on, as usual lol. I guess what I am trying to say is the commercial sound to which you refer is something I have fought with for years- but something which I guess, going from the advice of the professionals out there, is the direction I chose to go and sound I should aim for... at least until I can afford to write less conventional pieces.

When I listen to Dorian, I often think how cleverly crafted it is. Lyrically and musically. Very Sondheim-esque in style and structure at times, as well as having some 'catchy', easy to remember melodies and counter melodies. Sondheim was stubborn too - he wrote what HE wanted to write, and was often in depression from the reactions of the public. I'm sure you know his story.

Moving on to the vocalists. None of them were paid- as they are demo recordings. I know them through NY contacts and such and mostly by simply calling them when I hear their voices, and being 'cheeky' enough to ask them to come into the studio and sing for us. In return, we are not allowed to sell the songs (Equity rules) and the performers are able to add the demos to their portfolio - this looks good for us, when they put our show on their resumé which is often in the hands of Broadway producers.

I wish I could say that money is behind us but it is not. I am penniless and struggling to make ends meet right now. It's the starving artist scenario here, alright!

The bass sound on the first track is some plug in that comes with Cubase SX. Pretty standard but I pushed it through some filters and EQ'ed it to try to get the sound I wanted.

I am sorry to hear you had a "downer" morning and I hope you are able to take your mind off the things that are bothering you. When I have days like this (of which there seem to be many lately), I usually find something funny to read or watch- then I will listen to some musical theatre piece which inspires me. Now I have another option: "Levitating", thanks to you!

Have a relaxing weekend, Randy. Let the stress drain from you, feel the weight dissipate and allow yourself to drift to a place of relaxation.

Om...

Best wishes,
    Paul

Superb!

These are both blow-them-away hot numbers, Paul.
    Loved both of them!

This is theater writing at its absolute best, my friend;
    congratulations on such outstanding material.

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Superb!

These are both blow-them-away hot numbers, Paul.
    Loved both of them!

This is theater writing at its absolute best, my friend;
    congratulations on such outstanding material.

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Cor, blimey, Gov'nor!

Thanks, David for these comments. What a nice compliment to receive

I'm glad you enjoyed listening.

Best wishes,
    Paul