• Register
  • Help

Topic: M-Audio, Aria GPO4, and Finale settings.

Share/Bookmark

M-Audio, Aria GPO4, and Finale settings.

Is anyone using an M-Audio keyboard? I have an 88se and for the life of me I cannot seem to get the setting correct so that it will play through Finale, or allow me to enter notation as I play. I know it is just a matter of settings, but I've been tryinh now for several hours and have no luck except managing to get Finale 2010 to crash a few times.

Re: M-Audio, Aria GPO4, and Finale settings.

Hi Tom,

You've installed the latest M-Audio drivers from their website?

If so, make sure your keyboard is plugged in before you start Finale, then go to MIDI/Audio>Device Setup>MIDI Setup, and select it from the drop down list. If you have multiple VST instruments loaded, click "Show Advanced" and select the keyboard for all the banks so that it will send input to all VST ports.

Also in the Device Setup menu, you'll want to make sure MIDI Thru is checked, which will let you noodle on the keyboard.

Hope this helps,
    Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    Hi Tom,

You've installed the latest M-Audio drivers from their website?

If so, make sure your keyboard is plugged in before you start Finale, then go to MIDI/Audio>Device Setup>MIDI Setup, and select it from the drop down list. If you have multiple VST instruments loaded, click "Show Advanced" and select the keyboard for all the banks so that it will send input to all VST ports.

Also in the Device Setup menu, you'll want to make sure MIDI Thru is checked, which will let you noodle on the keyboard.

Hope this helps,
    Reegs
    Reegs,

I did as you suggested, but when I go to "Advanced" and "Device" there are no options for device - it just says, "none," no matter what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Reegs,

I did as you suggested, but when I go to "Advanced" and "Device" there are no options for device - it just says, "none," no matter what I do.
    Hey Tom,

That's strange. I have an M-Audio keyboard (49e) and use it with Finale 2009 without any issues. Under the Midi Set-up that Reegs mentioned I get USB Device, which is how I have mine set up. It's always possible you could have a bad USB cord. Only other thing I can think to do is try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. Hope this helps.

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Speaking of Finale, I opened the Setup Wizard and found GPO4 instrument definitions ready to go. That's great! I'd assumed something minor like this would take months for some user to rig up, but here it was built in.

On that note, does there exist a definition file for the Garritan Steinway? I could probably do it myself, but I don't know some of the needed values, like "LibraryID."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Reegs,

Ok then, it sounds as though your MIDI keyboard is not being recognized by the computer. Is there another MIDI-capable application on your system that you could use to confirm this (Reaper or Sonar or MIDI OX perhaps?)

Try a different USB cord as Gary suggested, also try reinstalling the M-audio drivers (on Vista, make sure User Account Control is temporarily disabled while you do this.) If the keyboard is USB-powered it may also be an issue of insufficient current. How many other USB devices are plugged in?

Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    Ok then, it sounds as though your MIDI keyboard is not being recognized by the computer. Is there another MIDI-capable application on your system that you could use to confirm this (Reaper or Sonar or MIDI OX perhaps?)

Try a different USB cord as Gary suggested, also try reinstalling the M-audio drivers (on Vista, make sure User Account Control is temporarily disabled while you do this.) If the keyboard is USB-powered it may also be an issue of insufficient current. How many other USB devices are plugged in?

Reegs
    I have a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse in USB - nothing else. I've tried different USB ports, but no luck. I tried it with Finale 2009 - again no luck. The device shows up as an active device under Manage VST Plugins. But that's the only place I see it.

I deleted all of the-Audio files and started over. I downloaded the driver from M-Audio page, rab the Live 6 software and followed the instructions as best I could understand them.

Now I can hear the keyboard, but not playing through VST - only through MIDI. No matter what I set up for ARIA nothing will come through.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Buck View Post
    Speaking of Finale, I opened the Setup Wizard and found GPO4 instrument definitions ready to go. That's great! I'd assumed something minor like this would take months for some user to rig up, but here it was built in.

On that note, does there exist a definition file for the Garritan Steinway? I could probably do it myself, but I don't know some of the needed values, like "LibraryID."
    Which version of Finale? I have Finale 2009 and while there are a couple of Aria player definitions, none exist for the full orchestra. I know the Finale Instruments Aria version came out with 2009 so I'm not surprised. I did try out a couple patches last night with GPO4 and it does seem to activate the correct things mind you....

Well, I thought I had to play through VST to get ARIA sounds, but with the keyboard I must instead play through MIDI. Okay, that said and done, now I find that while using ARIA GPO4 set up I cannot get the sustain or expression pedal to work. In other words, I can get all the sounds I was looking for, but now I need to gain control over the two pedals.

Go Back to forum